This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSGirder out of memory problem note

Just a quick note, more of a heads-up than a help request. First of all, thanks for a very useful plug-in. Homeseer, HSGirder and NetRemote have enabled me to end up with a quadraplegic to be able to reliably control all her infrared and X10 devices over a WiFi network from an IPAQ on her wheelchair with very few problems.

One problem that I have found however, is that if you leave the debug mode activated in HSGirder, after a time the plug-in seems to choke up, fail and give out-of-memory errors (noted in the HS log). You have to stop and restart Homeseer to get HSGirder working again and processing, and, in at least one instance, I had to restart the computer to get everything working again (Homeseer itself seemed to lock up). I have not seen similar problems when debug mode is set off in HSGirder.

My next challenge is to figure out how to get an HS/HSGirder script to send infrared commands via the Global Cache plug-in, so that I can automate infrared commands from lua scripts in NetRemote on the IPAQ. I just wish that Homeseer did not charge quite so much for plug-ins, particularly ones like the Global Cache one, that is very buggy and has limited utility except for very specific taks, like that described. In the quadraplegic's case, I started trying to use HS2.xx with the Global Cache plug-in and the HS touchscreen web-page interface from the IPAQ and ran into too many roadblocks to get it working in any usable way. NetRemote Pro+IR cost about the same as the HS GC plug-in and is far more useful and useable for about the same price for 95% of what you want to do. As I said, just comments!! Homeseer itself is bullet-proof and well worth the money (even the 2.xx version, although I will not change the 1.7 version that I use in my own home until I am absolutely forced too - it's perfect - get it working - sometimes with a lot of learning required, especially with some plug-ins - but then forget it is my experience!). I still feel that a 100% web-page interface was not the way to go - that's the main reason wny I prefer 1.7. Just my opinion, and I'm sure that people who know much more than I do would disagree!

Are you trying to send IR from Homeseer... or striaght from Netremote? I use the Slink-e with my Now Playing project and send IR from HS scripts that are fired off from Netremote. It works well... so I would start with trying to get Homeseer script to send an IR command. If that is what you are using. When you have that working then take a look at the scripts under my project and the CCF and you will see how easy it is to have NR do it.

John
    John

Comment

Trying to send a string of IR commands semi-automatically from NetRemote. It's actually to allow the user to paste any given phone number into an NR window on the IPAQ from the Contacts file on the IPAQ and then generate a series of IR commands from the pasted phone number to a hands-free IR-controlled phone from a Dial button on the NR screen on the IPAQ. Everything works perfectly to send individual IR from NR on the IPAQ directly to a Global Cache device, to Powermids and thus to the phone.

The 1.5Beta version of NR has ButtonDown and ButtonUp commands that can be used from a lua script in NR to operate single-IR command number buttons on the NR screen to send the string of numbers from the pasted phone number. The problem is that the Beta version of NR has other issues that prevent it being used in a live situation.

There is no other way to generate a string of IR commands from the text in a window that I am aware of. What I was going to do was use Girder commands in an NR lua script to HSGirder and use an HSGirder/HS script to generate the IR via the GC plugin in Homeseer. Round the houses but no reason why it should not work. Unfortunately means that I have to spend the 40 bucks for the GC plugin for HS to develop the script, etc.

Comment

Working...
      X