This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP installs the hardware?

Plugged it all up. Restared XP - no "new hardware found" dialog.

So no com port identified.

Gussed com 4 and NETCID gave error "port already open". Changed to port 3 and "port opened on com 3".

So is this thing installed? If so aren't you supposed to set the port to 4800 bps?

Thanks,

GLT

Edit: The unit's making a clicking noise evey few seconds - normal?

Edit 2: Quit doing the above but did that when changing display.

GLT,

Standard serial port devices don't fire up the automatic hardware detection routines of XP, as USB devices do. The NetCallerID device does not need any drivers installed, or extra programs to work with the WAF-NetCallerID plug-in.

I don't think mine makes any clicking sounds, but I have it installed in my wiring closet area next to our furnaces, so it would be hard to tell.

--David

Comment

glt, there may be a few bad NetCallerID boxes out there. I had one that only worked for 2 days. The folks at electronic discount sales glady replaced it though. Drop them an email if yours is not working. Mine makes no noise.

Here are some trouble shooting points:

If the box is receiving caller ID but the new message LED on top is staying lit, that means that it is not sending the message on to your PC.

If the box is receiving caller ID and the new message LED does not light (or stay lit for more than an instant) then it is passing the caller ID on to your PC, so if you're not seeing it, then you may not have the COM port setup correctly.

I have my serial port set to all defualt settings and it works fine.
      John
      Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
      Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
      HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
      Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Thanks guys,

The clicking stopped. I gave up on guessing if it was connected and installed the program that came with it.

That program would only recognize it on com 4 and on a particular serial port. So set ini to com 4 and all APPEARS fine. Still really don't know if HSP is getting the CID from the HS modem or the NETCID.

Yeah, it seems I temporarily forgot everything I knew about com ports - guess I'm spoiled by the auto detect routines in most programs.

Thanks again,

GLT

Comment

Working...
        X