This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Surge through CM11a Fried My PC

I always worried that this would happen. A few days ago, we had a pair of massive power surges when the local power company was working on some lines in the neighborhood. As the CM11a doesn't work right when attached to a surge protector, I plugged it straight into the wall. Big mistake. My PC is now toast. The power supply and hard drive (and maybe other components) got whacked, and melted something onto the motherboard. I won't be plugging another one of these units into my PC.

Originally posted by visormiser
    I always worried that this would happen. A few days ago, we had a pair of massive power surges when the local power company was working on some lines in the neighborhood. As the CM11a doesn't work right when attached to a surge protector, I plugged it straight into the wall. Big mistake. My PC is now toast. The power supply and hard drive (and maybe other components) got whacked, and melted something onto the motherboard. I won't be plugging another one of these units into my PC.
    Sorry for your loss.

The computer probably got fried from its own power cord, not the CM11a. Almost all surge protectors are good for one strong hit, then they are useless. So the first surge took out your surge protector, the second took out your PC.

The CM11a would have most likely fried the computer's com port, but not enough to kill the PS or drive.

I use a UPS on all my computers. One with full time power isolation like the APC Smart series will last a lot longer and protect better than even a $200 surge protector.

Doug

Comment

.. and I believe that units like the APC ones give you insurance to cover equipment damaged as a result of a power spike (for components plugged into to of course)

Comment

Good luck in getting any money from a loss of any kind from these UPS companies. I have lightning take out my weather server several times and I have never received a cent form APC. I have 3 claims in now the earliest one from 5 years ago and I have never received any return mail.

I agree with what dmohr stated. The CM11A will hardly carry a static shock without burning out. There is no way this could carry enough juice to melt anything on the MB. The worst I have ever heard was a fried com port and that was extreme.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Wow Greg, that's amazing. I must admit that when I read their guarantees that I wonder if it's just marketing. That's a real disappointment that they don't respond. What's their position on it?

Comment

Jeff,
            I have no idea on their position they will simply not response to any correspondence. The emails are all runarounds, direct calls are impossible, and messages left go unanswered. So I have no idea what their position is.

Comment

that's a drag - at least I find their equipment pretty good

Comment

Have you checked wiht Better Business? At least report it to them so others might find out the guarantee is a falsehood. Sounds like a great oportunity for a dirt-bag attorney to file a class action suit and get you $5 or so (while he gets the million).

Comment

Originally posted by gcyeaw
                  Have you checked wiht Better Business? At least report it to them so others might find out the guarantee is a falsehood. Sounds like a great oportunity for a dirt-bag attorney to file a class action suit and get you $5 or so (while he gets the million).
                  I can't believe I'm the only one who has ever tried to collect on these? I do have a lawyer involved but and has been for a long time but these type of things can go on for years.

Comment

Working...
                  X