This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any word when wapseer will work with nextel

Any word when Wapseer will work with Nextel I-730 ?

Tstat control via RCS serial plugin would be nice too..
    -christopher
    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Any word when Wapseer will work with Nextel I-730
    From what I can see on the Motorola developer site, you'll need to use WAPSeerWML.ASH with the i730. Its internal browser is only WAP 1.1 (it's UP/OpenWave 4.1, and in that family you need at least a 5.x browser to do WAP 2) capable, so it will not handle the XHTML output of WAPSeer.ASH. Also, make sure you try using a common port for the HS web server or outside firewall port (try 80 if at all possible). This configuration should work; each build of WAPSeer gets certified on an OpenWave 4.1 simulator pared with OpenWave's MAG 5.x developer gateway.

If that doesn't work, you might try checking the firmware version of the device and seeing the dealer for an update if it's not current. According to Nextel, the current firmware revision for the i730 is R0A.00.09.

Nextel has always been a compatibility challenge with WAPSeer. They tend to focus more on voice than data, so they run older WAP gateways (OpenWave MAG 4.x whereas most others run 5.x), release devices with inadequate browsers, etc. With the Sprint Nextel merger happening, I'm optimistic that this will improve over time though (Sprint's data support is among the best in the industry). For WAPSeer 3, I'm also toying with the idea of offering a MIDP (Java application on the phone) interface, which may help as well. MIDP support is going to depend on whether or not I can remove device and carrier dependant APIs from the mobile package, which is still an unknown.

Tstat control via RCS serial plugin would be nice too..
    Plug-in thermostat support will most definitely be in the WAPSeer 3.0 product (which will be a free upgrade to all current owners). In the interim, I recommend to customers that they set up events and use the Events screens in WS to control their plug-in controlled 'stats.

Justin

Comment

port 80... hmm that could be part of the problem, my main public website runs on port 80 of my Linux box, then my HS server sits behind it and I just port route requests for port 81 (my HS server) back to it.

I havent flashed my phone for a while so I might see if there is any upgrades for the firmware.. i use a MIDP applet and wrote a little VB app for GPS tracking.. as of now nextel is still the only carrier that allows the user full access tothe GPS functions..

as far as sprint, I love their data network, im hoping too that with the merger nextel will get up to a higher speed data... 28.8 compressed (19.2 real) just doesnt cut it.. although the phone with my toshiba pocket PC and HS web interface did make for a neatthing..just a little klugy, thats why im hoping to get wapseer up and running, I can do it all from 1 device.

Thermostat control is my MOST important thing. as far as events, wow ive got literally a hundred events in my HS(and im just getting started).. id hate to have to search through them all on my cell phone to find the one that would kick my heat up etc.
      -christopher
      -christopher
      PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

port 80... hmm that could be part of the problem, my main public website runs on port 80 of my Linux box
        Well, I know 81 works with Sprint, but I can't speak to any other carrier. There's been some success with having people use port 443. As you likely know, 443 is the SSL port, but some carriers will let you "sneak" non-SSL traffic through it. Very important for Nextel (I forgot to mention it) is trying to disable authentication for the phone. Nextel's MAG 4 hands HS an extra byte in the PAP challenge phrase and HS gets confused by it - this should be solved by the true IIS in HS 2 because IIS itself understands it.

as of now nextel is still the only carrier that allows the user full access tothe GPS functions..
        The thing being that most cellular GPS isn't true GPS, but AOA/TDOA (Angle of Arrival/Time Difference of Arrival) cell tower triangulation that can only get you within a few blocks at best. Still very handy tho. Sprint's also beginning to open up location based services, but the applet must be digitally signed to use the location API. One of my dream features would be if WAPSeer could figure out where in your house you're at via GPS and display that location for you automagically, but that would only work with true 1 meter GPS and involve the end-user knowing lat/long/altitude ranges for each location. Good to dream tho!

28.8 compressed (19.2 real) just doesnt cut it..
        Standard GSM/GPRS speeds. I'm not sure what Sprint is going to do with Nextel's GSM/GPRS network, but in the long run my guess is they'll switch those towers to CDMA 1900/1xRtt or 1xEV-DO and force Nextel folks to go through device replacements. 1xRtt is pretty nice - I get about 100Kbit/sec. 1xEV-DO (Evolution, Data Optimized) will begin deployment this year and be nicer, with up to 2.4MBit/sec over cellular. I got one of the first EV-DO ready devices for Christmas, so I'm eager to see them roll it. Verizon actually just finished their EV-DO deployment not too long ago.

Thermostat control is my MOST important thing.
        Honestly, I've reconsidered my "wait for WS3" approach to plug-in therms, and I'm going to go ahead and do it in the existing code. WS 3 is going to take a good while to write, HS 2 will take a good while for people to adopt, and given the volume of requests for this it's looking prudent to go ahead with it in the existing code. I have some time to work on it, so I'll keep everyone posted.

Justin

Comment

I'll try playing around with the ports a little, i will likely try to adopt HS2 fairly quickly.. for one im into HS now for just about a year and so I dont have a huge amount invested in it.. im only running maybe 15 or 20 scripts and such so now is a good time for me to learn to write them .net compliant and also be glad to run a full blown IIS.. I dont worry about IIS securty as my HS box sits behind a firewall anyway so that greatly limits the ports hackers can usefor an attack.

My nextel 730 actually has a true GPS receiver in it.. it doesnt use tower triangulation for it.. I believe its based off a garmin if I remember right, I view satellite info and all right on the phone with a little App I played around with, thats one of the reasons I like it.. although sinceit is real GPS, it has to be outdoors or near a window to work. andthe GPS surely reduces the battery life a LOT... standby goes from 48 hours down to maybe 10 with GPS enabled.. I wouldve probably switched carriers if others would allow direct access to the GPS functions.. i cant see paying $100 a month for a business locater service when wit hthe nextel I can do it on my own server for free...
          -christopher

Comment

Working...
          X