Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Xap HS-Home / Xap office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xap HS-Home / Xap office

OK I have been reading this Forum and have a few questions.

If I had HS running at my home with Xap plugin and I wanted to read x10 devices at my office and display on my HS at home What do I need?

Do I install the Xap desktop client on a office computer with CM11a ? if so how do I point it to my HS IP to get the info into it? Is this possible with Xap?

don't laugh to much if I have this all wrong.

Thanks.
    HS2 Environment
    Zotac 1.83 GHz Quadcore
    HomeSeer Way2Call
    Netiom-Xap board
    opnode 1-wire 1.2.7
    Plug-In's
    WeatherXML 1.0.0.32
    Pwr Link USB 1.0.0.13
    mcsTemp V6.2.0.14
    mcsXap V3.0.0.0/3.0.0.20
    IM Connector 4.87.2.5
    Sip Connector 2.56.2.4
    RFXCOM 15.0.0.22
    Odroid X2
    Asterisk 11.5.1
    FreePBX 2.11.0.42
    WebMin 1.720
    Xap Switchboard by Mi4

There is no place Like 127.0.0.1

Good Question HomeTech. I though xAP was based on the udp protocol and if this is true then can it be used across networks?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Just trying to learn the xAP stuff myself. But for now, and I apoligize if you already realize this, you can access the HS server from your office by using the web interface.

Comment

Jom,
        He want to read devices at work and display them at home.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

I haven't heard of this being done before, but then I am not an expert on xAP

I would have thought that something would be possible assuming that the port xAP uses are left open on the routers at home and the office

Wouldn't work for me because our IT department has closed pretty much everything down

I think you would need the CM11/12 comnector at the office to see your x-10 devices. Then you would probaly need something that does not yet exist to send the data home.

I have posted your question to the xAP Developer group

Kevin

Comment

Rupp's correct would like to how should I say?....extend the reach of my Home HS computer to my office.

I know I can view my home via web but that's not what i am looking for.

I am looking to install some X10 devices at my office and if I can use the Xap desktop client? to interface to a local computer at the office and foward to Homeseer at home.

Is this possible and if so I just need some info to get me going on the set up.

Thanks ALL
            Happy Holidays
            HS2 Environment
            Zotac 1.83 GHz Quadcore
            HomeSeer Way2Call
            Netiom-Xap board
            opnode 1-wire 1.2.7
            Plug-In's
            WeatherXML 1.0.0.32
            Pwr Link USB 1.0.0.13
            mcsTemp V6.2.0.14
            mcsXap V3.0.0.0/3.0.0.20
            IM Connector 4.87.2.5
            Sip Connector 2.56.2.4
            RFXCOM 15.0.0.22
            Odroid X2
            Asterisk 11.5.1
            FreePBX 2.11.0.42
            WebMin 1.720
            Xap Switchboard by Mi4

Comment

HomeTech,
              Do you run HS on the office computer?
              -Rupp
              sigpic

Comment

Whoops. Should have read the original post more closely!

Comment

No Rupp just at Home.
                  HS2 Environment
                  Zotac 1.83 GHz Quadcore
                  HomeSeer Way2Call
                  Netiom-Xap board
                  opnode 1-wire 1.2.7
                  Plug-In's
                  WeatherXML 1.0.0.32
                  Pwr Link USB 1.0.0.13
                  mcsTemp V6.2.0.14
                  mcsXap V3.0.0.0/3.0.0.20
                  IM Connector 4.87.2.5
                  Sip Connector 2.56.2.4
                  RFXCOM 15.0.0.22
                  Odroid X2
                  Asterisk 11.5.1
                  FreePBX 2.11.0.42
                  WebMin 1.720
                  Xap Switchboard by Mi4

Comment

xAP is a broadcast protocol based on UDP so all xAP devices hear all traffic. For use on the internet this is inapproriate and also subject to the usual problems of routing and losses. What you need to so is set up a xAP router between your home and your work. This is a TCP connection that takes the xAP UDP traffic from one network, packages it within TCP and sends it point to point (error checked and in the right order) to the other network. This is only really useable with broadband as otherwise the heartbeat packets will cause a dialup connection to be permanently in place. The other necessity for such a xAP 'tunnel' is that doing it otherwise would leave your home open to remote control by anyone !

There is a xAP router application available on http://patrick.lidstone.net although documentation might be sparse and I think it requires cygwin. If you have difficulties getting it running post here and we'll try and help. You need a copy of the router running on each end of the link and obviously any firewalls must co-operate. What software platforms are you running at each end (WIndows ?)

Once you have this then the two networks xAP traffic will be merged allowing devices to be controlled just as if they were present locally. Yes you can not only control X10 devices this way but actually you can 'mirror' ANY HomeSeer device from a local copy of HomeSeer to a remote copy using BSC. Local changes would alter the remote end and vv in realtime.

Kevin

Comment

Arrghh ..Patricks site appears to be down - I will try and find another link to xAP Router and post it here . Otherwise if you PM me I will send you a copy directly (if I can find one on my local machine here).

Kevin

Comment

Thankyou CouchPotatoe for the relpy!
                        Yes I have windows 2K at the office and Home.

Luckly I have control of both Firewalls & Routers so I can do what ever I want.

I will give that a try. But question, will I need the Xap Hub desktop client at the office? and the xAP router application?

Also how many heartbeats are we talking dont want to suck up all the dsl bandwidth at the office and at home?
                        Or is that setable? or to small to worry about?
                        HS2 Environment
                        Zotac 1.83 GHz Quadcore
                        HomeSeer Way2Call
                        Netiom-Xap board
                        opnode 1-wire 1.2.7
                        Plug-In's
                        WeatherXML 1.0.0.32
                        Pwr Link USB 1.0.0.13
                        mcsTemp V6.2.0.14
                        mcsXap V3.0.0.0/3.0.0.20
                        IM Connector 4.87.2.5
                        Sip Connector 2.56.2.4
                        RFXCOM 15.0.0.22
                        Odroid X2
                        Asterisk 11.5.1
                        FreePBX 2.11.0.42
                        WebMin 1.720
                        Xap Switchboard by Mi4

Comment

I you have X10 devices as your office then you need an interface to the X10 world such as a CM11A at the office and the xap connector for this interface. There a few of this around You will also need an xap hub and the xap TCP Cache from Patrick's site.

There is an xpl to TCP bridge as well and it may be a little more mature. I have not used either of these. I have an xap/xpl hub that will receive xpl messages and shift them into xap format. xpl's and xap's X10 schema are one-for-one. I mapped the xpl remote schema used for the W800 security devices into xap bsc. This will allow an xpl implementation at the office and an xap one at home. Attached is a snapshot of the xap message viewer with the W800 traffic from xpl
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Michael, as you suggested

I have started to dive into the Xap apps. I downloaded desktop,weather,news, interface C11x & a hub program and will need alit time before I ask any more questions.

I have not been able to get to Patricks site so I can get the bridge Xap app its been down.

I do have the Weather working but the temps are in C instead of F for us US folks. O and the time is in 24hr not am/pm . I also have CNN news working as well. I download the X10 Xap app for the C11x but haven't set it up yet.

Let me play and I am sure to have many questions.

Thank you again
                            HS2 Environment
                            Zotac 1.83 GHz Quadcore
                            HomeSeer Way2Call
                            Netiom-Xap board
                            opnode 1-wire 1.2.7
                            Plug-In's
                            WeatherXML 1.0.0.32
                            Pwr Link USB 1.0.0.13
                            mcsTemp V6.2.0.14
                            mcsXap V3.0.0.0/3.0.0.20
                            IM Connector 4.87.2.5
                            Sip Connector 2.56.2.4
                            RFXCOM 15.0.0.22
                            Odroid X2
                            Asterisk 11.5.1
                            FreePBX 2.11.0.42
                            WebMin 1.720
                            Xap Switchboard by Mi4

Comment

Have fun, I tried to use xapDesktop with my domestic weather feeds and for the CID.Incomming schema, but did not have any luck with either one. I guess it only understands a British dialect. I also thought the little 2 or 3 line LCD window could be useful, but I did not see what schema had to be feed to have something show up in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X