This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wapseer and T630

There used to be a thread on this on the old forum....

I posted....

Does anyone know if there are any T630 specific problems over and above those with the T610 that gives problems with Wapseer?

I'm running WS 2.0.10 with HS 1.7.7, web server on port 80. My carrier is VirginMobile (really T-Mobile). I've tried the wapseerwml.ash and contenttype work arounds and turning off the web server authentication for the carier's wap gateway IPs. I can see the auth logon is the HS log but get the old T610 errorr/timeouts on the T630 itself.
    Thanks

Justin replied....

I honestly don't know of any off hand; I thought we had all the Sony Ericsson problems nailed with the last fix that was put into the HS application's web server.

I do know, however, that TMobile users' luck on WAP devices hasn't been the greatest.

Out of curiousity, what browser is that T630 loaded with? If you send the phone off to wapseer.carrotpatch.net/debug.asp , the "UA" string will tell you what you're running.

I posted...

The UA: string is...

SonyEricssonT630/R-401 Profile/MDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0 UP.L-ink/5.1.1.3

That was back in June. Since then the world has moved on! I have upgraded HS to the lastest build of 1.7 and I now have a braodband connection. I have now got the T630 to work but only if authentication is turned off in HS and I use the WapseerWML.ash page.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks.

I have now got the T630 to work but only if authentication is turned off in HS and I use the WapseerWML.ash page.
    You can set up HS to bypass authentication just for your phone, and it your case it sounds like you need to. Look at the Common Issues and Resolutions thread, under Logins and Authentication for details.

As for needing to use the WML version, you shouldn't. What errors do you see when trying to use the full XHTML version? My own T608 doesn't have any problems navigating the code, but SE is notorious for playing mix and match with the browsers they load.

It's worth noting that getting some Sony Ericsson phones working with WAPSeer actually required code changes to HomeSeer's internal web server. Since it uses a true IIS object as its web server, when HS 2 comes it will be far more compatible right off the bat.

Justin
    Last edited by JustinGould; November 26, 2004, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks Justin.
      No error messages when using the normal page, just times out.
      I know about the authentication work arounds, I had to use it
      to get the phone to work at all. But obviously its only a circumvention
      as it would allow anyone comming in via the same WAP Gateway.
      I'll do some detailed network traces etc. when I have time.
      I also intend to try it with a local WAP gateway.
      But all that's a bit time consuming so will take a while to do.
      I'll post the results back here when done.
      Thanks

Comment

Finally got fed up with the T630, so I moved up to a P910i.
        I have also moved networks to Vodafone.
        The normal wapseer.ash and the wapseerwml.ash pages both work
        but with the same authentication problem. IE. I have to turn it off.
        There is a slight difference, I do get propmpted for the logon but
        replying with the correct logon just gets the prompt again.
        Interesting message on the HS log though.
        My logon to HS is "richard", the log shows an attempt from user
        "richard" and from a user "wap". This is the user configured into the
        phone for the wap gateway logon!!

Comment

No error messages when using the normal page, just times out.
          I know about the authentication work arounds, I had to use it
          to get the phone to work at all. But obviously its only a circumvention
          as it would allow anyone comming in via the same WAP Gateway.
          When you authenticate to HS, the provided password is weakly encrypted in PAP format. Unlike "regular" desktop browsers like IE, some phone browsers append an extra byte to the PAP phrase. IIS, Apache and other heartier web servers handle the extra byte and decrypt the PAP phrase correctly. HomeSeer, however, assumes the extra byte is part of the PAP phrase, which ALWAYS makes the password invalid and rejected by HS. Thus, it's a limitation in the HS web server's code which will be removed in HS 2 (since HS 2 uses IIS code instead of its own).

There's another issue with authentication where the authentication request from HomeSeer is rendered with the "UnAuthorized" HTML page bundled along with the auth request packet. This has to be translated by the carrier gateway to WAP/XHTML and can cause timeouts in some situations as well.

My logon to HS is "richard", the log shows an attempt from user
          "richard" and from a user "wap". This is the user configured into the
          phone for the wap gateway logon!!
          That's odd. My guess would be that the phone or gateway is trying a default set of credentials after yours fail, quite possibly because of the extra byte PAP-phrasing issue I mentioned above. It's worth an Ethereal sniff for curiousity's sake, for sure.

If you need to use WAPSeer with the authentication workarounds and are concerned with security, you can obscure the location of WAPSeer:
          • Create a directory under HSInstallDir\html with an obscure name, like "8347938".
          • Move WAPSeer.ash into the directory, removing it from the HTML directory.
          • In HSINSTALLDIR\CONFIG\WAPSeer.ini, change WAPSeer.css to /WAPSeer.css (add a leading slash) in the APPHeader= entry under [HEADERS]
          • On your phone, reference WAPSeer.ash by its obscured name (hs.server.com/8347938/WAPSeer.ash in our example above).

Again, I'm strongly certain the auth issues will be worked out with HS 2, but in the mean time I hope this would help alleviate your concerns a bit.

Thanks,
          Justin
          Last edited by JustinGould; November 30, 2004, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X