This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houselinc/Smartlinc Chip Upgrade?

[Intro: using HouseLinc and extended IR cable out of the IROut1 port - cable runs through attic and pops out of the ceiling facing my entertainment center in Living Room]

It appears that many of the device codes I try get an error message in the HS log, something along the lines of:

(Device)Code) is not a valid code in the HouseLinc IR controller hardware

I take it this means I am going to need a chip upgrade? The 888 number posted in another message a few months ago is now just a fast busy, so I called SmartHomePro direct ((949) 794-0950) but no one is in the office on Sunday. I'll call back tomorrow.

I was kinda hoping that a software/firmware upgrade could be downloaded without having to order something, but I'm guessing that won't work...???

Oh well, at least my TV, VCR and Amp codes work....

Glenn

Well, they sorta work....from the logs it appears that when I trigger an X10 event that is set up to run several IR events I get the following in my log:

1/13/2002 11:06:36 AM~!~X10 Received~!~A2 (?) A On
    1/13/2002 11:06:36 AM~!~X10 Trigger (MovieTime)~!~
    1/13/2002 11:06:46 AM~!~Warning~!~No response from HouseLinc, retrying
    1/13/2002 11:06:56 AM~!~Warning~!~Still no response from HouseLinc, resetting port
    1/13/2002 11:07:05 AM~!~Info~!~HouseLinc retry successful
    1/13/2002 11:07:13 AM~!~Error~!~That command is not supported for the selected IR device 42 0D (B~)

The TV turns on, then HS resets the port and resends the commands, the TV turns off while the Amp and VCR come on.

I'm assuming a new chip would fix this issue as well?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Oh well, at least my TV, VCR and Amp codes work....

Glenn<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn

Comment

Hello webwide,
      It appears that you are having difficulties making your HouseLinc work with some newer codes. So am I, but in the long run, you might just want to look at Skibums place and either build or buy one of the "learning IR interfaces".
      I'm planning on doing this myself. In fact, I have most of the components to build one, and just need to find a "vector board".
      I'm sorry to say, but HouseLinc (I have one myself) is really a piece of garbage. Sorry.

With HomeSeer and add on devices, you can do anything - if you have enough ports.

You also need to invest in the PowerMids from X10 or Radio Shack. These take your IR commands and broadcast them to PowerMid receivers.

You should also concider getting the X10 remote and the MR26A rceiver that comes with some of the X10 "toys". Geoff Epstine did an excellent job on the code to receive the remote controller and palm pad remotes.

But as you evolve your system, you will eventually find that the HouseLinc system is really not main line stuff in the HomeSeer world. I know from first hand experience, as I too, have a HouseLinc box that today, just "echos" my X10 and IR commands.

For IR, I use an IR LED transmitter that sticks onto (placed on the surcface) a PowerMid. BUT, all you can transmit are the codes that the HouseLinc box understand, and these codes are old.

Yes, you can upgrade the chip on your HouseLinc. I was told by Geoff some time back on how to do this, but I think I am going to work on the "learning IR interface" that is referenced at SkiBums Place.

(Sorry, tonite I am not taking the time to use Hyperlinks. Browse around and you will find the references to what I mentioned.)

Dennis

Comment

I'm beginning to think the same thing. Not only is it dang near impossible to get the right IR codes, but the X-10 isn't working either....at least not from the HomeSeer interface. I'll check into the Skibum/Powermid stuff...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis D. Tremblay:
        Hello webwide,
        It appears that you are having difficulties making your HouseLinc work with some newer codes. So am I, but in the long run, you might just want to look at Skibums place and either build or buy one of the "learning IR interfaces".
        I'm planning on doing this myself. In fact, I have most of the components to build one, and just need to find a "vector board".
        I'm sorry to say, but HouseLinc (I have one myself) is really a piece of garbage. Sorry.

With HomeSeer and add on devices, you can do anything - if you have enough ports.

You also need to invest in the PowerMids from X10 or Radio Shack. These take your IR commands and broadcast them to PowerMid receivers.

You should also concider getting the X10 remote and the MR26A rceiver that comes with some of the X10 "toys". Geoff Epstine did an excellent job on the code to receive the remote controller and palm pad remotes.

But as you evolve your system, you will eventually find that the HouseLinc system is really not main line stuff in the HomeSeer world. I know from first hand experience, as I too, have a HouseLinc box that today, just "echos" my X10 and IR commands.

For IR, I use an IR LED transmitter that sticks onto (placed on the surcface) a PowerMid. BUT, all you can transmit are the codes that the HouseLinc box understand, and these codes are old.

Yes, you can upgrade the chip on your HouseLinc. I was told by Geoff some time back on how to do this, but I think I am going to work on the "learning IR interface" that is referenced at SkiBums Place.

(Sorry, tonite I am not taking the time to use Hyperlinks. Browse around and you will find the references to what I mentioned.)

Dennis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn

Comment

Webwide,

What isn't working right on the X10 side? Are some of your devices not working or is it something else?
          If some of the X10 devices are not working, it isn't the HouseLinc. It may be that the Carrier Current signal is dropping off or perhaps it is on the "other side" of your phase. (See other message topics for this.)

Anyway, just post your problems here and we will try to help.

Dennis

Comment

Are you using the latest version of the HouseLinc plug-in (version 1.1.8). Earlier version did have some problems like you are describing.

You might also try SmartLinc's native Plato software. If you can't get the codes to work with Plato, then a chip upgrade might be a solution. If it works with Plato, then it could be the HomeSeer plug-in still has a problem.
            Geoff
            -Geoff

Comment

2-3 appliance modules - they were working before, and they work directly from the palm remote, just not from inside HS...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis D. Tremblay:
              Webwide,

What isn't working right on the X10 side? Are some of your devices not working or is it something else?
              Dennis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn

Comment

Yes, I just downloaded HS last week. X10 was working from the native software last time I tried it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoff Epstein:
                Are you using the latest version of the HouseLinc plug-in (version 1.1.8). Earlier version did have some problems like you are describing.

You might also try SmartLinc's native Plato software. If you can't get the codes to work with Plato, then a chip upgrade might be a solution. If it works with Plato, then it could be the HomeSeer plug-in still has a problem.
                Geoff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn

Comment

You probably already know this, but the X10 signals travel around on your house wiring. Sometimes they may work and at other times they may not work. This is caused by a variety of things, including noise on the line or because they are on different phases.
                  What this means to you is you need to test your wiring by moving your palm pad around to different outlets and see if the appliance modules still work.
                  Start on the same circuit to prove that your modules work, then move into different rooms and do the same thing. Chances are as you go further away from the appliance modules or if you get the other phase, they will not work. This means you have signal loss in your home wiring.
                  But this is not conclusive, because your appliance modules may work with the palm pads in all locations. But if they do not work with the HomeSeer nterface, it might mean that the interface is just not putting out enough signal.
                  You also need to do as Geoff suggested. Prove that the HouseLinc is working. For one thing, you could move an appliance module into the same room - same circuit as your interface is on and try it there. If it doesn't work there, then the problem is either HouseLinc or the interface module. Essentially, you need to test combinations of locations and decide where the problem exists.
                  If you conclude that there are no equipment problems, but you can't seem to make everything work everywhere in the home, you need to look at several options, including purchasing a Leviton or X10 signal coupler that is attached to the fuse (breaker) box. or installing a capacitor there. Possible you could add the cap and relocate your X10 interface at the breaker box where you will get best signal coupling.
                  I posted this solution a while back. Check out this link as it may be what you need to do.
                  TW523 Trick to extend range
                  Since I did this, I have been 100% successful and have no problems, and it only cost me a capacitor.

Keep on trying. You will eventually figure out the problem and everything will work as you expect.

Dennis [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Webwide,
                    In reading my reply, I may have misled you. When I said relocate your palm pad, you really need to relocate your receiver. That would be the "wall wart" device with the antenna that receives the RF signals from the Palm Pad and sends them out on the electrical wiring.

If this was not clear in my message, I appologize.

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                    X