This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WafNetCaller newbie, and frustrated....

I just receveid my Netcaller box and and working on getting the software configured.

The main quesion I have is why it does do everything differently than HSP did? I have a few custom scripts that will log the callers and speak who is calling. Not what I have WAFNetCallerID I see all of them are useless because this program logs different data to different locations, non of which is compatable.

Any I missing something? or is there a compatability switch someplace?

I am a bit frustrated that I don't have my phonelog.asp working and I am unable to see who called from my web page.

Is the latest version the one in the updater? I see different .ini file options listed that I have in mine.

Scott

In a nutshell, the answer to your question is: Because HomeSeer Technologies did not write it or provide it.

What it does do, however, is use the HSP function that sets/tells HSP about the Caller-ID information, so you CAN use all of HSPs functions relating to caller-ID. However, the package was put together even more so for individuals who do NOT own HSP but still want Caller-ID service in their computer. Thus you cannot have it doing a lot of HSP things when HSP may not even be installed!

The author of that script lurks here (lurks in other places too) and can perhaps help you accomplish/fix some of what is frustrating you.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
    HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Hello, Scott.

I am sorry to hear that you've been confused about setting up WAF-NetCallerID. Since you have HomeSeer Phone, I'm assuming that you're having difficulty with Caller-ID being received by either the HomeSeer modem or the W2C HiPhone. Take a look at your WAF-NetCallerID.INI file located most likely at this location: c:\program files\homeseer\config. Edit the file to look like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
      [Settings]
      i_com_port=7
      i_hsp_installed=1
      i_hs_announces_caller=0
      i_cid_reversed=0
      i_cid_comma_delimiter=0
      i_call_external_script=0
      s_script_name=WAF-NetCallerID-Sample-CID-Processing.vbs
      s_function_name=process_ncid_data
      s_phone_list_file=WAF-NetCallerID-Phone-List.txt
      s_cid_prefix=Call from
      i_enable_logging=1
      InstallDone=True
      </pre>

Make sure you keep the com_port setting to whatever you had before. The other settings will make sure that it is HomeSeer Phone that processes the Caller-ID, rather than the scripts that can be associated with the WAF-NetCallerID script. As Rick pointed out, the primary market for this script is those people who do not have HomeSeer Phone. The secondary market is for people, like me, who are not able to get Caller-ID recognized by HiPhones or the HST modem.

By setting your WAF-NetCallerID.INI file in the manner specified above, it will be up to HomeSeer Phone to process your Caller-ID data, including making announcements on each ring.

I hope that assists you.

Best wishes,

--David

[This message was edited by David Kindred on Fri, 21 November 2003 at 05:12 PM.]

Comment

Whoops!

It seems I edited Scott's note above, rather than posting a reply to it. My apologies, Scott!

If you have your original post, I'll fix the problem. I am so embarrassed!

Sorry,

--David

Comment

Actually I was using Hsp for a while, but I didn't need all the features and decided it would be more cost effective going the WAF NetCaller route. The problem was it used everything different, including logs and announcements. This made my conversion process tough... I have the callers.log working, the announcement is still not working the way I want... and I still have a few other issues, but it is getting closer.

Scott

Comment

Is there anyway to make it annouce the caller on every ring? I am unable to see how to trigger this.

Thanks,

Scott

[This message was edited by sbessel on Sat, 22 November 2003 at 01:29 PM.]

Comment

Hello, Scott.

No, I'm afraid that is not possible, as the NetCallerID device does not pass information through the serial port during each ring, it only passes Caller-ID (and an annoying msg waiting message). If you look elsewhere in this forum, another gentleman was interested in this same functionality and, as I recall, we created some function to announce the caller three times, or so, as a substitute. Perhaps this would meet your needs?

--David

Comment

So the NetCallerID device only announces the callerID events and not rings?

That would mean my only option would be to put delays in the script and announce the name again then....

Can it detect if the phone has been answered? Is there any other data passed or anything else I can read from the device? I am grasping at events I can detect...

Scott

Comment

Scott,

That is correct, the NetCallerID device only detects Caller-ID. It is not a phone answering device, and I do not believe it has local phone pickup sensing capability (which it wouldn't need, since it does not answer calls, itself, and would not need to respond to such things). You can use it for announcing callers, and for triggering events based on incoming phone calls (e.g. Announce "Mom is calling and her birthday is today"; Phone call from cell phone 5 minutes after driveway detector sensed car leaving driveway in the morning, set alarm; etc.)

If you want to detect phone on/off hook status; have the ability to call numbers, or take messages, then I'd recommend taking a look at the Hi-Phone integrated with HomeSeer Phone.

--David

Comment

I ordered a 'phone line busy' kit to hook up to tell HS when the phone is off the hook or when it gets put back on. I want to tie it into my whole house audio system to 'mute' the zones and then un-mute them when the phone gets hung up. You could try something like it. I am thinking of either using the game port plugin or maybe an X10 Powerflash unit (which might work fairly well).

John

http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=7154+RB

[This message was edited by jwilson56 on Mon, 24 November 2003 at 08:49 AM.]
                    John

Comment

Another thing to consider are the phone line ringing and phone line in use relays available from Mike Sandman. You can read a little bit more about them in a post by my swill-drinking (Coca Cola) buddy, Rick here.

--David

Comment

Working...
                      X