This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tivo trial

thanks for the response. my homeseer server is at address 192.168.0.20 and the tivo box is at 192.168.0.21.
    when i entered the command from my laptop i got the cant find the address.
    but when i entered:
    http:192.168.0.20/TiVO?locationlist on my laptop
    i got the following:

|@|A/C|+|BASEMENT|+|HOT WATER|+|LOFT|+|MASTER BEDROOM|+|PORCH|+|TEMPERATURE|+|WEATHERXML|+|Z-WAVE INTERFACE|@|

Comment

billm,

We are getting somewhere now. There is something different about your network setup. Let's see what HomeSeer reported your IP address as being...
      If you go to the bin\TiVO directory under the HomeSeer directory, there is a file called runHomeSeer.bat. Open this with NOTEPAD (do not double-click and run it) and on the last line, you will see "--intf" followed by one or more IP addresses. Let us know what those IP addresses are, as this appears to us that HomeSeer is reporting a different IP address than what you are using.

After letting us know, you can close notepad and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Comment

tivo license

I have included the file.
        the ip addresses have changed since last post.
        homeseer is in a pc I call server at 192.168.0.20
        tivo is now at 192.168.0.26 per tivo sys settings and per netgear router
        my laptop ( which i use as access to both the internet, homeseer and tivo
        is now at 192.168.0.23.
        tivo can display pictures from both the server and my laptop ( I just checked)
        my laptop can access the tivo ok.
        however the other day when you asked me to enter the command i was on my laptop and since your command started with localhost I presumed that you wanted me to run it from the homeseer server which is upstairs, so I ran it as
        http://192.168.0.20/TiVO?locationlist
        i got the output that I reported
        Today I just tried it again from my laptop and got the homeSeer screen (without any detail ) with the following:
        Guests are not authorized to access this feature

so i just went upstairs and entered the command from my homeseer server and got the same!!!!

first time i have seen this

so I went into setup, web users and found guest with a 4 char password ( cant remember if i had done this last year )
        changed the password to blank and saved it.
        went to tivo thinking it would work and got the same error message.

Comment

tivo license

i don't see the attached file so i copy th file here:
          @echo off
          REM This script will run the HomeSeer TiVo plugin
          REM
          REM You must either have java in your path, or you must edit this script
          REM to use your installed java.
          REM

start javaw -cp .\hme-host.jar;.\hme.jar;.\homeseer.jar;.\bananas.jar com.tivo.hme.host.sample.Main --intf 192.168.0.20 com.tivo.hme.homeseer.HomeSeer

Comment

billm,

I know exactly what the problem is.

Your in-house (local network) user only has guest capabilities, and guests are not allowed to get to plug-in created web pages.

To correct this, go to your Web Users tab of config again, find the user where the user rights says "Guest + Local", and change the user to have Admin rights. When you are done, it should say "Admin + Local".

It should work fine now.

Comment

tivo license

changing user guest to admin and local did fix the problem of homeseer license,
              HOWEVER
              i do NOT WANT guest to have admin properties.
              can this be fixed?

Comment

Yes, you need to change which user is used for local (in house) access to HomeSeer. Create a new user, give that user Admin access, and then set that user for the local access user. Your guest account should not have ever been used for the local access account.

Comment

tivo license

thanks for your patience
                  i have 3 users listed

guest blank passwd admin
                  default xxxxxxxxx pwd admin
                  admin xxxxxxxxx pwd admin+local

this works but if i change guest to guest it does not work.
                  I am still confused. how do set this up?

Comment

It might be that you have to restart HomeSeer or something - you'd have to ask them because you should definitely be able to have the guest account have only guest access. Perhaps it has something to do with the blank password? The default password for the guest account is guest.

If you have made the changes like they are shown, and clicked Save at the bottom of the screen, then it definitely should work.

Any time you do the test I gave you and do not get back that list of locations, then it will not work for the Java applet either.

Glad you are at least able to check out the plug-in!

Comment

Won't Show Up on TiVos

Hi,

Just installed the TiVo app with Homeseer. Installation seemed to have gone perfectly, although Homseer's IP address seems inconsistent with my network. I am trying to control UPB devices and that works fine with Homeseer.

The problem is the TiVo app is not showing on the TiVos (Series3). Home Media option is enabled on the TiVos and the TiVo desktop software works fine from all computers.

Windows firewall is not enabled on the computer running Homeseer.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

FYI:

1/25/2008 5:01:13 PM - TiVO - The HomeSeer-TiVo HME Application Server will use IP Address: 223.1.1.128

1/25/2008 5:01:18 PM - TiVO - The TiVO-HomeSeer HME Application Server was successfully started - Enjoy your TiVO and HomeSeer!

Also FYI, my subnet is 192.168.168.XXX

Comment

Follow-up to my earlier message.... I got the app to show on the TiVo by uninstalling a VPN client on the host computer. I got the clue for this from another thread. What I'm confused about is that I had the impression this issue would be "fixed" as the thread I was referencing was from February 2007. I no longer needed the VPN connection on this machine, but others surely will. How should this be handled on a computer with multiple connections?

Comment

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble that you went through.

The system was updated a while back to do handle systems with multiple IP addresses, but it always gets (at startup) the IP address that the HomeSeer system is using. It would be possible I think to add a server process for each IP address, but so far we have not received any requests for this.

When a VPN is activated, it is as if you physically picked up the machine and put it down in the network that you are connecting to. In my experience, if the VPN is to a corporate network, then they will not allow the PC to have a bridge to multiple networks for security reasons, so the PC has a connection to two networks and the two shall never meet. For this reason, you would not want the TiVO plug-in to be apparent on your corporate (VPN) network as the TiVO Beacon protocol would be sending things over your corporate network every minute.

I suspect that if the TiVO plug-in had the IP address of the VPN network, then HomeSeer did too. If that is not the case, then at this time I do not have an answer for how we determine which is the local network and which is the VPN, or whether we should try to establish service on all of the IP address(es) on a system. We hope that disconnecting the VPN before starting HomeSeer would be the correct answer, but again, more information would be good to have.

Thank you.

Comment

work with homeseer 1.x?

Does this plugin work with homeseer 1.x? Where can I download it from and try it out?

Comment

Sorry, the plug-in only works with HomeSeer 2.2 or greater because of it having the device control API that we use.

If you have HomeSeer 2, you can get the plug-in from the updater and you will automatically (when you activate the plug-in) get a 30 day trial.

Thanks

GRHS

Comment

Working...
                              X