Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Stand alone client software - no install required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand alone client software - no install required

Hey Christian,
    Finally pried my wallet open and bought the package, it is highly recommended.

If you get idle time, I was wondering if you would consider a stand alone, executable client, even a stripped down version.

Like with VNCVIEWER.EXE, you can just run it directly off of a floppy disk without "installing" VNC on that PC.

This would be helpful for people that would like to run the client software on a work PC but do not want to fight the IT police regarding "installing" software on the work computer.

Thanks for considering this!

Bill

~Bill

That would be cool.
    I could use it when I go to Guard duty. You know how the Gov is on putting "other" software on their machines.
    Tim
    FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

No, Im from Iowa. I only work in outer space. Captain Kirk

Comment

Comment

Holy crud! Nice job!

Here's how you do it:

1- Put the following on a floppy or a jump drive and take it to work with you (UPDATE: or find these files in a zip file in the next post below):

comdlg32.dll
        COMDLG32.OCX
        MSWINSCK.OCX

Put these files into your %system%/system32 folder ( c:\windows\system32\ or c:\winnt\system32\ )

2- "From the computer you want to test, browse to your server on the message_server about page you can download the client file (the About page). Extract it to a folder" that is inside your My Documents folder (that way only you get to it since this is a shared computer).

3- Run the program from inside the folder that you put in My Documents.

4- One of two things will happen:
        a- An ms_client.ini file will appear in that directory and the program will start with default settings
        b- An error log will appear complaining it can't find a file. Read the error log, find a copy of that file on a computer where the client software is running and put that file on the new computer in the same folder as where you found it on the working computer (usually %system%/system32 again). Then delete the error log and then try again.

I would suggest not selecting the Start MS Client When Windows Starts option in the client software, it may launch for other people who log onto that computer but I don't know.

This was tested on a Win XP Pro machine.

Once again Christian, YOU ROCK!
        Last edited by Bill Brower; May 13th, 2005, 07:41 AM.

~Bill

Comment

Here is the zipped three files I needed to make MS Client work.

Once again, extract them to the %system%/system32 directory.
          Attached Files

~Bill

Comment

Working...
          X