This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Players

I'm setting SeerAmp up on a system that has two four port sound cards. The sound cards are not on the same machine as HomeSeer. I have setup multiple instances of Winamp and redirected the outputs to the different sound cards, but how do I setup multiple SeerAmp Server ports on the remote machine?

Setup the config on both machines. There is a Winamp-side config and a HomeSeer side config.

Comment

Dale,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm having trouble on the remote machine that has multiple copies of Winamp open. Does each copy of Winamp (on the same remote machine) have to have a different server port? Every time I change one it changes them all. Thanks, Ron.

Comment

Well, what you are going to have to do is basicly "install" (not really, just copy the folder) Winamp into 2 different directories. How I did this was copy the current Winamp folder, and just rename it! Therefore, I had C:\Program Files\Winamp and C:\Program Files\Winamp_2. You could extend this to C:\Program Files\Winamp_3, C:\Program Files\Winamp_4, and even to C:\Program Files\Winamp_5. There are many pros and cons to doing this. Here is a list that I came up with:

Pros and Cons to Having Multiple Winamp Directories
        <UL TYPE=SQUARE>Pros:
        <LI>Winamp does not use a lot of memory, so having multiple instances open doesn't affect your PC
        <LI>You can have multiple configurations; This is good if you have brothers or sisters that like to use different skins and settings
        <LI>Along that line, the playlist is uniquely saved among the Winamp directories (there is a different playlist for each directories)
        <LI>You can listen to Winamp on 2 different sound cards with ease[/list]
        <UL TYPE=SQUARE>Cons:
        <LI>When installing a new plugin, you have to copy it to each Winamp directory; This also includes any other files under the Winamp directory (bookmarks, skins, etc)[/list]
        That's about all I can think of at the moment. Please let me know and I'll add to the list. Also...let me know if it works for you. If you cannot get it working, I'd be more than happy to give technical support via the telephone.

Comment

Dale,

Sorry, I did not describe my problem correctly. When I go into the Winamp preferences and change the port number under Plug-ins - SeerAMP Server v0.2 Beta 2, it changes all my copies of Winamp to the same port. I assume that I need each copy to have a unique port number to control it. Thanks, Ron.
          ron@miracletechinc.com

Comment

That is correct. Like I described, the plugin settings are usually saved in files within the plugin directory, therefore you do need multiple copies of Winamp and the plugin. Is that confusing? Sorry.

Comment

Dale,
              I'm sorry to keep bugging you, but I still can not get different ports working on the same machine. I would like to get this working, because we are having some potential investors come and see our automation system (and we would like to sell your plug-in with our package). You had mentioned possibly helping me over the phone. If this is an option, please email me. Thank you. Ron
              ron@miracletechinc.com

Comment

Thanks for your help Dale. I don't know if this is documented but I will post your answer for every else to see.

Make a shortcut to each instance of Winamp. In the target enter
                "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /CLASS=SeerAMP_m1
                -this is for the first instance
                "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /CLASS=SeerAMP_m2
                -this is for your second instance, and so on.

Comment

I was JUST about to post that...thanks though!

Comment

Working...
                  X