X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did my Temp05 die?

Guys,
    Today I noticed that I was no longer getting any readings from my Temp05 unit. I unplugged it and it's flashing green but I'm really not sure where to start troubleshooting. I installed this over 10 years ago and it's worked every day since. Where should I start troubleshooting this device? I can't even remember how often it reports but I thought it was 5 minutes. It seems I remember it would go red when it was reading and It appears not to be doing this. I've opened the serial port using my age old script but I do not believe I'be getting any thing from the unit as it never initializes the script nor hits any of the debug statements I have in the script. Any suggestions?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I'd go to a different COM port and fire up Hyperterminal.

How does TEMP05 connect to my PC?

A straight-through, not null modem, serial cable connects between the TEMP05 and your PC's serial port. The signal is 9600 bps, no parity, eight bits, with NO flow control. Hyperterminal can be used to monitor output from the TEMP05, or to configure it. See also #17. Here is an example of a serial cable that could be used to connect to your PC.

How do I set up HyperTerm to talk to TEMP05?

Correct settings in HyperTerminal are:

9600 baud
    8 bits
    no parity
    1 stop bit
    NONE for flow control (Important!)

~Bill

Comment

Let us know what happens Rupp.

Here too have one Temp05 and two Temp08's online running 24/7. Its been years and I don't pay attention anymore to them.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

My TEMP08 stopped updating a few months ago. I was like you and had not noticed until I looked at one of my temperature graphs and they were flat lined. Not sure what caused it but TEMP08 light no longer blinks green. I think it maybe dead, not sure. I had a backup TEMP08 unit, plugged it into the old power supply and the light started blinking. I was able to use HyperTerminal to connect to the serial port and then issue a few commands such as VER for Version, TMP to show the temperature for the connected sensors. This unit being new, did not know about my 18 other sensors. So I did a DIS to display everything the unit knew about and it obviously only knew about the temp sensor on board. I did a ERA to erase and then a INI to discover everything on my network. For some reason doing the INI with all of the sensors plugged in caused me some issues. It could be due to the configuration and now I remember that I had to put in some resistors to lower reflection... Anyway I removed all of the sensors on the downstairs leg (I have two legs coming out of my TEMP08, one runs upstairs and the other catches downstairs sensors. I did a ERA again, then an INI and it discovered all of my upstairs sensors, then plugged in each one downstairs one by one doing a INI in between. This seemed to work well for me and the unit is now up and running again.

Doing all of this, I found I had a bad sensor downstairs, not sure if it caused my TEMP08 to go bad or what... I am going to check out the old unit this weekend.

I think I will create a event and if the temperature does not change in a certain amount of time then send me a text to check the unit.

Good luck, if I remember correctly the light will go red if there is a problem and blink green if all is well. One thing that was very valuable was having a copy of my sensor IDs and their location. I use Microsoft OneNote and have my system documented pretty well, so knowing which sensor was where was helpful.

Good luck...
        Billy

Comment

Just to be clear, the LED will flash red when it is reading sensors and flash green otherwise. This is the same for both TEMP08 and TEMP05.

Check with a direct serial port connection via HyperTerm or Teraterm or whatever, in order to discount script, plug-in or even HS setup issues. I had one user go through all sorts of trouble-shooting only to find that a config file setting change had caused his serial port to turn off.

Mitch
          http://www.midondesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Midon View Post
            Just to be clear, the LED will flash red when it is reading sensors and flash green otherwise. This is the same for both TEMP08 and TEMP05.

Check with a direct serial port connection via HyperTerm or Teraterm or whatever, in order to discount script, plug-in or even HS setup issues. I had one user go through all sorts of trouble-shooting only to find that a config file setting change had caused his serial port to turn off.

Mitch
            That sounds like a good plan Mitch. I usually remove HomeSeer altogether and connect with HyperTerminal. If I can connect this way and run a few commands and the unit responds, then that rules out the TEMP08 unit.
            Billy

Comment

When I saw this thread, I dug out my old Temp08, which had died a couple of years ago. Nothing but a red LED on and no response from the unit whatsoever. I'd never bothered to look into the problem before and it didn't take long to find the probable cause. The 5V regulator (7805) seems to be putting out only about 2.7V. Easy to replace provided some other component isn't dragging down the supply. Nothing is even warm on the board so I doubt that. I think I may already have a regulator in my parts collection. Just a matter of waiting until spring to get out to my garage, or perhaps drag my soldering station inside to do the job.
              Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Mine is flashing green but it never takes a reading (turns red) but I'm not sure why. Hopefully I'll have some time soon to look into this.

Comment

I went ahead and replaced the voltage regulator and my TEMP08 has come to life.
                  It'd been down a long time and the Midon documentation now seems to be at v4.0. My unit is v2.11. Looks as if I didn't think to save a copy of the old documentation anywhere.
                  I've contacted Midon about a potential upgrade, but meantime I wondered if anyone might have a copy of the v2.11 documentation they'd be kind enough to post.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Found Temp stuff here dating back to the around 2000.

Attached is a Temp08 PDF guide dated Version 2.15 dated June 30, 2008 which includes the v.2.11 stuff. Well I uploaded the Temp05 one and later Temp08 one.

@Mitch,

Found an old Eprom burner that I haven't used since the 1990s. Thinking it may work in Windows XP using the printer port?

Would it be possible to get the firmware updates , new chips and DIY my Temp08-Temp05 devices?
                    Attached Files
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      Would it be possible to get the firmware updates , new chips and DIY my Temp08-Temp05 devices?
                      Thanks.
                      According to the web site, it is possible. Waiting on a response.

Comment

I do recall after updating the Temp08's a couple of times asking about this maybe 10 years ago.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

The software and upgraded firmware is on the Midon site.

Googling found this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Odometer-Reprogramming/- geez noticed its the same chip on many odometer boards.

http://www.lancos.com/prog.html

Midon Design strives to continue to add value to the TEMP08 product and, as a result, we release new features to the TEMP08 software from time to time. Upgrading TEMP08 is easy. Software updates can be downloaded from our webpages. In order to upgrade your unit, a PC equipped with Windows XP is required. If you have access to such a PC, contact Midon Design for more detailed instructions and special software to do the upgrade. No additional hardware is required.
                          If you click on the link for the firmware you will see the updates.

Thinking you can just talk to the chip via the Temp08 RS-232 interface and use the software mentioned above (PonyProgram?)

Copyright (C) By Gil Shultz, 1988 Ver 1.1A
                          $Thanks, it has been a pleasure serving you!~$The RED and GREEN LED's should be flashing on the Programming Module!
                          This should take about 16 seconds.$Test appears to be successful, Enjoy!$Do you want to EXIT this program (Y/N)? $Press any Key to Continue!$You are at the Main menu, and it displays the many branches (COMMANDS) that
                          this program can take. There are four main commands, "DUMP", "LOAD" "WRITE",
                          and "PROGRAM". Each of these commands has sub branches and many options.

<D>ump = This allows you to display on the console the contents of the RAM
                          and EPROM on the Chip as well as contents of the internal buffers, giving you
                          a total of for different options for this command.

<L>oad = This is how data is loaded into the internal buffers from the chip
                          or a disk file. Again Ram and Rom areas are handled the same way, just
                          different data spaces. This command also allows you to "FLUSH" the buffer
                          (fill it with a constant).

<W>rite = This allows you to write different buffer areas to a Disk file or
                          to the Chip itself. When writing to the chip, it will put you automatically
                          in program mode.

<P>orgram = Use this command to either load data into the internal ram of the
                          chip or program the EEPROM.

<C>heck = Blink the -LED's- on the programming board to test operation of the
                          Programming Module, Computer, and this software. You can always get a copy
                          of this software by calling the Motorola "FREEWARE LINE" @ (512) 891-3733.
                          Please note this is Version (1.1A) of the software. You can also obtain an
                          updated copy of this from "007's Runway" in Novi Michigan at (313) 349-3408.
                          Good Luck and may all your bugs be small! Gil$<F>lush buffer <R>ead file$F R ? Esc)$Flush which buffer R<A>M or R<O>M?$A O ? Esc)?$Load which buffer R<A>M or R<O>M?$A O ? Esc)?$Load Buffer from <F>ile or <C>hip?$F C ? Esc)?$ end record successfully read!$Premature end of file encountered!$Buffer successfully loaded!$Error in loading Buffer!$Buffer has been flushed!$ File has been successfully loaded!$HEX$MOTOROLA "S1"$Your file appears to be a $ File.$BINARY$Checksum Error in file, Load aborted!$Load address out of range, Load aborted!$<F> This command will fill the "internal buffer" with 00H for for the ROM
                          buffer, and 00H for the RAM Buffer. You will be prompted for which buffer
                          to process before it is actually flushed.

<R> will allow you to load your file into the internal buffer. Note that
                          when you go to program the "CHIP", the date in the "ROM" buffer is what
                          programed into the "EPROM" of the Chip. Note these values are patchable!
                          Enter S at the main menu for patching information!$Some of the internal parameters are patchable by you, shown is a portion
                          of the listing showing the patchable areas:
                          Please note this is Version (1.1A) of PROG7.COM.
                          $This is asking if you want the RAM or ROM buffer flushed!
                          "Esc" will abort command.$This is asking which buffer you want to load, RAM or ROM!
                          "Esc" will abort command.$What the program wants to know is if you want to load the working
                          buffer from the Chip or from a File. Note: you need to load the
                          buffer with your code before programming the chip!$Write to <F>ile or <C>hip (Program)?$F C ? Esc)$Write R<A>M or R<O>M buffer to file?$A O ? Esc)$What is the Name of the file (you can use full path if you like)?$Shall I write it in <H>ex, <B>inary, or <M>otorola (S9) format?$H B M Esc)$File exists, Shall I Delete it (Y/N)?$Y N ? Esc)?$
                          Working ...$You need to use the Load Buffer command in order to save valid
                          data from the MC68HC705C8. This will write the contents out to
                          the file of your choice from either the RAM or ROM buffer.
                          "Esc" will abort command.$This is asking if the R<A>M or R<O>M buffer is to be written to
                          the file. "Esc" will abort command.$This is asking if you want the output file written in <H>ex, <B>inary
                          or <M>otorola S1 format. Please note this is a personal preference
                          as PROG7.COM will not only work with all three types of file formats
                          But determine which format the file is in regardless of the extension
                          you or the assembler may have used.$What has happened is you selected the name of a file that is already
                          on the system in the drive\path\filename that you selected. What
                          I NEED TO KNOW is should I DELETE this file. If you respond with "Y"
                          I will DELETE the file and reuse it's name for this write, if your
                          is "N" I will ABORT this command?
                          $<P>rogram, <V>erify, <B>lank check ?P V B ? Esc)$R<A>M or R<O>M?$A O ? Esc)$RAM Verified!$Ram does NOT Verify$ROM Verified!$ROM does NOT Verify$ROM is Blank!$ROM is not BLANK!$ROM is Programed!$Error in programming ROM!$Ram is programed!$Error in programming RAM!$Error Programming board not responding!
                          In order to recover ON THE PROGRAMMING MODULE:

1. Place S2 to the RESET position.
                          2. Place S1 in the OFF position.
                          3. Now place S1 in the ON position.
                          4. Then place S2 in the out position.

5. At this point you can chose either to <A>bort or to <C>ontinue.
                          $A C ? Esc)$Error Programming board not responding!$Programming the Chip's onboard RAM!$The Chip in the programming board should now be running your program!$Now programming the on CHIP EPROM!$Blank Checking the "EPROM"!$Now comparing the data in the "EPROM" against the data in the BUFFER!$Now processing programming Pass #$Turn on "VPP" and press <B>last or "ESC" to abort!$B Esc)$Turn "OFF" "VPP" and press any key to continue$At this point we are "ready" to program the part. If you select
                          Program, it will be Blank checked, Programed, and Verified for
                          you. You may also select any of these functions by them selves
                          as well. If any errors are encountered, you will be notified and
                          Prompted before the program continues. "Esc" will abort command.$What has happened is that the Programming Module isn't responding! This
                          indicates that the Programming Module has been reset, powered down or
                          something else has caused the communications to fail such as no Chip in
                          the Programming Module. We have several options at this point. First, if
                          this is the first time this Programming Module is being used, power it
                          down, then jumper pins 29 and 30 together in the 40 pin socket or 32 and
                          33 in the PLCC socket, power the module up (place switch S1 in the ON
                          position), then abort this program and run Procomm, Kermit, or some other
                          terminal program. With the Jumpers in place, anything you enter at the
                          keyboard will be echoed back to you if the communications loop is
                          operating properly. If this fails, there is no way this program will
                          work, either your Programming Module is bad, check the power supply and
                          chip U4, or possibly the jumpers on your serial board are set incorrectly.
                          If the Programming Module echoes back to you, then try another MC68HC705C8
                          processor as this checks the communications link up to the processor being
                          programed. The processor is actually programming itself, and if it is not
                          operating properly, programming will fail. If the Programming Module is
                          ok, just continue, as the Chip will have its control code reloaded. Good
                          Luck and Good Programming!
                          PS this program resets the baud rate to 4800 to talk to the Chip and if we
                          have normal exit, the baud rate is restored to it's original value.$
                          At this point, we are ready to program data into the CHIP, and what I need
                          to know is which buffer I am going to write to the CHIP. If you select the
                          R<A>M "RAM" option, I will load the data from the RAM buffer into the RAM
                          of the CHIP and turn control over to it at location 51H. If you select the
                          R<O>M "ROM" option, I will program the "EPROM" with the data located in the
                          ROM buffer and regain control of the CHIP when finished. Remember if you do
                          NOT want to PROGRAM the device you can press the "ABORT COMMAND KEY" "ESC"
                          key same as in most other menu's to abort the command and go back to the
                          main MENU!$

$Pause during display [^S always works] (Y/N)?$Y N )$Dump <C>hip or <B>uffer?$C B ? Esc)$
                          We are going to display data on the Console, the source of that
                          data will come from either the Internal Buffer or the Chip. You
                          need to determine at this point which you would like to see!$This is asking what memory you want to display, RAM or ROM!
                          $You need DOS 2.0 or greater to run this program!You need DOS 3.0 or greater to write files with this program!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Pete; January 11, 2015, 11:30 AM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete: Prog7 via the printer port might work on TEMP05's 68HC705C8 processor, but the one used on TEMP05 is OTP (One Time Programmable) and thus cannot be re-written. 68HC705C8's were exceedingly hard to find when I came out with TEMP08 10 years ago, but if you have a source, that might be a way to go to upgrade TEMP05. However, AFAIK, the 705C8 uses a serial port programming interface. I've never seen a version that used the parallel port.

Prog7 won't work with the 68HC908KX8 used on TEMP08. The KX8 is a flash device, not a CMOS EPROM - different technology. A programmer can be built pretty easily for the KX8 (check the documentation) and software to program it is easily available (PEMicro is one source). The quote from our website about programming via the RS232 port only applies to the latest hardware version, which uses a JB16 processor. The KX8 versions are not in-circuit programmable.

At any rate, I sent Graham the user guide for v2.11. Open offer to anyone needing older user guides: just PM me. I keep them all.

Lastly: if anyone is upgrading their own TEMP08, please make sure to choose the right version to upgrade to. V4.04 only works with the latest JB16 processor. V2.24 is needed if your KX8-based unit has a 93C86 EEPROM. V2.22 is needed if your KX8-based unit has a 93C66 EEPROM. If you aren't sure, PM me.

Mitch
                            http://www.midondesign.com

Comment

Mitch,
                              Is the Temp08 a direct drop in for a Temp05? I had a lot of issues years ago getting my network stable but was solved by putting resistors in like with the sensors.

Comment

Working...
                              X