X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ALSO Cannot recognize DTMF tones

Hi there.

I am in the USA and have had no luck getting the Skype Connector scripts to recongize my DTMF (touch) tones. I am using the original scripts that came with Skype Connector (they have not been altered). I have tried changing the DtmfTrigger setting as recommended in another thread--with no luck.
    I have used values from 140000 to 210000.

I have tried calling into the sytem with cell phones and land based lines--all have failed to recongnize the tones properly.

Please help.

Thanks.

Don V.

If the DtmfTrigger doesn't help, I really don't know what could be happening.

There are many registered users for this plugin, and except one user who solved his problem using the DtmfTrigger setting, you are the only one to report this.

Which version of the Skype Client are you using ?
    Does Dtmf detection work when calling from another Skype client ?
    --
    stipus

Comment

Comment

Tested and Dtmf works fine when Skype user calls in

As the message title states, Dtmf works fine when a Skype user calls--so the problem is just with calls coming in from land-based phones. Maybe a US only problem??? By the way, the Dtmf worked fine when I was using it with SIP connector (using Vonage Softphone). I cancelled my Vonage account because you could NOT purchase JUST a softphone account.

Let me know if you have any further ideas. By the way, can I setup SIP Connector to use my Skype account? You can see where I am heading with this question. If SIP Connector Dtmf worked with Vonage Softphone, why not try SIP Connector with Skype??

Thanks again for your help.

Take Care-

Don

Comment

I really don't understand, because I copy/pasted the DTMF detection algorithm from the SIP Connector code.

If Dtmf detection worked with the SIP Connector, it should work the same with the Skype connector.

Can you post a debug log with an incoming landline call ?
          --
          stipus

Comment

Debug log from landland call into Skype Connector

Here is what I did:

I called in using a landline.

When I got the prompt to enter admin code or press star to leave a message, I tried entering my admin code of: 1234 on my phone

Script continued to ask me to enter my admin code or press star...

I then hungup.

Here is the Skype debug log:
            4/28/2008 1:00:40 PM Skype Debug SkypeIncomingCallConnectedEvent - CALL 786 SCRIPT skype_unknown.vb
            4/28/2008 1:00:49 PM Skype Debug SkypeCallDtmfEvent - CALL 786 CODE 1 SCRIPT skype_unknown.vb
            4/28/2008 1:00:49 PM Skype Debug SkypeCallDtmfEvent - CALL 786 CODE 1 SCRIPT skype_unknown.vb
            4/28/2008 1:00:50 PM Skype Debug SkypeCallDtmfEvent - CALL 786 CODE 2 SCRIPT skype_unknown.vb
            4/28/2008 1:00:50 PM Skype Debug SkypeCallDtmfEvent - CALL 786 CODE 1 SCRIPT skype_unknown.vb
            4/28/2008 1:00:52 PM Skype Debug SkypeCallTimeoutEvent - CALL 786 SCRIPT skype_unknown.vb
            4/28/2008 1:01:00 PM Skype Debug SkypeCallFinishedEvent - CALL 786 SCRIPT skype_unknown.vb

Comment

It looks like the plugin detected 1-1-2-1

4/28/2008 1:00:50 PM Skype Debug SkypeCallDtmfEvent - CALL 786 CODE 2 SCRIPT skype_unknown.vb
              4/28/2008 1:00:50 PM Skype Debug SkypeCallDtmfEvent - CALL 786 CODE 1 SCRIPT skype_unknown.vb

You should:
              - leave debug mode ON
              - experiment again with a few values for DtmfTrigger.

You should restart with default DtmfTrigger value (around 180000), and check the debug log at the same time you are sending DTMF, to see if detection better matches your input.

It looks like the value you currently have for DtmfTrigger is really too low.

Unfortunately, each time you want to change the Dtmf Trigger, you need to shutdown HS, change the ini file, and restart
              --
              stipus

Comment

Maximum value for DtmfTrigger??

Hi there Stipus--

I have increased my DtmfTrigger to 240000, and this appears to be working better at tone recognition for landbased phone lines, but NOT cell phones--for some reason, cell phone touch tones are completely ignored.

What is the max value for DtmfTrigger? I started with 180000, as you requested and increased the value by 10000 until I reached 250000 (would you recommend smaller increments??). The debug log now shows my key presses, but there are a few doubled entries--for example, when I press 3 once--debug reports two to three 3's as being pressed(it is completely variable). I assume this is due to the DtmfTrigger setting being raised to 240000.

Thanks again for your help.

Take care--Don

Comment

Don,

There is no min or max value for the DtmfTrigger. This is an 32-bit integer value, and the range is very large.

Each audio sample is sent to 8 frequency detection functions that return a positive integer for each of the 8 possible DTMF frequencies (4 columns, and 4 rows).

I then used my own phone to find the best trigger.

Triggers are checked in order 1,2,3,A then 4,5,6,B then 7,8,9,C, then *,0,#,D

If you set a too low trigger value, you 'll get a lot of wrong 1, 2 detections and you'll never get any detection for 7,8,9 or *,0,#.

If you set a too high trigger value, then some frequencies won't be detected.

If the numbers are sometimes not detected and sometimes detected, you may get duplicates, as the plugin thinks it's 2 different key presses. This means the trigger is set too high.

DTMF detection is really a lot of compromises and I have no idea for a better algorithm.
                  --
                  stipus

Comment

SKYPE DTMF tone recognition

I found that there is a difference between incoming and outgoing calls, in the U.S. at least. At 240000 when HS calls a cell phone, DTMF recognition is flawless. When calling into HS with a cell phone, all keys are ignored. When HS calls a landline, key responses are all garbage but when a landline calls into HS, it works flawless. To have landline keys recognized, I have to up the trigger to 270000, but then incoming calls are garbage.

How will one overcome this having to restart HS every time a trigger's value is changed?

Comment

I had a look at the DTMF detection algorithm again, and I'm going to release a new version with more parameters, so that DTMF detection can be tweaked more.
                      --
                      stipus

Comment

Do you have a time for this release?

I am late in delivering a project, which is stalled on this very issue at great embarrassment. If you could give me an estimated time of release, I would know how to respond here on my side.

Thanks for your prompt attention, Stipus.

Comment

DTMF recognition

Stipus,

If you could separate out each key's frequency and give us control over that? Perhaps even without having to restart HS?

bignick

Originally posted by stipus View Post
                          I had a look at the DTMF detection algorithm again, and I'm going to release a new version with more parameters, so that DTMF detection can be tweaked more.

Comment

I'll do my best to release a new version ASAP. I hope it's ready within the next 48 hours.

However, it's possible that there is a DTMF problem (between PSTN network and Skype Network) before the DTMF frequencies hit the plugin...
                            --
                            stipus

Comment

Here is a new version with more DTMF parameters.

DTMF parameters are now available through the web configuration interface, and are taken into account for the next call.

- Enable Inband DTMF for PSTN calls

Here in France Skype doesn't send DTMF codes for PSTN calls, this is why I have to use my own inband DTMF detection algorithm for PSTN calls. Maybe in the US Skype always send DTMF codes, and you can disable inband DTMF detection.

- Inband DTMF Trigger.

Default is 180000. If the Goertzel function result for a specific frequency is above this level, the frequency is found.

- Inband DTMF packet count

This is the number of packets that must contain the same DTMF frequencies before DTMF detection is triggered. Each packet is 10ms, thus the default value (4) means the same DTMF frequencies must be detected for 40ms before trigger.

I didn't add parameters for each frequency, as the 8 DTMF frequencies are universal, and should never change between countries or phone systems.

[EDIT] Attachement removed as a new version is available
                              Last edited by stipus; December 17, 2008, 10:05 AM.
                              --
                              stipus

Comment

Working...
                              X