This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streaming question

After a few months of not having the streaming active due to my hardware, I was ACTUALLY READING the docs. In the streaming section it says that once the streaming is started, it keeps on running until stopped.

What happens if a visitor turned it on and then disconnects? Is it still streaming and another user can just bring up the streaming ASP and it will be feeding immediately? What type of load on the PC if it is streaming and there is NOBODY AT THE OTHER END?

Looking for the upside and downside of the streaming running all the time. I only have one video feed from the controller that has a quad view all the time. At present, that is all I plan to have. Need a few more $ to get MORE HARDWARE.....

Would it work to have a timer start when streaming begins and after so many minutes, 5,10,15?, to automatically stop streaming. If the viewer wants more, all they need to do is start it up again. Pro's Con's?

Found out some answers the hard way

When the streaming is turned on, the Capture Utility takes all remaining computer processing and brings total useage to 100%. If a site visitor goes away, the cpu remains at 100% and all processing slows to a crawl until it is discovered still running and shut down manually.

One answer discovered.

I do have another on streaming though.

If the video to be streamed is on the Homeseer PC, should the address always be //localhost or should it point to a web name that resolves to the Homeseer PC's IP address.

What I am trying to get straight in my mind is can I always force the address to be //localhost and remove the option for a visitor to change it. That way it will always be correct. I can just imagine that most callers won't have any idea on what it should be and try to change it to AOL, or Google.

Same for the port since I am behind a firewall and have a specified port forwarded to that PC on the home network. I would prefer to be able to hard code the address and port so I don't have problems.

Would also like to put a timer on the streaming so it doesn't kill the machine if left in the stream mode. I would think a 5 minute limit would work. If they wanted more, just start it up again. End result would be better than just letting it run for days. You can NEVER expect a visitor to be sure they stop the streaming before they change pages or sites.

3.17 working fine and will put online as soon as I find out the answers to these questions. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

I'll make these changes for the next version
      • a configurable timer that will automatically shut down streaming after that period of time (if 0 it won't time out).
      • I'll remove the address and port stuff from the stream screen and make it configurable in the setup (users would never see it). If it is possible, I'll have the asp page determine if it is running local and if so use http://localhost for the address to connect the stream to.
      Bryan
      (Config is in my profile)

Comment

Thanks

Great plugin and have made good use of it. Thanks for all your efforts.

Comment

Plunge

I am going to put a few cameras onto a modulator- and then modulate to a Hauppage card.

Which one should I buy? I was planning on the 250.

My hope is that I can stream video- and take snapshots.

Where is the documentation for this plugin? Can we make it a sticky?
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
          Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
          weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

If your talking about the Hauppauge PVR-250, it doesn't support streaming. I haven't had any luck in getting streaing working on the hardware encoding capture cards. Documentation (.chm file) is in the zip file for the plugin.

After a long lazy summer, I'm working on a new version right now. New features will be:
            • Configurable auto-off for streaming
            • removal of streaming address and port from streaming page (will be on config form)
            • NINJA support (must have a mr19a) for designated cameras on image snap web page and streaming page
            It's going into beta test next week.
            Bryan

Comment

Ok

So let me ask it this way-- if I were to get myself a Hauppage card- wanted to do streaming video- and stills- what card would I want?

I'd like to spend less than $200.
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
              Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
              weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I'm using a very basic KWorld TV card and it works fine. I haven't had it streaming for a while but it did work. Just haven't spent the time to go back to the DOCS and follow the steps. As I remember, the card was about $40.
                I bought it at a computer flea market a couple of years ago. It has S-Video, TV tuner, and composite.

I run 12 cameras into a 16 input controller and feed 4 of the views in a quad display into the composite input of the card.

I'm sure that there are more fancy cards out there but this works just fine for my use. It uses the 878 chip and works great with the Hauppage plugin.

Comment

Really any capture (tv card) that supports WDM drivers and does not do hardware encoding will work fine. Hardware encoding cards are only supported for still captures.

Hauppauge cards like Win-TV-Go etc can be had on eBay from $20-$50. Some users are also using USB TV capture devices with no problems (as long as they have WDM drivers) - USB 2.0 would work better than 1.1 especially for streaming.
                  Bryan

Comment

Working...
                  X