Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

New user questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user questions

I've downloaded and installed the WAF NetCallerID. it looks promising so far. I have it setup and working, sort of. Two questions i have, at least for now

1) Is there a way to use the voice mail waiting as a trigger to a hs event? Right now i use email as a trigger to turn on voice mail indicators thruout the house but it's generally 10 minutes or so behind, depending on the timing of picking up email. it works but is a little klunky.

2) Reading thru the messages in this forum i'm gathering that it's possible to write the output some how to a call log. Having no scripting or any software experience at all i am a bit lost on how to do this, i'll keep reading and hoping something sinks in eventually, i'm more of a hardware kind of guy. this is my first outing with any sort of computer control so be kind

ok enough question for now, back to my reading and thanks
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Hi, Nightwalker, and welcome.

1.) When you refer to using voice mail waiting as a trigger, do you mean voice mail that has been received using HomeSeer Phone (HSP), or are you talking about the phone company's voice mail system? When voice mail is left at my house (HSP), I have e-mail sent to my cell phone. I receive the e-mail only a few seconds after the message was left. The routine is triggered with "Phone event: On message left Line 1" and the script that is called is notify_message_left (I hope I've included everything):
    Code:
      sub notify_message_left()

dim s_caller_name

' Get caller's first and last name from address book
     s_caller_name = get_address_name(hsp.CIDNumber(1))

' If no address book match, use CID name
     if s_caller_name = "" then
       s_caller_name = hsp.CIDName(1)
     end if 

s_caller_name = "Call from: " & s_caller_name & " " & hsp.CIDNumber(1) & " " & time()

hs.SendEmail "3015551212@mobile.att.net", "Otto", "Voicemail Message", s_caller_name

end sub

'***************************************************************************************
     '* get_address_name(phone_number): Matches phone number on address book entry. Returns 
     '*								 name (first + last).
     '***************************************************************************************
     function get_address_name(phone_number)

dim i_AdrCount
       dim i 
       dim objContact
       dim s_caller_name

phone_number = strip_non_numerics(phone_number)

i_AdrCount = hsp.ADRCount			' number of address book entries

for i = 1 to i_AdrCount			' look thru address book for number

set objContact = hsp.ADRGet(i)		' get the reference to the addrbk entry

if strip_non_numerics(objContact.home_phone) = phone_number or strip_non_numerics(objContact.business_phone) =	   phone_number or strip_non_numerics(objContact.cell_phone) = phone_number then
     	  s_caller_name = objContact.first & " " & objContact.last
     	  get_address_name = s_caller_name
     	  exit function
     	end if
       next 

get_address_name = ""

end function

'* Strip non-numerics from the passed phone number
     function strip_non_numerics(what_phone_number)

dim i 
       dim s_char
       dim s_new_num

s_new_num = ""

for i = 1 to len(what_phone_number)

s_char = mid(what_phone_number, i, 1)
     	if isnumeric(s_char) then
     	  s_new_num = s_new_num & s_char
     	end if

next

strip_non_numerics = s_new_num

end function
    2.) There are at least a couple of options for displaying the call log. If you poke around, you'll find some terrific scripts. I also highly recommend Jeff Farmer's phoneWeb plug-in, which greatly enhances HomeSeer's voice mail functionality.

Thank you for trying out WAF-NetCallerID,

--David

Comment

David:

I should have been more specific. I'm not using HS Phone. I use Vonage as my Telco service and it's been great. Working well with your script. When i get a voice mail message two things happen. 1) the netcaller id box shows there is voice mail waiting instantly and HS speaks that i have voice mail. 2) Vonage sends me an email with a WAV file of the message. It's that email that i'm currently using to trigger a HS event that turns on the message waiting indicators. just a simple x10 command. What i'd like to be able to do is use the NetcallerID and homeseer speaking that i have a message to somehow to trigger that same event instead of the email, it's much quicker. Is this possible? I hope i've made that a little more clear without rambling too too much

I'm reading posts on the call log and i'm pretty sure it's possible, i just have to figure out what i'm reading. it's all still looking a bit like a Foreign language to me.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

Comment

PP
          The email i get from Vonage with the .wav file attached is what i'm using as a trigger for the voice mail waiting event in HS now.

What i'd like to do is somehow figure out how i can use the signal that turns on the mesage waiting indicator within the NetCallerID box as the trigger instead.

It's not only vonage that sends this signal, anyone with any phone company based voice mail gets this signal sent as well, to turn on indicators in some phones. Most voice mail indicator signals these days are sent in the FSK standard as opposed to the stutter dial tone method.

Maybe what i'm looking for isn't even possible in software and i'll have to do a hardware solution (which i'm a lot better at). Considering this is my first foray into software control of automation i'm amazed i have anything working. I just figured that since the NetCallerID box recieves the signal to turn on it's indicator there must be a way to use the receipt of that signal somehow.

Thanks for your reply and thoughts you have would be appreciated.
          Marty
          ------

Comment

nightwalker,

Actually, there is a request pending to take action on the msg waiting message that the NetCallerID generates. My plate has just been too full most recently for me to add it. But, it will be in the next release. I'm not sure how I will implement it yet.

--David

Comment

David

Thanks, i did see your post about adding that feature, i just wasn't sure if you had gotten round to it yet or if it was still in the works. Now i know I'll look forward to your next update.
              Marty
              ------

Comment

Nightwalker.. I have vonage and am looking for the same thing that you are.. I would like to have the voicemail indicator that is generated from vonage to be detected by Homeseer to trigger an event.. If you get it working, please let me know..

Comment

KRK

Considering David's response to my question the WAF Callerid doesn't do that at the moment. He said there are requests for that very thing and he'll get to it as soon as he can. So i've taken a wait and see stance and moved on to other projects for now. The way Vonage works now is ok, my only problem is the email activation is a bit delayed. What it does do better than using the signal is let you know if someone calls while you're on the phone as opposed to after you get off. It happens to my wife all the time and she does like that part of it. Not being a call waiting fan a simple indicator that there is another call works better for us.
                  Marty
                  ------

Comment

Working...
                  X