Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can counter "DC2.5-R1-A" be used to measure fan speed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can counter "DC2.5-R1-A" be used to measure fan speed?

Hello,
    I am thinking to use a hobby-boards counter sensor to measure my AC unit fan speed. The counter seems to be the easiest solution since I already have the TEMP08 that supports it.
    I can design and install a tiny reed switch and attach it to the AC housing so it will be opening (or closing) once on every rotation of the fan axle. The fan is variable and its speed might be from 30 to 1500 rpm (I am guessing the range) but I am not sure if the counter throughput would be enough to handle that significant amount of data. Will it?
    Is there a script that would be able to convert

I use the counter for power measurements. I believe it is rated at maximum count rate of 50 Hz and it is a 32 bit counter so you have time to transfer the counts before a wraparound will occur. Scripting to convert counts to RPM is pretty simple, especially if you are using the existing script to process the Temp08 data.

Comment

That sounds promising, thank you.
      Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      ...especially if you are using the existing script to process the Temp08 data.
      I currently use Ultra1Wire but I am not very happy with it because of some bugs and limited ways how it presents collected data.
      I am thinking to add a counter sensor to control my AC fan and switch to a new 1-wire plug-in. I would have switched to one of yours but they look over-complicated to me (I currently have mix network of temp and humidity sensors from MidonDesign and Hobby Board).
      Michael, please give your suggestion on what script of yours will be good for this sensors combination?
      Last edited by Alexey; March 1, 2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Mitch provides a script with the Temp08. That is what I initially used with the Temp05. It gives you maximum flexibility because you have source for the script. This will then allow you to add a few lines in the script to convert from Lightning counts reported by the Temp08 to RPM. If you use a plugin such as the Ultra 1-wire then you will create an event triggered by the Lightning count device change and then create a short little script to convert the Lightning count to RPM and store it in a different virtual device. Since you already have Ultra 1-wire that seems like the easiest. mcsTemperature is the plugin that I provide that handles the Temp08 and the process would be the same with the addition of another event and script.

Comment

Thank you, I got the idea with the plug-ins (the script supplied along by Mitch is way over my head and would not have time to study scripting, not in the coming years). I will read the mcsTemp Manual to see it I would be able to utilize it in reasonable extent, I like graphs a lot.
          I also looked at my fan speed measuring task under different angle.
          Instead of the counter I could choose current sensor (mentioned onto the Mitch's website). Unfortunately, MidonDesign does not offer a ready-to-go solution and an intermediate board must be used (custom made/ordered) to convert signal from the current sensor to something that TEMP08 would understand.
          I am going to run series of tests measuring current (amperage) drawn by the fan in different modes. I have a feeling that the amps range will be required if I decide to go for current measurement solution.

Are there any comments on this solution?
          Thanks a bunch, again, as always.

Comment

The counter solution is very simple and will give you an actual measurement of RPM. When you start measuring current then you are in the analog world which is not as black and white as the digital one.

If you are not concerned that the formatting of the device then you can configure the counter as windspeed within the Temp08 and then use the calibration factor within mcsTemperature to scale it to actually represent RPM. The possibility exists to user User-Defined types or have a RPM type added. I would need to look further if these options are resonable.

Comment

Working...
            X