This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working/Supported Capture Care Post?

I am surprised there is not a sticky note in this forum listing supported/working cards? I am looking for a single input video card to work with the plugin and the only post I can find that recommends anything mentions an HVR-1300. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

It would be impossible to test all cards that the plugin could work with. That being said, the pluing fully supports ANY and ALL capture card that use WDM dirvers and does NOT have harware encoding for MPEGs. For cards that have hardware encoding for MPEGs, it will support still captures but AVI and streaming may or may not work depending on the drivers used with the capture card. It works for some but not for others; for example - my hardware encoding MPEG card (Hauppauge PVR-150) does not capture AVI's or stream video. My production HomeSeer system uses a Hauppauge WinTV card with no hardware MPEG encoding.

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
    I am surprised there is not a sticky note in this forum listing supported/working cards? I am looking for a single input video card to work with the plugin and the only post I can find that recommends anything mentions an HVR-1300. Any other recommendations? Thanks.
    Bryan
    (Config is in my profile)

Comment

A couple more questions...

WinTV-HVR-1250 (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr1250.html)

Would this work? I am going to buy it and use it only for showing security cameras through HomeSeer so I don't need any bells and whistles.

Can I create custom buttons on the web interface that run scripts? I have my video cameras running through a Xantech ZPR-68 so I can switch cameras through scripts that I have already set up. I want to put buttons on the interface to allow selection of different cameras.

Does the plugin have the ability to detect movement on a given camera and trigger events based on this?

Any idea on whether this will work with HStouch?

Thanks for the info. I look forward to ordering a capture card and this plug-in.

Comment

It appears that this card would for capturing stills. Since it uses hardware MPEG encoding it may or may not work with streaming and AVI captures. If you have a way to switch camera's already with scripts it would be reasonably simple to have buttons on your web page that run HS events to switch cameras that could also snap pictures. All the ASP pages supplied with the plugin are fully customizable.

As far as detecting motion, this plugin is designed to use the X10 motion sensors that are fully integrated into the plugin. This plugin does not detect motion in the images to snap pictures. I am not familar with HStouch so I can't offer an opinion on that.
        Bryan

Comment

Can you provide a recommendation on a card that would support streaming video? Thanks.

Comment

It appears I may have misspoke about the WinTV-HVR-1250 card you were thinking about getting. After really reading about it at the Hauppauge site, it uses a software encoder (SoftPVR) to record MPEG2 recordings and it does support AVI recording using DivX encoders. So it looks like it should work. Of course since I don't have one of those cards, I can't guarantee it but it sure looks like it should work.
            Bryan

Comment

Well I also dug into the description a little further and noticed it was a PCI-E board, so that won't work! My HomeSeer server only has PCI and AGP. Can you post the model number of the WinTV card that you have working or one that you believe will work. I found a couple of Hauppage cards around the $50-60 mark but it is very difficult to decipher the specifications to figure out which one might/will work. I want to order something that I know works. Thanks.

Comment

Without tearing my server apart, I don't know the model of the WinTV card I have. I do know that it is a PCI card that uses the 848/9 chip set WDM drivers from Hauppauge.

Any else out there that has a make/model of a capture card/device that works with streaming and AVI captures?
                Bryan

Comment

Try this card

Hi,

I have been using this Hauppauge card for 10 years. Model 558. They are affordable, have three inputs and almost any video capture/streaming software works with it.

Here is a link http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...impactvcb.html

Comment

Yes - you are right x10joe ... I forgot but used one of those cards (actually still have it kicking around somewhere) for a number of years until I upgraded to one with a TV tuner in it. This card has 3 AV inputs on it.

p.s. I did a quick eBay search and this card also looks like it should work:
                    Ebay Item
                    or this one .... Another eBay item
                    Last edited by bmms; March 17, 2008, 08:48 PM.
                    Bryan

Comment

Great, Newegg had the 558 for $43 so I am going to go with that one. Having the three inputs will be more fun as I can run them from my Xantech ZPR-68 and remotely control what appears on each window. I will look forward to downloading and installing the plugin when the card comes. Thanks.

Comment

You mentioned that you could "remotely control what appears on each window". The way the drivers work it that only one input can be active at once so you can only have one window open. You can however, remotely control which input is selected so you can change which camera is displayed.
                        Bryan

Comment

So if I understand this correctly, having a capture card with more than one input does not offer any advantages over a capture card with a single input?

Comment

That really depends on how you are connecting your cameras. If you have a multi channel modulator then a single input would suffice. Having multiple inputs on the capture card is only an advantage if you have say three cameras each hard wired into each of the cards inputs. You can only view one camera at a time unless you have some other hardware device that combines the signals.
                            Bryan

Comment

So even with three inputs on the hardware I can only view one camera simultaneously on a web page (unless I use a combiner or something before it gets to the capture card)? If so, then it would seem that a single input capture card would be just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X