Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Trade an Ocelot for a Houselinc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade an Ocelot for a Houselinc?

I have two Ocelots and would like to trade one of them for a HouseLinc. I am pretty active in the JP1 group that has hacked the OFA remotes that allows protocol and device upgrades, reading learned commands etc.

The OFA remote is undoubtedly the guts of the HouseLinc and I am interested in seeing if we can use our interface with this device. If I am able to accomplish that I will be glad to share what I have learned and what new capabilities that this would mean. Please email me if interested.

TIA,

-Jon

This has now been done,

Thanks,

-Jon

Comment

Jon,

Let me know more. I have a HouseLinc (in storage) and might be interested in doing a mod to mine as you are doing. I've not been as satisfied with the Ocelot for IR as I was for the HouseLinc, but my HouseLinc never had the capability of doing my special codes.

What are these groups you mention, such as JP1?

regards,

GenevaDude

Comment

GenevaDude,

I haven't had much time yet, but I am going to see if we can read and write to the EEPROM using the same techniques that the JP1 group has used with other, newer UEIC remotes. This allows for device and protocol upgrades.

This gets around the limitation of the dated built in library.

The typical UEIC remote (that is the heart of the HousLinc's IR capability)is versatile and well designed and should solve many of the problems that arise from relying on learning the OEM remote commands:

1. Discrete Codes
        2. Toggle Bits
        3. Some commands must be repeated while others only once (very important in macros)
        4. Eliminates the need to learn a bunch of commands.

Right now it really has a great deal of capability and the built in libraries in some models appear to be quite extensive.

There is also no guarantee that we will be able to upgrade it but we have done so on many other remotes and IIUC the original remote was upgradable although with a different interface than we currently use.

To find out more information about JP1, start with www.hifi-remote.com top of the page. It also has an extensive collection of discrete commands that should work now http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/discrete.shtml just drop hte leading zero in the setup code.

There is also a collection of Advanced codes=Extended Codes=EFC listed by setup code here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-codes.shtml

I'll keep you posted,

-Jon

Comment

Jon,

Thanks, and please do keep me posted. I will put a watch on this thread, but but it probably won't work (it hasn't worked reliably in the past anyway).

If you need some help or testing just let me know. I think my unit is old even though I bought it less than a few years ago. I would really like to put it to use as my IR unit.

It seems to be far superior to the Ocelot in that one capability.

regards,

GenevaDude

Comment

Jon,

Did you ever get anywhere with this project?

regards,

GenevaDude

Comment

Working...
            X