Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand alone client software - no install required

Hey Christian,
    Finally pried my wallet open and bought the package, it is highly recommended.

If you get idle time, I was wondering if you would consider a stand alone, executable client, even a stripped down version.

Like with VNCVIEWER.EXE, you can just run it directly off of a floppy disk without "installing" VNC on that PC.

This would be helpful for people that would like to run the client software on a work PC but do not want to fight the IT police regarding "installing" software on the work computer.

Thanks for considering this!

Bill

~Bill

That would be cool.
    I could use it when I go to Guard duty. You know how the Gov is on putting "other" software on their machines.
    Tim
    FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Comment

Holy crud! Nice job!

Here's how you do it:

1- Put the following on a floppy or a jump drive and take it to work with you (UPDATE: or find these files in a zip file in the next post below):

comdlg32.dll
        COMDLG32.OCX
        MSWINSCK.OCX

Put these files into your %system%/system32 folder ( c:\windows\system32\ or c:\winnt\system32\ )

2- "From the computer you want to test, browse to your server on the message_server about page you can download the client file (the About page). Extract it to a folder" that is inside your My Documents folder (that way only you get to it since this is a shared computer).

3- Run the program from inside the folder that you put in My Documents.

4- One of two things will happen:
        a- An ms_client.ini file will appear in that directory and the program will start with default settings
        b- An error log will appear complaining it can't find a file. Read the error log, find a copy of that file on a computer where the client software is running and put that file on the new computer in the same folder as where you found it on the working computer (usually %system%/system32 again). Then delete the error log and then try again.

I would suggest not selecting the Start MS Client When Windows Starts option in the client software, it may launch for other people who log onto that computer but I don't know.

This was tested on a Win XP Pro machine.

Once again Christian, YOU ROCK!
        Last edited by Bill Brower; May 13, 2005, 07:41 AM.

~Bill

Comment

Here is the zipped three files I needed to make MS Client work.

Once again, extract them to the %system%/system32 directory.
          Attached Files

~Bill

Comment

Working...
          X