This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HV plugin COM port problems

I've had this before but am pulling my hair out trying to get the HomeVision plugin working on a new install of HS2.

The config utility is very flakey - most of the time it just doesn't want to launch. When it does, changing the com port number doesn't make any difference - HS2 still uses com1!

Anyone got any tips for getting this working - I've manually changed the com port number in the settings.ini file too but this didn't make any difference either.

What version of HS are you running? Are there any errors in the log file when you configure the plugin?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hey Rupp,

It's version 2.0.0.8.

I also get a load of errors in the HS log if I try to create the devices:

27/05/2010 16:18:53 - Warning - 'status' property on device HomeVision Variables Variable 34 was accessed - this property has been deprecated and should not be used.

Is this plugin not supported in HS2 now?

Many thanks

Paul.

Comment

sorry - that's the HomeVision plugin version.

HS2 is 2.4.0.11

Comment

I since discovered that the config button doesn't appear in the interfaces page if you only enable the 'other' interface initially. I had to enable X10 too before the config button appeared even though I won't be using the X10 functions.

Comment

That plug-in is SO old, that yes - there may be issues with getting the config button to appear. However, the configuration page is still Windows based, so if you go to the HomeSeer Windows UI, you should find a menu item there for launching the config windows page. The config button on the web page will also only appear if you are on the HomeSeer system - because it is Windows based, it is not displayed because if you click it, it would not show up on your screen. So on the HomeSeer system, use the Windows UI or try the config button then.

Some plug-ins do not choose to use the HomeSeer UI for the COM port selection, and that plug-in is too old to know that the COM port option in the configuration can be disabled so it does not appear. So, if you configure the COM port using the plug-in configuration screen, it should work - and you can ignore the COM port setting on the Interfaces tab.
            Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks Rick,

Do you mean the HS windows UI - the one with the event log and the options to install a service, help, scripts etc etc?

If so - I can't see a HomeVision menu item anywhere there (I have three for other plugins including MLHSPlugin, pjcComfort2 and mcxXap)

I did figure the config doesn't work from external machines - and have been trying to get it to work on the HS PC itself.

I can get the config window now and can set the com port and baud rate (although only 19200 is listed). BUT on a restart of HS2, it defaults to 1 again.

I do remember vaguely that there was a file somewhere that I modified before to allow different baud rates to also be used - you don't know what that's likely to be do you?

I think there was also a list of possible com ports in there???

Thanks.

Comment

Defaulting to 1 is strange, but I did not write that so I don't know why it is doing that. In the case of really old plug-ins, back in the day when at most you had was 4 COM ports, the plug-in might have limited the COM port number to the range 1-4. Are you using a low numbered COM port?

If there is a file to modify for it, it would be an INI file, and that plug-in was probably back when everybody used HomeSeer's INI file. So, shutdown HomeSeer, and then open up Settings.ini in the config folder and see what you can see there.

If you can't find anything let me know and I'll open up the "ancient code" vault and take a look. ;-)
                Regards,

Comment

Thanks Rick

It's com port 4 I need.

I have already checked the settings.ini file several times - this is what I have in there:

[hspi_homevision]
                  comport=4
                  baudrate=19200
                  gBaseCode=94

So - that would all appear to be OK.

Don't get eaten by huge spiders or the living dead when you're in that vault!

Comment

OK - blew off the dust and dug into the code, it was dried and cracked, but I found out that it was at one time converted to use its own INI file, so check for hspi_HomeVision.ini in your config folder and see if that holds the elusive key to the COM port.

Oh, and with HomeSeer shut down, nuke those lines from HomeSeer's settings.ini file as that may be confusing it.
                    Regards,

Comment

Thanks Rick

No ini file exists - so I guess the installer doesn't install one?

Do you have one to hand?

Comment

No, I do not have one, but I can create one - but there is no reason for there not to be one either, so we might have another problem. Did you check the root HomeSeer folder in case it put it there?

When you access the configuration and click Save, are there any error messages?
                        Regards,

Comment

no ini file of that name anywhere on the PC.

No errors when saving from the config either.

Many thanks.

Comment

OK - I misread the procedure that retrieves the settings... They ARE in HomeSeer's Settings.ini file. Look for a SECTION in that file and create it or edit it to look like this:

[hspi_homevision]
                            baudrate=19200
                            gBaseCode=0
                            comport=4

You WILL have to go back to the config screen to click the Create Devices button after the plug-in is running, because that is the only thing that can find an available IO code to update the gBaseCode entry in the INI file and create the devices. If you get beyond this COM port issue though, I suspect that will be easy. ;-)
                            Regards,

Comment

I already had that in there apart from the basecode which was 96 - I've changed that to 0 but HS still loads with the default of com 1 and all the associated errors.

I tried again to run the config and set it to com 4 but same as every other time - keeps defaulting to 1 again

Comment

Working...
                              X