Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Do you recommend Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you recommend Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350?

Hello,
    We want to capture video cassettes (VHS-Beta-Hi8-VHS-C) in mpeg-2 format, then make DVD.

We want to use Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350. WE KNOW IT IS A PROFESSIONAL TV CARD. We are not interested in its tv capabilities. We hear that this product does realtime hardware mpeg-2 capture. And it is very difficult to find a completely hardware realtime capture card. We want to learn whether this product is used for professional mpeg-2 and mpeg-1 captures from analog sources (vhs-beta etc.) We consider important the quality of capturing very much. We need a professional DVD capture card.
    Thank you very much.

I just purchased the Hauppauge PVR250 and so far I very impressed with the image quality. I don't know if you'd call this card a "Professional DVD Capure card" or not but it make pretty darn good MPG's. One thing though, go out and buy a lot of disk space and make sure you have a very fast processor (1Ghz or better) - this is for video editing and recompressing MPG's. During capture, my dual P3 868Mhz/.75Gb RAM runns about 11-20% utilization.

I haven't tried burning a DVD from captured video yet - any one tried it?
    Bryan
    (Config is in my profile)

Comment

I have the PVR250, and am very satisfied with it.

I have my VHS VCR hooked to it now, capturing old tapes to MPG files, and burning them to DVD with DVD Movie Factory. The DVD quality depends on the original tape - with good tapes the resulting video can be very good.

Comment

Osman,
        It's been my experience that the 350 is the best for output quality (as good as the input).
        I'm not sure if the hardware encoding/decoding has any impact on the quality of the output, but it definetly takes the burden off of the cpu.
        If all you are going to be using the card for is ripping from vhs, I'd say you're making a wise choice.

my 2 cents

Eric

Comment

Ciao,
          I have a wintv pvr 350 and I'm very satisfied for tv-recording quality, now I need to capture and edit old videotape to trasform it in dvd.
          I would appreciate to know which are the best formulations (resolution and bitrate) for the capture from camcorder vhs-c. Thanks.

Piermario
          (Italy)
          p.s. Excuse me for bad english.

Comment

Pier,
            Your spelling and grammar far surpasses most of the US/Canadian members!

Check out some of collegeboys posts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Piermario
            (Italy)
            p.s. Excuse me for bad english. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

~Bill

Comment

Hi Bryan,
              Any update on the PVR-350 streaming support? My temp Capture license expired again. Now that the baby is here, BabyCam gets front of the line project status.

Thanx!
              David

Comment

how?

hi, I just got this card, the tv and radio options seem to be straight forward but I cant figure out how to capture from my video camera; I did it in linux (with no sound) but I need more help in windows

Comment

Originally posted by rastiazul View Post
                  hi, I just got this card, the tv and radio options seem to be straight forward but I cant figure out how to capture from my video camera; I did it in linux (with no sound) but I need more help in windows
                  Do you have the Hauppauge plugin loaded in HomeSeer and configured?
                  -Rupp
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X