This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

serial pins needed

Aside from rxd, txd and gnd does the temp08 need rts/cts (or any other pins) to operate. I am using just tx, rx and gnd (pins 2,3,5) as well as the db9 shell ground. The two ends of the serial cable go to open house enclosure / punchdown and on ocassion I will get junk displaying in Hyperterm. Hyperterm is configured at 9600 8n1.
    Last edited by rmorton27; March 26, 2010, 10:42 PM.
    -Rick

Originally posted by rmorton27 View Post
    Aside from rxd, txd and gnd does the temp08 need rts/cts (or any other pins) to operate. I am using just tx, rx and gnd (pins 2,3,5) as well as the db9 shell ground. The two ends of the serial cable go to open house enclosure / punchdown and on ocassion I will get junk displaying in Hyperterm. Hyperterm is configured at 9600 8n1.
    Only TXD, RXD and GND pins are used with TEMP08.

Make sure Hyperterm is configured for no hand-shaking (Flow Control=None) so that it ignores any other connections on the DB-9.

Mitch
    http://www.midondesign.com

Comment

Thanks,

Thanks for confirmation; those were/are my settings. Anyway I found I had an old Ethernet/serial gizmo in my old junk box which actually works out better for the location and my use so all is well whatever the real issues is/was with my cabling/setup.

No need to answer but out of curiosity can a ground loop like the type that induces hum in audio equipment contributes to the junk data (they were all the same funny characters) that I would see from time-to-time when I was running on the serial cable? They would always follow the valid data streaming from the temp08 and would start and stop as if by magic.

-rick
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rmorton27 View Post
        Thanks,
        No need to answer but out of curiosity can a ground loop like the type that induces hum in audio equipment contributes to the junk data (they were all the same funny characters) that I would see from time-to-time when I was running on the serial cable? They would always follow the valid data streaming from the temp08 and would start and stop as if by magic.

-rick
        It's certainly possible. Eliminate any ground loop by using an isolated power source, such as a wall-wart, for TEMP08.
        http://www.midondesign.com

Comment

Working...
        X