X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray's Latest Volume Controls

Hey, guys.

I caught Ray this morning in IM, and was so confused by our communication, I actually called him for clarification. OK, here's what he's thinking about:

He's looking at making modular volume control boxes. Each one would control one speaker PAIR. You could buy as many as you needed (up to 16) and string them together on a single speaker output.

He told me there were two ways to go with electronic volume control: 1.) Autotransformer 2.) Transformerless. I felt dumb, but didn't really know the difference, so I asked. Apparently an autotransformer is a single coil with multiple taps. Transformerless gives you different volume levels by adding in resistors. I asked what the benefits/detractions were. Apparently transformerless is cheaper BUT when you add subtract speaker loads, it can have a noticeable affect on the volume of the rest of the speaker modules wired in parallel. I spoke on behalf of all of us, and said we'd prefer the autotransformer route, as the change in volume level on the other modules would not be an acceptable byproduct. (Can I get and "Amen"?) Actually, what do you think about this? Would you rather save $4, but have annoying volume changes when you turned on/off speakers in other rooms?

Second issue we discussed was whether there should be a relay in the module to turn on/off individual rooms. Of course, this is partially a cost issue. I said that if we could set a volume control to zero, that would effectively turn off a room, and we'd like that. He then asked if there'd be an interest in having and A/B input on each module. I know what you're thinking, "Depends on how much it costs." So, I asked him. He said the end price differential would be approximately an additional $5 per module. I told him I thought most people would think it worth an extra 5 bucks a module to have the flexibility, but I'd ask. What do you think? Is it worth $5 to have A/B input flexibility?

I spoke to him about control and said that we'd want both IR and serial. He said that was easy. (Love these engineers.) I did ask about IP control. He said that some of his future products would be designed that way, but not this one.

On the issue of serial vs. USB. He said that he could supply a cable to convert from serial to USB for about $10, but he didn't want to make the boxes USB controlled directly. The reason is because USB is terrific for computer control, but he envisions these modules controlled by other types of devices (non PC) as well, and they would commuicate by regular ol' RS-232.

These modules are going to be about the size of a standard wall volume control. But, they're not designed for in-wall installation. Each module will be designed so that it can be bolted to an adjoining one so they're all daisy-chained together. The whole string of them can be mounted to your wiring wall. You'll be able to connect separate IR wires to each volume control for individual control, or you can address each one independently with serial commands. Each module will have a separate address (set at the factory).

He's hoping to have pricing information next week.

What do you guys think of all this? I told Ray I'd tell him your responses.

--David

When will they ship

Only 1 question, 1 serial port for multiple volume controls ?
    I hope.

StevenE
    Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

A couple of questions please....

I am ready to buy also, but a couple of questions the current one only has 8 ports how are we getting 16, and a repeat question one serial port for the volume controls, and is the plugin going to be able to be upgraded for supporting it

Thom

Comment

Yes, he said he's going to make it so that one serial port can control multiple (up to 16) volume controls. He's going to design it so that all the volume controls are impedance matching. You'd apparently set some jumpers in each of the volume controls for the load size. I don't remember exactly how it works, but he was talking about jumpers for 1X, 4X, 8X, etc. Thus, if you have 16 pairs of speakers attached to a single amplifier, each volume control would receive the same amount of power, regardless of what volume you set the control to. This is unlike the AB8SS, which uses a series of resistors, as I recall. That's why, when you turn off half the speakers, the others get a jump in volume.

I have not put any thought into whether or not I'd support these devices, or make a separate plug-in altogether, or leave it to someone else to do. Just wanted to share the latest news from Ray.

Hope you're all having a great weekend,

--David

Comment

Originally posted by dkindred

He's looking at making modular volume control boxes. Each one would control one speaker PAIR. You could buy as many as you needed (up to 16) and string them together on a single speaker output.
          Sounds like a great design to me.

I spoke on behalf of all of us, and said we'd prefer the autotransformer route, as the change in volume level on the other modules would not be an acceptable byproduct. (Can I get and "Amen"?) Actually, what do you think about this? Would you rather save $4, but have annoying volume changes when you turned on/off speakers in other rooms?
          Amen! Volume jumps are not acceptable especially if this can be solved for under $5.

Second issue we discussed was whether there should be a relay in the module to turn on/off individual rooms. Of course, this is partially a cost issue. I said that if we could set a volume control to zero, that would effectively turn off a room, and we'd like that.
          The AB8SS already is on/off...or are we talking about completely independent modules here and won't need the AB8SS?

He then asked if there'd be an interest in having and A/B input on each module. I know what you're thinking, "Depends on how much it costs." So, I asked him. He said the end price differential would be approximately an additional $5 per module. I told him I thought most people would think it worth an extra 5 bucks a module to have the flexibility, but I'd ask. What do you think? Is it worth $5 to have A/B input flexibility?
          For sure

I spoke to him about control and said that we'd want both IR and serial. He said that was easy. (Love these engineers.) I did ask about IP control. He said that some of his future products would be designed that way, but not this one.
          As long as we only need one serial for all of them. My server only has one RS232 port.

IR: Could you please talk to Ray about including an actual IR receiver built into the unit? Lots of us are using the Ocelot and Secu16IR to control our AV equipment. With an actual hardwired IR receiver we could simply program the Ocelot with the IR codes (as long as we had a remote control) and then use stick-on IR emitters plugged into the Secu16IR to control these volume controls just like any other AV equipment. Real simple

I have 10 unused IR channels on my Secu16IR doing nothing. I'd pay extra to have an IR receiver built in for sure. I am sure I'm not alone on this one.

Lastly and importantly it would mean we would not be relying someone's personal time to make sure we have a special plugin to control them. HS IR commands would do the trick nicely.

On the issue of serial vs. USB. He said that he could supply a cable to convert from serial to USB for about $10, but he didn't want to make the boxes USB controlled directly. The reason is because USB is terrific for computer control, but he envisions these modules controlled by other types of devices (non PC) as well, and they would commuicate by regular ol' RS-232.
          Perfect. How does this affect the plugin?

Count me in...this would solve so many issues with distributed zoned audio.
          Last edited by kevind; March 5, 2005, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevind
            The AB8SS already is on/off...or are we talking about completely independent modules here and won't need the AB8SS?
            Now that I think of it, yes, you're right, there would be no need for the AB8SS. These modules would replace the functionality.

As long as we only need one serial for all of them. My server only has one RS232 port.
            One serial port can support up to 16 modules, Ray says. Each module will have its own address and will ignore commands not directed to it.

IR: Could you please talk to Ray about including an actual IR receiver built into the unit?
            Next time I see him in IM, I'll be happy to ask.

Perfect. How does this affect the plugin?
            It doesn't affect the plug-in, as I am not making any commitment, at this time, to support the modules either in the AB8SS plug-in, or in any other manner.

Best wishes for a great week,

--David

Comment

Another thought:

It would be a nice feature if these stereo modules ganged together would fit into a standard audio rack. Black in colour.

A slick way to mount for those of us using standardized racks. Else mount to the wall.

Thoughts?

Also on the "On/Off" feature. On / Off is a must I think not just volume to 0. On/Off is instant.

Comment

Kevind,

I IM'ed Ray about the IR control. He said it would be possible to provide a single IR window to control all of the volume controls ganged together. If I understood correctly, the control he would sell with address "1" might be the one to have the IR window, and it would pass it to any other modules (regardless of address) hooked together. What do you think of that idea?

Ray mentioned that the modules could be bolted together, and he was going to have some brackets you would put on the ends of group of them to mount the group on the wall. How would you propose fitting them in a standard audio rack? I think these things are between 2" and 3" in width. How wide is a rack? 19"? Are you saying, that if you had 7 of them, you'd want to mount that grouping of them in a rack? How would you handle 5 of them ganged together? I'm not getting it.

As for the On/Off feature. Ray said that the volume controls would have "presets" in them, and you could command a switch to go to a particular preset level. You could have one preset set for 0 volume level. But, you will also be able to have the controls be set to a particular level with a direct command. The On/Off will be nearly instantaneous, but will ramp up/down quickly to get there. Going instant on or instant off would interfere with a patent that exists with one of the large companies for whom he's done engineering work.

--David

Comment

Dave

I IM'ed Ray about the IR control. He said it would be possible to provide a single IR window to control all of the volume controls ganged together. If I understood correctly, the control he would sell with address "1" might be the one to have the IR window, and it would pass it to any other modules (regardless of address) hooked together. What do you think of that idea?
                  Negative. Each module should have it's own IR receiver otherwise independent volume control via IR is not possible...which is the whole point. This would also standardize design.

The Secu16IR allows "zoned" IR control, which means that identical IR controlled equipment can be controlled independently. This is really great and very simple to setup because it means only programming one remote control for all the identical AV equipement. In HS the zoned IR commands would be for example:

(Zone 1) [1]Speaker,On
                  (Zone 2) [2] Speaker,On
                  (Zone 3) [3] Speaker,On

and so on...

Same command for all just zoned for independent control....follow?

Ray mentioned that the modules could be bolted together, and he was going to have some brackets you would put on the ends of group of them to mount the group on the wall. How would you propose fitting them in a standard audio rack? I think these things are between 2" and 3" in width. How wide is a rack? 19"? Are you saying, that if you had 7 of them, you'd want to mount that grouping of them in a rack? How would you handle 5 of them ganged together? I'm not getting it.
                  Here is a link to standardized audio rack dimension:
                  http://www.smarthome.com/RACKSYS.HTML

Since I am not actually building these and have no idea what the minium casing size requirements would be to house the required hardware, I think this is really for Ray to figure out if this is possible.

At this early stage of design I would hope this could be considered. How about 8 of them equals one rack width by say 2 or 3 rack spaces high? As I am not the designer, ust a wish list item that would be very nice.

As for the On/Off feature. Ray said that the volume controls would have "presets" in them, and you could command a switch to go to a particular preset level. You could have one preset set for 0 volume level. But, you will also be able to have the controls be set to a particular level with a direct command. The On/Off will be nearly instantaneous, but will ramp up/down quickly to get there. Going instant on or instant off would interfere with a patent that exists with one of the large companies for whom he's done engineering work.
                  Ahhh.....can't have patent infringement going on can we? Regardless, the method proposed above sounds great. It seems like Ray is quite the electronics genius...nice to have him on board with us.

This little unit is going to be very very powerful. I sent you an email directly to discuss something else regarding this...
                  Last edited by kevind; March 8, 2005, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Kevind,

Dave
                    Negative. Each module should have it's own IR receiver otherwise independent volume control via IR is not possible...which is the whole point. This would also standardize design.
                    I spoke with Ray last night about the volume controls. He's apparently in the final stages with them, and is working on getting tooling put together, if I recall correctly. He cannot change the form factor of them now, to fit within a rack. He thought he might create a frame or box in which to mount the volume controls, but it wouldn't correlate to a rack size; it would be intended to help with wall mounting of the devices. His thought is that these modules will be placed in non-public areas.

I spoke with him on the issue of IR. He's been working with IR controlled devices for something like 20 years. He explained to me why we do not want to have a receiver on each module: light leakage. He said you can cut down, and cut down on the current to various emitters/blasters, but, no matter what, there is some degree of light leakage from one box to the next. It's apparently a nightmare to deal with. That's why he would want to have one master IR window that would pass signals on to each volume control. The way it would work would be to assign unique IR codes to each volume control's function. ("Vol Up" would be a different IR code for the living room than "Vol Up" for the kitchen.)

--David

Comment

IR: Independent control is the root of the matter...leave it to the master engineer to come up with a solution.

Cheers.

PS: Thanks David.

Comment

David,

Was there an estimated price ?

I looked but didn't see any.

Thanks.
                        StevenE
                        Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

StevenE,

I asked him about pricing last week. He said that he was supposed to be getting an estimate of the cost this week. Unfortunately, he didn't have a ballpark figure he could toss out. Cost is always a big factor for me (I'm of Scottish heritage, laddie), so you know I'm going to be asking about that. I'll be happy to post as soon as I learn anything.

--David

Comment

Hey Dave,

Any update? I've been way too busy lately to follow up on things we discussed...the bane of owning your own businesses

Comment

Hey, Kevin.

Nope, I haven't heard anything from him. I just shot him an E-mail an hour ago, and will let you know what I hear. Hope it's cheap!

--David

Comment

Working...
                              X