This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Question "jr"

I want to connect temp08 (as close to plug in as possible, with a PC / any sucessful USB installs ?

What hardware do I need to have;

USB ?
    1 temp08 (ok)
    5 temp sensors
    5 humidity sensors

and have HS display and send emails based on conditions ??

Is there a basic step by step "how to" also that migfht have additional hardware to contain and mount all for these sensors ?

Thanks,
    HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

The Temp05/08 can be connected to USB using a USB/Serial adapter. There are many of these available at a low cost. I know byterunner and edgeport are two brands that have yielded excellent results. The USB interface is no problem. Simply buy USB/Serial adapter, install the drivers that come with the hardware, and then new serial ports will be visible to the PC and this port is the one selected for interface to the Temp05/08

The 10 sensors will not be a problem for the Temp05/08 as long as you connect them to the 1-wire pair using good techniques that minimize reflections and capacitance. There have been several threads in on this Message Board about this subject.

While there is no step-to-step for your specific setup there is information from midon design web site and there is information in the mcsTemperature documentation that is downloadable from the Homeseer Updater. You do not need to use mcsTempeature as interface software, but it is an option since it does both the Temp05/08 interface and has triggers for bands, levels, and rates that will make triggering on analog-type data possible without scripting. It also produces nice trend charts for visual feedback on what is happening. The documentation can be downloaded without the software. Jim Doolittle just introduced some Temp08 interface software. Look in the Doo plugins forum for it. It might have some step-by-step, but I do not know.

1. Buy USB/Serial Interface
    2. Use good practices for connecting 1-wire devices
    3. Interface to Homeseer with a plugin or the midondesign-provided script
    4. Develop your trigger logic for the scenario you want email etc deliverd.

Comment

Richard,

Having email issues at the moment (travelling and the hotel does not allow SMTP relay) so am answering your questions here.

For the USB interface, Michael has already indicated that you can obtain nearly any RS232 to USB adapter. The Belkin F5U103 series work fine but other, less expensive, adapters should also be OK.

Ordering information for what you are looking for follows:

1 x MD2104 TEMP08
      1 x MD2112 Case + panel for TEMP08 (optional)
      1 x MD3004 AC power adapter
      5 x MD3020C temperature sensors with RJ11 connectors
      5 x MD3020E humidity sensors

Wiring can be easily accomplished with RJ-11 cables (RJ-11 at both ends and wiring is STRAIGHT-THROUGH, not crossed over). These cables are typically not easily available, however they are simple to make with a good RJ-11 crimper tool and the connectors and cables - all are available at Radio Shack or Home Depot in the US.

Connect one cable to TEMP08 and the other end to one sensor. Then connect another cable from that sensor to the next, and so on. This is known as Daisy-chain wiring and is most effective for 1-Wire devices.

The sensors do not come with cases, but they can be mounted almost anywhere. If using any outdoors, be very careful to ensure they are not in a moist location, or seal them very well against moisture. Even normal outdoor humidity will eventually corrode the connections on the sensors.

Hope this helps,

Mitch
      http://www.midondesign.com

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the answers... I have been reviewing the Midon site and the notes. Got the details, I now feel comfortable that I can do this....

Thats what I needed.

Richard G
        HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

Comment

Temp05/08 Connectivity

I used single Cat5 for my runs to Weather Station, Rain sensor, temperature/humidity sensors and temperature sensors. I home run them to a mini phone path panel (12) punching them down then connecting them to either Temp08 or Temp05 module. I use a USB to serial box and have been using one now for a couple of years with no issues.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X