Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 11 physical devices connected to my 1-wire network. These are wired together in a linear fashion using Cat5, with a total cable run of about 200 feet. I also provide 12vDC to the devices (in the same cable) and use a voltage regulator on each sensor board (I designed and built my own sensor boards) to provide the proper voltage for the board. I use the Dallas/Maxim DS9490D interface to my HomeSeer machine.

I have had extremely reliable 1-wire network operation over many years, with the only issue being an occasional Dallas 1-wire driver lockup that causes mcsxap1wire to continuously report the same values. I resolved this with a script that detects the situation and restarts mcsxap1wire.

I would echo the others and add that using 1-wire can be somewhat of a black magic art. Here are some tips:
    * Start simple: get a couple of sensors working for a week and then add additional sensors one at a time.
    * Use good quality twisted pair cable, Cat5 works great.
    * When planning your wiring, always pair a ground with the data line in 1 of the wire pairs.
    * Try to not use connectors. I use terminal blocks on my boards and either wire nuts (indoors) or the telephone style crimps with silicone gel (outdoors.)
    * Keep cables separated (1-2 inches) from other wiring (power, cable TV, network, etc.) and especially do nut run them parallel to these other types for any distance.
    * Unless you plan to use 1-wire "hubs", try to keep your network topology linear rather than star as this can cause data reflection issues that will lead to many gray hairs.

Overall, I highly recommend 1-wire as a sensor network for medium distance sensing applications.
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Hi experts

Big thank you for all the inputs.
      I decided for the moment to install a very small winex embedded pc and install usb over ip software and reuse my maxibee 64 outputs.
      Now i just need a clever way to get some inputs.
      Best,
      Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

Working...
      X