This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error 429' error, 'ActiveX component can't create object'

I updated my HS PC today from 1.7 to 2.0.2041. I run the client software on an old laptop running a touchscreen. all was working well. Then I got the bright idea that the reason the laptop was getting slower and slower was a lack of "care and feeding" (defrag and so forth). So I decided to give the laptop a good cleaning. It is running Win98SE. I:
    • Deleted any Windows programs I did not need (DUN, templates, etc.). I am very bare bones now.
    • Deleted any temp files, including the browser cache.
    • Ran defrag
    When I restarted I got an error message when the client tries to start:

Error 429' error, 'ActiveX component can't create object'

I have looked through the message board and have not yet found an answer. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the client (using the the version from the website, which is what I assume I was running). I have reinstalled VB6. I am running IE 5.5

Since all worked well before I don't think this has anything to do with the HS 2.x I installed. Heck, the client never even gets running to try and connect.

Any idea what I hosed up?

Can you run 1.1 net on Win98?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
      Can you run 1.1 net on Win98?
      I beleive so. One of the things I did was check MS for any updates and I thought I saw .net as one of them. But since the client doesn't even load, why would that matter?

Comment

I installed .net 1.1 on the Win98 machine. No help. Also it is actually IE 6.0, not 5.5 on the PC

Comment

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=103659

I would try renaming the client.ini to see if that help.

Regards,
          Christian

Comment

Originally posted by cyvinec
            http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=103659

I would try renaming the client.ini to see if that help.

Regards,
            Christian
            Well fudge! I was hoping that you would say "Oh, you are missing such and such file." I looked at the files mentioned by Bill in the link. Those are for XP and all of those files (at least those names) exist in my setup already. I tired a reinstall of Win98 (just over the top of what I had) and that did nothing. I do NOT have an ini file as I deleted that when I uninstalled the client and the client gets the error message too early in the process to generate a new one.

FWIW I installed the client on another PC (although this is a XP machine) and that works fine (confirms it has nothing to do with the server of the new install of HS 2)

Comment

Oh happy day the problem is solved! It turns out that some other idiot had a very similar problem early last year (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=101892). And that idiot was............ me.

When I did my "scrubbing" of Windows I must have unistalled scripting (which it seems I have done before). Reinstalled the scripting and badda-bing badda-boom, the client is back up and running.

Comment

Working...
              X