This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great plugin - but help needed with AVI thumbnails

I've been using 3.1.3 for about a week now and have just configured the AVI captures. They work great and with DivX encoding the filesize is much reduced.
    However, when I call up the avi thumbnails page (listthumbsavi.asp) all I get is a red cross for each vavi, along with the filename and size.
    They play fine when I click on them.
    I have put on maximum debug but nothing appears in the log.
    Any ideas anyone,
    Thanks,
    JimBob

Are the AVI files in a folder under the homeseer/html folder?

Comment

Whoosh! Thanks for the quick reply.
      Yes, they directory resides under homeseer/html/avi/<camera_name>

Thanks.
      JimBob

Comment

OK just thought I would check. That was a similar problem when I started. I am not using AVI yet but plan to work on that tomorrow.

Comment

Right now, the AVI thumbnail will only work for Windows XP. You can check this for your self by using Windows Explorer and using the View-Thumbnails option. If you have thumbnails for AVI's then it should work with this plugin - if it doesn't show thumbnails, then it will not work with this plugin.

I have scoured the Internet looking for why AVI's won't display thumbnails for AVI's in Windows Explorer but haven't found anything. Maybe someone else might have better luck.
          Bryan
          (Config is in my profile)

Comment

Thanks Bryan. I am using XP Pro but avi thumbnails didn't appear in windows explorer when I selected "View Thumbnails". I did a search for restoring AVI thumbnails in XP and came across this website with various tweaks on:
            http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
            The one to restore AVI thumbnails worked for windows explorer as I now see the thumbnails but they still don't show on ListThumbsAVI.asp, even when using the browser locally on the HS machine.

Regards,
            JimBob

Comment

Bryan,

I've been doing some more investigating trying to get AVI thumbnails working on the ListThumbsAVI.asp page.
              I have noticed that the jpg files created in the "Thumbs" subdirectory under my AVI captures directory have zero filesize.
              I have checked what looked like obvious settings in the browser but am still not getting the thumbnails.
              Any ideas of what else I could look at?

(Captures, both stills and DivX AVI are working a treat!)

Cheers,
              JimBob

Comment

I've looked high and low but I can't figure out why it doesn't work. I'm working on an alternative solution that simple opens the AVI using DirectX API calls and looks for the first valid frame and creates the tuhmbnail from that. The problem with that solution is that won't for for MPEG's and support for capturing MPEG's using hardware encoding capture cards is just about ready.
                Bryan
                (Config is in my profile)

Comment

Working...
                X