This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to use, when?

OK, I just bought Girder 4.0. I also have HS and JRMC. (I don't have Netremote as I plan on using palm pads to begin with.) I also have a M-Delta 410 sound card on the way.

It's almost as if we have too many options. For instance, Girder has a USB-UIRT plugin and so does HS. Which application should control the USB-UIRT and why?

Why would someone need to use hsGirder? Do I need hsGirder since I have Girder?

Is there a diagram of all of the applications, what they can do, and the interfaces between them?

Here's what I want to do with the given hardwire. The question is what software do I need and what plugins do I need for each?
    1. Whole house sound with 5 zones using Delta 410 and palm pads.
    2. HS announcements over any, or all, of the 5 zones.
    3. Control A/V equipment with 1 zone using USB-UIRT and palm pads.

Thanks,
    Chris

Well I guess it comes down to how you want to set it all up. Each persons setup is unique and has to be dealt with a certain way. Since you have a Delta 410 card I am assuming you are looking for a multizone solution. Doing so with Palmpads will be quite limiting. Also what audio hardware are you going to use (amps) for each zone? If you try and use my method of multiple inexspensive receivers then you will have to have a multizone IR solution.

I guess in order to even start to come up with ideas as to how to desgn a system around your needs we need to know what other hardware you are planning to use.

For me using JRMC and Homeseer for a multizone audio solution without using Netremote to select albums or playlists would not give me a very high WAF.

John
    John

Comment

Now you got me thinking.....
      I have 3 PC's I can use for Netremote until I get enough money for PDAs, touch screens, etc. (But I would also like to be able to utilize the palm pads as well.)

Hardwire:
      Cheap car speakers
      ELK800
      Sony Receiver
      Awia Reciever
      USB-UIRT
      W800
      1 PC that has HS, Girder, JRMC, and soon Netremote
      2 free PCs
      M-Audio 410
      Last edited by ; July 21, 2005, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Ok.. next how many zones are you looking for?

John
        John

Comment

As many zones as I can get out of the M-Audio card while having HS annoucements over all zones.

Comment

Well you could use the cheap stereo receiver idea as long as no IR codes are the same between models. Personally I would get all the IR codes programmed into Homeseer and then use hsGirder from Netremote or use X10 commands from you Palmpad to control the volume ect of each zone. Take a look at my Now Playing scripts to see how you can do that. In fact it can be easily modified to handle any hardware as all the actual commands are in the HS script.

http://www.promixis.com/downloads.php?mode=list&id=777

John
            John

Comment

OK.
              1 more question. How do I get Homeseer to announce something over all of the zones(Multiple outputs of a sound card)? Do I need Girder for this?

Thanks,
              Chris

Comment

I actually use a seperate amp (small) with the built in sound card for all my TTS. This way I can leave all those receivers off unless I need to use them. Also I can control the TTS sound levels independant of where the music volume was at the last time anyone used that zone. I mounted small speakers in a few locations that allows the TTS to be heard anywhere in the house. Mixing the two is only asking for trouble.

If you want to keep the receivers on all the time then you could use an IR command to switch to an auxilary input and have the built in sound card play TTS through that.

John
                John

Comment

That makes sense. Thanks John!

Comment

Working...
                  X