This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do with Message Server?

I downloaded the trial primarily because my touchscreen does not seem to like an appliance module and I wanted a way to shut it down when gone, asleep, etc. So far Message Server working for this for me. But before I layout the cash for the plug-in I feel like I need to have more use for the plug-in that just turning a monitor on/off and right now I can't think of what I would want to do. Invariably I'll read what others are doing with HS in general and get a lot of good ideas. I'm thinking the same may apply here. So, what do you do with MS?

Mark,
    Not to take anything from Message Server because I know it can do so much more but have you tried the monitor shut down exe that is floating around on the BB? Is you touch screen attached to your HS server?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp- I've seen the exe floating around, but the touchscreen is being run by an old laptop tucked away in the basement ceiling. From what I can understand that exe only runs on the HS PC. Correct?

Comment

Well yes and no. The exe will run anywhere but if you want to schedule it with HS then yes it needs to be on the HS PC. If you want to schedule the touchscreen at particular time you could always use the windows scheduler to have the touch screen on at a particular time and off at a particular time.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hmm... hadn't thought of scheduler. My *preference* would be to shut the monitor on/off based upon events, but I'll have to toss that into the idea hopper.

Comment

The general case of distributed HA computing is handled well with xap. There is an xap application that manages the screen. I think it actually is built with the application that Rupp provided. There are others that do remote process restarts and computer restarts. These xap application and the xap plugin to homeseer are free. Once installed you will then be able to do a wealth of your HA in a distributed manner if you so desire.

Comment

Comment

My Message Server uses

I also use Message Server to put the screen on a laptop I use in the kitchen as a Homeseer terminal into powersaver mode. That way the screen isn't on all night & it saves on the LCD lamp hours in the screen.
                My other use is to have Message Server put up, on the same kitchen laptop screen, views from my front and back door cameras whenever someone rings the doorbell. I can stream from the back door one and capture a frame from the front door one (this is due to software restrictions, otherwise I'd stream from both). After one minute it closes the window with the camera views.

Dick Masson
                Dick
                HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Oh man Dick, I have not been able to rationalize cameras but that option of using MS to send images to other PCs is kind of cool. I'm sure my wife is just hoping for me to find a new project.

Looks like I am jsut across the river from you right now (at the in-laws in Brooklyn Center). Kind of nippy out today!

Comment

While the message server is great, it is the Remote Editor I use most of all.

Cerainly I do nearly all my HS script editing with it

Kevin

Comment

Nippy..... Nah!

Originally posted by Msekelsky
                      Oh man Dick, I have not been able to rationalize cameras but that option of using MS to send images to other PCs is kind of cool. I'm sure my wife is just hoping for me to find a new project.

Looks like I am jsut across the river from you right now (at the in-laws in Brooklyn Center). Kind of nippy out today!
                      It is a little cool out today, but hey it's above zero, so I'm not complaining. I remember a few Christmas' ago when it didn't get above ten below... for the high temp.
                      Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Dick
                      Dick
                      HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Working...
                      X