This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions

Has the plugin been upgraded to recognize more than one of these units?

How's the sound from a real amp not an ELK and Music not TTS

Can I put inwall speaker volume controls inline with this unit? It's nice to have a switch handy on the wall as well just incase the kids have taken off with the touchpad...)

Any bugs in the plugin

Has the plugin been upgraded to recognize more than one of these units?
    The author has included a second copy of the plugin to add support for a second unit.

How's the sound from a real amp not an ELK and Music not TTS
    I use a lower end Sony stereo amp, but I have not noticed any effect on audio quality (music or TTS).

Can I put inwall speaker volume controls inline with this unit?
    I have had volume controls (Russound) on each zone from day 1. I believe the AB8SS has its own impedance matching, but I used impedance match volume controls anyway. Works fine and I haven't destroyed the amp yet.

Any bugs in the plugin
    I haven't seen any in latest version - both unit and plugin have been flawless.

Mark
    Mark

Comment

Kevin,

I agree with Mark about the quality of the unit. I've had both of mine operational with regular amps for several years, without incident. I, too, have always used impedance matching volume controls. You can get good, cheap ones from Worthington for approximately $20 apiece.

Comment

Thanks guys. That answers a lot. I take it with the inline volume controls you are leaving the corresponding speakers "On" at the AB8SS and simply using the wall control for the on/off functions.

Comment

Kevin,

Well, actually, I use the AB8SS to turn on/off rooms for particular events, such as incoming phone calls, kids' bedtime, etc. But, sometimes I'll crank the volume control down to zero to turn off the sound for a room, if I'm not near a computer/controller.

--David

Comment

Thanks guys,

going to order one up on Monday.

Comment

For you guys using impedance matching volume controls, how do you wire these. All of my volume controls are not impedance matching and when I look at the matching volume controls it mentions 8,16,32,64 or something to this effect. Do you have to reset the impedance on each switch each time you add a new volume control?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hey, Rupp.

I run a 2 pair 14 ga cable from my wiring closet to a volume control in each of the rooms in our house, and then 2 separate single-pair 14 ga wires to the stereo speakers I've installed in the ceilings. Make sure you put the wires in righ-side up, or the electrons won't be able to flow upwards.

Each of the ~$20 volume controls I bought from Worthington is impedance matching. I didn't have to set anything on them.

--David

Comment

Rupp-

I used Russound LPTx-2 impedance matching volume controls. I believe I used the 1X setting for all of them. I don't think this volume control is actually doing any impedance matching at the 1X setting, so I guess I am really relying on the AB8SS.

I believe the AB8SS does automatic impedance matching as you turn speakers on/off. At least I sure as heck hope so.

Anybody else out there who has not used impedance match volume controls with the AB8SS? And has your amp blown up yet?

Mark
                  Mark

Comment

If I remember correctly, I think Ray said there was a master resistor or something that was shared for impedance matching. It definitely has that capability. Heck, I've been running one amp with an AB8SS for over 4 years with no problems.

--David

Comment

Do you know what the maximum wattage is you can drive through the AB8SS?

Comment

Mike,
                        It appears to vary depending on the number of speakers attached.

http://www.hacs.com/ab8ssspec.html
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                        X