This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Codec's?

Any specific codec that will work for anyone. I have been using Divx but have been getting feedback that many can't view the AVI's.

Originally posted by Kyham
    Any specific codec that will work for anyone. I have been using Divx but have been getting feedback that many can't view the AVI's.
    Stick with DivX and get them to install the codec. It makes by far the smallest capture at around 1 mb per minute.

Why should you suffer when they only need to get the codec, you culd supply a link to DivX or even allow them to get it from you.

TrOjAn

Comment

Tell them to get DIVX?

These are your normal computer users. They don't even know what to do if they are asked to press "ANY" key, let alone download and install a CODEC.

I would guess that 90% have no idea what a codec is. I am trying to make my system available to anyone and not just TECHIES.

What I am looking for is what can be used by someone that just bought their computer at Best Buy or any other place and it came with XP Home or possibly PRO and really doesn't have a clue about anything.

Comment

Thats a shame as your capture times and file sizes are about to rocket.. you can use any of the standard M$ codecs that come with media player but be warned.. that 1.5 mb 1 minute capture just went up to 10 to 20 mb in size and lcoked up your HS pc while it saves it too. GOOD luck.

TrOjan

Comment

Thanks again Willie Gates!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ah come on guys hard drive space is cheap and if you and they have the bandwidth then it's a no brainer if you want non geeks to play.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
              Ah come on guys hard drive space is cheap and if you and they have the bandwidth then it's a no brainer if you want non geeks to play.
              Its not the space thats the issue Rupp... its the time its going to take to save the file to hard drive after the capture which will tie up HSso it cannot do anything else untill the files saved. Then, its all the extra bandwidth to actually upload the file each time someone wants to look at it.

While that huge file is being saved, HS is unavailable for any ther use you may want it for.

Comment

HS 2.0 should elevate this availability problem but it's either use what non technical users have or not.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I should jump in here. HS is not really tied up when the AVI is being saved. Because the plugin is running on a seperate thread HS is free to do what ever. The plugin won't switch camera's while the AVI is being captured but still can still be captured using the same camera. Try it your self and see, HS will respond to events and such what the AVI is bening captured. Now the CPU resources required to cpture the AVI will vary depending on the codec used. Personaly, I use the Microsoft MPEG-4 Video codec V3 - I have found it provides a great smooth flowing AVI recorded at 640x480 at about 4 -5 MB per minute
                  Bryan
                  (Config is in my profile)

Comment

Well I have decided to stay with DivX

I have added the DivX codex to my Download files and included a comment in the VIDEO button ASP page that they need DivX to view the videos.

If they get a missing codex, they should select the DOWNLOAD button and get the DivX file and install it.

I initially had the link go to DivX site but kept having a problem so just supply it myself. So far it has been working fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X