X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xAPmcs1Wire under a french XP installation

hi guys,

<!--StartFragment -->

I have just downloaded the xAPmcs1Wire exe, and it works fine on my WIN2000 english version on my laptop.When I try it on my desktop which is under XP French version, first itdoes not go into the tray , but will stay as a small window with bothicons to be seen. There is no data to be seen into the IO window , andclicking on setup gives an runtime error '13' Type mismatch.Google says it could be related to my french version and regional settings(which I now changed to try ...)http://www.harrisdigitalsupport.com/dss/runtime.htmlIs there any possiblity that you would have a new version of it, thatsupports a french OS, or the VB source, that we could try to recompile ona french OS ?Thank you!</PRE>

Look in the \Data subfolder of where you installed it. There will be .txt file where any error messages will be written

Comment

Hi Michael,

thanks for your quick reply.

I checked the Data directory it created, but it's empty (before, and after the crash when I click on setup)
      Here is a screenshot of the application:

br,
      migube

Comment

Since it did go to the tray it did not complete initialization. I did not have anything going to the debug file until init was complete and that is why it is blank. I compiled with French settings and added trace into this \Data folder file as init progresses. See what it yields for you.
        Last edited by Michael McSharry; May 8, 2005, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Michael,

u're wonderful !

Form_load 90 0
          mcsXap1Wire Main Load 100 Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
          Form_load 60 0
          Form_load 80 0
          Form_load 90 0
          mcsXap1Wire Main Load 100 Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Installed and registered it, now no error 13 anymore, and it does go the tray ! :-)

Now, I just have to make it work ...
          a poll does not recognize the USB/Serial adapter.
          Filling in USB1 or COM1 seems then send config, it accepts it, then go to the tray, but then I can't open it again, have to kill it (task mgr).
          Seems to be to busy ...

I opened the xap messsage viewer and got 686 messages in 30 secondes ... seems a lot to me
          The messages say: Timer 1 Line 60 Subscript out of range ... than 90 130 100 ... and other things, attached a recorded session

any idea ?

thx & good n8 !
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ; May 9, 2005, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I'll try the same sequence on the laptop to see what it says later today.

a+
            migube

Comment

The messages relate to no 1-wire drivers. There were also one for Timer 1 related to no com port selected. I changed to protect the timer errors. Are you certain you have the 1-wire drivers on this PC. I posted the changes in the mcsPlugins\xAP forum.

Comment

Hi Michael, and again thx for the support!

I indeed installed a different driver on the laptop (older one) now that you remind me
                The one on my XP machine is:
                Version 4.00 beta 4 which supports USB DS9490, and it works with the java onewire viewer.

Ok found the new one

Here are the result:
                xap-hbeat
                {
                v=12
                hop=1
                uid=FF000500
                class=xap-hbeat.alive
                source=mcs.OneWire.THUNDERBIRD
                interval=60
                port=32768
                }
                xap-header
                {
                v=12
                hop=1
                uid=FF000500
                class=Homeseer.Event
                }
                Event.Log
                {
                time=11/05/2005 18:40:24
                type=mcsXap1Wire
                data=Using xAP port 32768
                }
                xap-header
                {
                v=12
                hop=1
                uid=FF000500
                class=Homeseer.Event
                }
                Event.Log
                {
                time=11/05/2005 18:40:24
                type=mcsXap1Wire
                data=SetIniValue Line 460 ActiveX component can't create object
                }
                xap-header
                {
                v=12
                hop=1
                uid=FF000500
                class=Homeseer.Event
                }
                Event.Log
                {
                time=11/05/2005 18:40:25
                type=mcsXap1WireDebug
                data=SetAdapterPort=COM1 Line 120 Object variable or With block variable not set
                }
                xap-header
                {
                v=12
                hop=1
                uid=FF000500
                class=Homeseer.Event
                }
                Event.Log
                {
                time=11/05/2005 18:40:27
                type=mcsXap1WireDebug
                data=SetAdapterPort=COM1 Line 120 Object variable or With block variable not set
                }
                xap-header
                {
                v=12
                hop=1
                uid=FF000500
                class=Homeseer.Event
                }
                Event.Log
                {
                time=11/05/2005 18:40:28
                type=mcsXap1WireDebug
                }

thx Michael.

Comment

The problem is with

SetIniValue Line 460 ActiveX component can't create object

which is generated when the software tries to connect to the drivers that are implemented in microsoft java.

Microsoft was forced via court ruling to remove the Microsoft Java VM from XP and you are likely running the Sun Java VM. There is no official place to obtain the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine, but there are bootleg versions that were obtained from the early XP releases. When I was running XP I did find a base version and then an upgrade to fix bugs that could be installed on top of the base. I do not have any particular links to obtain it, but I know it is out there.

Comment

Ok ... I could have thought it was something like this I read somewhere that I needed the MS java stuff, but when I saw the onewire java was working, I forgot about it..
                    I do not like to have to install MS thing, as they describe: The MSJVM will reach its end of life on December 31, 2007.
                    I hate MS for this, SUN invented Java, they should have stayed away from it from the beginning ... anyway ...

Dallas semiconductor has some explanation about where to find it, and an installation guide, but this one is not working.

Under XP SP2, it seems not to be easy to install it (french) ... but as I want to test it, I will test it :-p

I hope that Dallas semi-conductor will find a solution to this, so we can stick to Sun's Java ...

So now I can test
                    Many thx!

ps: strange, I can not 'kill' xapmcs1Wire.exe under task mgr when it "crashes" ... it just says not responding, and I can try to kill it everytime, no succes (unless a reboot...)
                    Last edited by ; May 11, 2005, 02:33 PM.

Comment

There is another member of this board who is a DallasSemi employee and he indicated that they intentionally use the MS JVM for techical reasons and the Sun JVM does not provide the capability they need/want.

If Microsoft, or any company for that matter, did not do R&D and improve their products then they would soon be out of business. It the courts compensated Sun, why didn't they also compensate all companies that used the MS JVM to give them the money needed to redevelop their products?

Comment

Hi Michael,

it's working now and I get the output on the Homeseer HTML (even for 2 instances of your nice program (one usb1 one with com1)

I will post my other questions on separate posts!
                        thx!

Comment

Working...
                        X