This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAPSeer 3 Beta - Looking Like This Week

NOTE: This thread is closed. Please use this thread for WAPSeer 3 issues discussion instead: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=108188 . Thanks!

As most of you know, WAPSeer 3 is the compiled plug-in upgrade (as opposed to a script, like WAPSeer 2) to WAPSeer, designed specifically for HS 2. I've been working on it for quite some time, and, and... wait for it...

Last night, I finally got WAPSeer 3 to the point where I'm comfortable with labeling it "beta 1" and releasing it for you guys to play around with. The only items remaining for test are license validation related. As soon as a couple minor details related to that are worked out, I will get WAPSeer 3 into the updater for HS 2. So, without further ado:

Features Included in Beta 1
    • Location View
    • Device Control (On/Off/Dim/Toggle from Location View)
    • Event View (By Event Group/All Events)
    • Event Control (Trigger/Enable/Disable)
    • QuickList (Devices w/toggle, Events w/trigger, improved interface)

Fixes from WS 2.1 to WS 3
    • Device toggling from location view works correctly. Devices now indicate the correct state after being toggled.
    • Dimming for Z-Wave devices is fixed.
    • A new URL architecture that removes &s and other special characters from the URL line resolves several browser compatibility issues.
    • All devices and events are now internally communicated and stored by their reference ID, eliminating problems with duplicated event names and device X10 codes.
    • A new RefreshGuard feature prevents WAPSeer from re-executing a command after the browser is closed, reopened to the same location and automatically refreshes.
    • WAPSeer 3 is much neater, consisting of only 2 files (HSPI_WS30.DLL and WAPSeer3.ini). No files are placed in the HTML directory.
    • Performance is greatly improved thanks to the binary code and tighter cache/header control.

In Development for Future Releases of WS 3 Beta
    • Plug-in thermostats. Already in alpha, and priority #1.
    • Log Viewer
    • Direct X10 capability, allowing entry of an X10 code and ON/OFF/DIM command for direct execution from your mobile device.
    • WMP plug-in support.
    • Revised HS Phone interface, which will allow high-speed devices with multimedia capabilities to play back HSP messages directly from a link.
    • Revised IR interface.

Items No Longer Supported
    • WML Mode. WS3 will be XHTML-only. Supporting WML basically doubles development time for any given feature. Users with non-XHTML phones will have to remain on the 2.1 code. At this point, there are very few devices in circulation that do not support XHTML. I simply cannot continue supporting the two codebases while improving WAPSeer any longer.
    • Compose Scenes. Users who wish to trigger Compose Scenes can set up event groups containing the scenes they wish to invoke. Compose devices will appear with Compose controls in Beta 1, but they will not function correctly. If there's a massive public outcry about this, I could be persuaded to change direction, but demand for the original feature was only driven by a couple people.

Feel free to comment and discuss. Your input is very important - this is your product!

Justin
    Last edited by JustinGould; October 27, 2005, 02:38 AM.

Hi there Jason,

I'm planning on trying the trial of WS on my HS 1.7 this evening (for use with Palm T3 via Bluetooth to use where ever I am thru-out the house).

Will the new WS 3 still run on HS 1.7 or is it limited to HS.2?

Comment

Originally posted by dhk
      Will the new WS 3 still run on HS 1.7 or is it limited to HS.2?
      Sorry, but WAPSeer 3 will only work with HS 2.0. It's written in .NET (like HS2), so there's no possible way to make it backward-compatible.

Justin

Comment

Any News?

Just checking on Version 3. Do you need beta testing help? Just let us know if we can help work out any kinks. Thanks.
        Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Originally posted by Madcodger
          Just checking on Version 3. Do you need beta testing help? Just let us know if we can help work out any kinks. Thanks.
          The WAPSeer 3 beta will be available to everyone. Trial users can try both out during their 30 day trial period. If you've purchased WAPSeer and entered the license, you'll find that WAPSeer 3 is already registered when you install it.

I sent WAPSeer 3 Beta 1 in to be included in the Updater last night, so I'm expecting it to appear there today.

Justin

Comment

WAPSeer3 upgrade procedure?

I had licensed WAPSeer 2.1 already installed on my HS2 system. Chose WAPSeer3 Beta from installer and restarted system. At first, the WAPSeer interface was disabled, but it enabled and started with no visible problem. The old link to WAPSeer.ash still remained which, of course, uses the old 2.1 script. I guess I expected a new link or the old one to be replaced. Am I missing something?

Also in interfaces, the interface name for WAPSeer is WAPSEER-20, but the filename is HSPI_WS30.DLL and version is 3.0.0.0.

Thanks in advance!
            Joe

Comment

Ditto

Ditto wolfdom's post...

Upgrade/Installation instructions please...

Comment

Created a new WAPSeer 3 issues discussion thread here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=674113 . The answers to your questions are there as well.

Justin

Comment

Thanks

Working fine...

Comment

I can only see Locations, Event Groups and Quicklist. Can that possibly be right? I don't see any change in functionality versus v 2.1. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Joe

Comment

I'll answer this, and then I'm going to close this thread. Please use the WAPSeer 3 Beta Discussion thread, located here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=108188

Originally posted by joeslat
                      I can only see Locations, Event Groups and Quicklist. Can that possibly be right? I don't see any change in functionality versus v 2.1. What am I doing wrong?
                      You're not doing anything wrong; that's all that's done right now. See the top post in this thread. Remember that this is Beta 1 and is hardly feature complete.

The UI from the mobile device end is more or less going to remain the same. I played with some different UI schemes, but the one that's been there all along is still the one that works best for compatibility and usability. The big changes are internal. For instance, it would have been impossible to do plug-in therms or support the Windows Media plug-in in WS2, due to limitations in the way HS 2 plug-ins work with older HS code. The new code can (and will) support those. There are many other things that the change to a plug-in will allow for. There were also some unsolvable problems with the 2.1 code, like devices in the Location view not showing correct status after being toggled, dimming not working properly, etc. Those are fixed in the new code.

Justin

Comment

Working...
                      X