Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

WMP10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMP10

When I upgraded to WMP10 it broke video capture. Single picture still works and preview still works, but video capture gets an Automation error. I backed out the upgrade and the problem persists. I installed the WebCam plugin and it doesn't get this problem (but it has plenty of other problems of its own).

I'm about to write my own plugin so that I have more control over it

Right now I have no working video capture.

Bill

Bill,
    Why write your own when there's packages like iVista and WebCam32? What does the WebCAm plugin offer above these?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Rupp,
      Integration into HomeSeer. The ability to initiate captures from an event, etc. Otherwise I'd rather not spend the time/effort to write my own, and I don't want to even think about the hours and hours and hours I've wasted trying to get either of the plugins to work and getting nowhere. So now that I've said all that I am wondering the same thing, why not iVista or WebCam32? I think I will take a look at those products.

Thanks,
      Bill

Comment

Well that tells me that if it works, don't take Microsoft's word and fix what isn't broken.

Comment

I installed WMP10 and the video capture (AVI) still works for me however, the captured video is very choppy - so much for MS improvements?? Hopefully MS will be posting some updates for either WMP10 or DirectX that resolves this issue. I'm also looking into how to resolve the issue as well.
          Bryan
          (Config is in my profile)

Comment

UPDATE: I found the problem on my system. I track the video and audio codec used to encode the AVI's by their index number. When WMP10 was installed it must have changed these indexes because my AVI's were being encoded with a strange codec. I reset the video codec (on the Canera/avi tab of the config form) to DivX 5.1 and my AVI record is back to normal.
            Bryan
            (Config is in my profile)

Comment

Bryan,

Thanks for the info, that fixed my problem. I am now back to using the Hauppauge plugin. I guess the index on my system ended up being an incompatible codec. I'm still contemplating writing my own, but not until I have a lot of free time on my hands, which isn't likely any time soon.

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X