This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audrey Time Server

Could not find this mentioned before, so I thought I'd post... I've been having time server issues with my Audreys where it would not find an ntp server during bootup - hangs on getting Date and Time then stops looking for manual date and time entry. After doing some research, I modified the /config/Timeserver0 server entry to time.nist.gov. Audreys now boot without problem. Hopefully this will help someone else having the same issues.

Steve (I'm using a slightly modified StockHa image)

This happens to me every once in awhile. If the hack is applied what does Audrey use for the date and time at bootup? Will it try to get the time and if it fails then bypass the date/time prompts?

Comment

The hack is of a legitimate ntp server, so it boots like it normally would. There are two additional Timserver config files, each with it's own ntp server listed... I do not know if the server in Timserver0 is not found, does it then try to use Timeserver1...?

I did also double posted this topic, also in Touch Screens, there is mention of alternate options also http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...2&m=6576019475.

Comment

New info on Audrey time issues

After trying the suggestions here and a variety of those posted on the net, I ran across a blurb that said the Audreys want to use a RFC868 time server which is on port 37. That's different than what I was expecting for NTP...and apparently Audrey expects the response to be directly from the time server. So if you're using a firewall/NAT solution -- that might cause issues.

I downloaded a port 37 based time server app from Zdnet:

http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?docid=329380

This is actually a freeware app from this link as well:

http://www.bttsoftware.co.uk/timeserv.html

Pointed they Timeserver0 on Audrey to my local box (running Vista) after installing this app and resolved the issue.

Another side note...if you don't care what time Audrey thinks it is, you can go in an comment out the line (using a #) in /config/startup-warm and the corresponding startup-main file if you're familar with using vi on the Audrey.

Thanks.
        Martin

Comment

Do you just run the timeserv as a client app or did you install it as a service. If the latter, how did you install it as a service? I'm running XP so the instructions for W95/98 don't appear to apply. Thanks!

Comment

I tried several times to get it to install as a service under Vista and no luck. I configured it to start minimized into the systray (option in the program) and then added it to my startup group.

Funny...I tried several rfc868 time server packages and some installed as services nicely but just didn't work. the little app I referenced works like a champ. Perhaps I'll dink around with it another day and get it wrapped into a service...

Comment

Working...
            X