Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Any way to use Message Server to set the PC time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to use Message Server to set the PC time?

I am using MS to turn my touchscreen monitor off overnight, when gone, no motion, etc. From what I can tell the system clock loses time when this happens. I guess it could be the CMOS battery (it's an older laptop running the touchpanel) but it makes me wonder if rather than digging up a battery I could use Message Server. Any command I could send to set the time?

BTW, I did get a freeware utility to set time once per day but if the screen is off much during the day I still lose too much time. Oh yeah, the reason it matters is I run a screensaver that makes the touchpanel a clock when running.

What OS is the laptop running?

There are a number of time sync programs around for various falovours of windows and XP has it built in.
    Malarcy

Comment

I am using W98 SE. I did find a utility that will update the time once per day, but I could really use more often.

Comment

Comment

Not used any of these - but

http://www.curanow.com/freeware/Time_Clients.htm

Seems to have a few - the Currenttime 1.0.1 reads like it does what you need.

Also, not sure if win 98 supports it but some versions allow you to do something like

net time \\anothermachine /s

so you can sync your "slow" machiine with another machine (if you have one)

HTH

Malarcy

Comment

Try this one.

Don't have the web site handy but just do a Google search on Atomic Clock.

Free, and easily installed. I have been using it for a couple of years without a problem.

Comment

My vote is for Tardis. (google tardis mingham smith)

It runs as a service, has a bunch of pre-programmed servers, you can set time periodically, etc, etc. etc.

I like it so much I'm even using it in XP.

Comment

Working...
              X