This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed plug in but its not there

I had the waf-netcallerid installed a long time ago in another house. I built the home I am in now, and did not need the netcallerid, because the new wiring picked up all of the CID info fine.
    I learned that I could use it again if I wanted to hear my home speakers announce the call waiting CID. I added the netcallerid box again and re-installed the plug-in but I can't select the plug-in from the drop down list in the interface section...... it's not there! I've done this before problem free.

The only thing different is that I am using a 25 pin serial to 9 pin converter to hook the unit up to this new computer. Do I need to install software? Is the 25 pin to 9 pin converter the problem? How do I get Homeseer to see that I installed the plug-in and allow me to select it in my plug-ins?
    Help!

This plugin doesn't have a drop down list like other plugins. There are directions that were installed on how to place script in the startup and shutdown of homeseer as well as a sample script. You pretty much have to just make sure you have these scripts pointing to the correct com port that your NetCallerID is pluged into.

It has been a while since I set mine up though so I might not be remembering all that is needed.

Edit: Here are some settings that I looked up on my HS machine:

In my "Tools" "Startup Script"

sub main()
    i_ret=hs.RunEx("WAF-NetCallerID.vbh","open_ncid","")
    end sub

In my "Tools" "Shutdown Script"

sub main()
    i_ret=hs.RunEx("WAF-NetCallerID.vbh","close_ncid","")
    end sub

There is a sample script in the homeseer/scripts directory.
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

It's not a plugin at all it's just a script. The documentation clearly states how to install this and the dcoumentation in in the path C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\doc\waf_netcallerid_readme.doc
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Com port

I have all of the sripts in place like before. I think my issue is with the com port. I only have one 9 pin and one 25 pin on my motherboard. I have my Rain8Net sprinkler system hooked up to com port 1 (plugged into the 9 pin on the motherboard).
        I bought a 25 pin to 9 pin adaptor so i could plug the netcallerid into it. I am thinking that the comprt needs to recognize the netcaller id box before it gives me the ability to add the plug-in in the interface drop down.
        It's been so long since I used this, can you guys tell me (if you have netcallerid running now) if it shows up in your plugin drop down list?

Als, I assigned netcaller id to a com port 2 and I didn't get any errors. Wouldn't I get an error if it didn't like the com port I chose?

jbc

Comment

com port error

Here is my issue, the below message was in my Homeseer log;
          Failed to open com port 2....... Error is invalid port number.
          How do I assign a com port to NetCallerID?
          Would it work automatically if I connected the netcallerid box to a usb connection instead of going from a 25 pin to 9 pin converter?

jbc
          Last edited by ; July 10, 2005, 03:18 PM.

Comment

It's only going to work if you have a valid com port. Do you have a USB to com port converter? The other adapter will not work (oboviously).

Comment

yup Rupp

Im headed down to swap my converter and get a 9 pin to usb converter now.
              I'll post my results so I can spare someone else the misery if they try the same thing.

jbc

Comment

Com Port HELP!!!!!!!!

OK, my more expensive cable did not help.
                I can get the netcallerid to work if I assign it to com port 1 (where mcsSprinklers is assigned). Everything works on com port 1, I just cant assign any other com port. I have tried (mcsSprinklers also) com port 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 100, 222, 1002.... nothing works. I even tried to allow for the port running my router's web utility.
                I am thinking I need to do something with Windows XP Pro... but I cant find any help with the subject (or on the web).
                If I dissable my mcsSprinklers plug in or change the comport for mcsSprinklers, then Netcallerid works, but mcsSprinklers does not.
                How do I get another com port to open? It's a com port thing!

jbc

Comment

JBC,
                  You have already told us your PC only has one com port. So you are not going to be able to get any other serial port open without adding either a new serial port PCI card or a USB to serial adapter. I've never heard of anyone getting a 25 pin serial to 9 pin converter working so I would abandon that idea.

Comment

New cable

I now have the serial to USB cable. I took the other one back.

jbc

Comment

Got it

I bought a usb to serial cable (which needed software to assign a com port, which was not in the 'once returned' package), searched the internet for the software, got a com port assigned to it and WOOT WOOT, it works now.

jbc

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                        I've never heard of anyone getting a 25 pin serial to 9 pin converter working so I would abandon that idea.
                        Rupp, 25-to-9 serial adapters are a standard item and they work very well. I have never heard of anyone that could NOT get them to work.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneW
                          Rupp, 25-to-9 serial adapters are a standard item and they work very well. I have never heard of anyone that could NOT get them to work.
                          Well read this thread and it will be your first.

Comment

25 to 9 pin

It does work, but only if you are not using anything on com port 1. If something is using com port one how, Wayne, would you get another com port open for it? I only got the serial to usb converter to work after installing software that opened a port for it.
                            Wayne, if you know how please tell us because I couldn't find a way to open another port.

Comment

Hi, guys.

I'm late on this thread. I know that JBC has everything setup correctly, now, but I'm confused on the issue of the 25-pin port. I know it doesn't really matter now, but I'm curious. Are you saying that the 9-pin and 25-pin port are both considered COM1? That is to say, they're wired in parallel? If so, that's interesting.

Glad you got it working!

--David

Comment

Working...
                              X