Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Houselinc/BoB and TV Probe Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houselinc/BoB and TV Probe Question

Hi All,

I have been trying to get the HouseLinc and Bob working so that it will recognize when my TV is on. The status is important as my TV does not have discreet On/Off IR codes. The TV Detector probe I got from SmartHome was working but now everytime I plug it into the Bob, I get a constant ON condition in HS whether the TV is on or not. Is my probe bad? Also, I noticed that if the scene on the TV program was on the dark side, the probe status light on the BoB would dim to off and when the screen lightened up, the probe status light would then brighten. Is that a normal behavior? Wouldn't it trigger the status flag in HS on/off depending on the screen brightness? If it does then I'll need to go another way. Maybe with a video probe?
    Any help will be appreciated.

Chuck

I remember having a similar issue.. I think in the end I called up HomeSeer Tech support and they walked me thru a reset of some sort. It worked - and is still working today.

-*(( Brent Kacian ))*-
    -*(( www.bkacian.com ))*-
    -*(( Homeseer - Houselinc ))*-
    -*(( phillips_brent@hotmail.com ))*-

Comment

Chuck,

Is the HouseLinc your X10 interface? Try sending an X10 command to the probe's device code to turn it off. Will it stay that way or does it turn back on by itself? Have you tried moving it do a different BOB port? Do you have an LED on the TV that you could use to trigger the probe rather than the picture itself?

Geoff
      -Geoff

Comment

Geoff,

Maybe I wasn't clear. The probe in question is the one that detects the EM field generated by the TV when it is on. It's not a LED detector probe. It is set up as a status only flag on P13.

Thru HS, I can change the state of the probe (on/off) and it does not automatically change back. I have not tried sending a P13 On/Off via x10 command, only thru HS. Also, if I disconnect the probe from the BoB, HS shows the TV Power Status (P13) as off. But regardless of whether the TV is on or not, when I plug the probe back into the same port, HS is updated with P13 on (TV on). I have tried it in all four ports on the BoB. No difference.
        Finally, yes, Houselinc is my X10 interface.

TIA,

Chuck

Comment

I certainly sounds like a bad probe, however, I occasionally get a momentary ON / OFF "spike" on my TV Probe, but I haven't ever had it just stay on. Do you have any other types of probes to test the BOB?

Grant
          System configuration in my profile

Comment

Grant,

Thanks for your reply. I do have another probe (video detector, the one with an RCA plug on one end). I'm testing that this weekend. Too much going on during the week to play with my "stuff". I would like to use the TV Probe with my set-up. I have no problem with getting another one to use, but want to make sure that the intermittent nature I have observed (appears to change status with the picture brightness) won't hurt in determining the power on/off status of the TV. After all, it's either on or off. I don't think it's the BoB that's the problem as the probe status lights on the BoB all act the same no matter which port I plug the TV probe into. More testing to follow.

Chuck

Comment

Chuck,

I think the TV probe is essentially a RF receiver and is sensitive to field strength changes. I've notice that there are certain places around my TV that the probe doesn't work as well.

Grant
              System configuration in my profile

Comment

Working...
              X