This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving XP HS2 to Win8

Michael, I wanted to touch base with you to get your recommendations on how best to move my mcs installed base from my old XP machine to a relatively new Win8.1 machine. HS2 is up and running on the new machine and I have installed (but disabled) both mcsSprinklers and mcsTemperature by way of the HS2 Updater. I have copied the respective ini's and mdb's over (after deleting and compressing some of the data in some of the tables), but nothing else.

In addition to those programs however I have:
    xapmcsHUB
    mcsXap
    xapmcsOneWire

I assume the correct place to download the latest HS2 versions of the Xap setup files is:
    http://mcssprinklers.com/xapXap.htm

For background, and for whatever reason since it has been so long I can't remember, I use mcsTemperature for my Temp08/temp sensors and Xap 1Wire for mostly Hobby Boards Temp, humidity and a relay that controls HVAC dampers based on info from my RCS thermostat.

What order, if any, should I install the Xap programs and are there any other files I should be sure an copy over from my old system?

Any other guidance or suggestions for least impact transition of programs mentioned above?

In advance, thanks much for your time and guidance.
    Gary

I should have mentioned...

I did see this post, where the following dependency's are required:
    NET version dependencies:
    The .NET framework 2.0 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=19
    The .NET J# 2.0 redistributable http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=4712
    The 1-wire drivers http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibu...ad_drivers.cfm

I assume all those would precede the installation of any of the xap programs?

Thanks
    Gary

Comment

The current version of xAP plugin for Homeseer HS2 is linked at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=119121 which I think is the same as you have shown. It does not have any dependencies beyond those already used by HS2.

Those associated with J# and 1Wire are for the .NET version of xapmcs1wire and you will want those. The order of install makes no difference, but everything is needed before you will have success running.

I put together an entire suite of xAP applications and tried to get them into the updater but have not had success. For 1-wire the updater file for HS3 is at http://mcsSprinklers.com/xapmcs1Wire_3_0_6_4_HS3.zip You can extract the contents and use with any version of HS or without HS. The structure I recommend is HS2\xap\xapmcs1Wire, HS2\xap\xapmcsHub. mcsXap plugin will go in HS2. If you use Homeseer 2 or some other folder for HS2 then continue to use it and put xAP folder under it. For the hub http://mcsSprinklers.com/xapmcsHub_1_2_0_4_HS3.zip

mcsTemperature and xapmcs1Wire both support the DS9097U/DS9490D. Are there things that mcsTemperature does not provide that you get with xapmcs1wire?

mcsTemperature contains a reference to a database. If it is Access then you will want to move it to the equivalent location under W8. Your mcsTemperature setup page will tell you the path where it is located. It is also contained in Config\mcsTemperature.ini.
      Last edited by Michael McSharry; January 30, 2015, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks much Michael, this is very helpful.

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
        The structure I recommend is HS2\xap\xapmcs1Wire, HS2\xap\xapmcsHub. mcsXap plugin will go in HS2. If you use Homeseer 2 or some other folder for HS2 then continue to use it and put xAP folder under it. For the hub xapmcsHub_1_2_0_4_HS3.zip
        In my case, on the new machine:
        C:\Homeseer_HS2Pro\...

Old XP machine was indeed:
        C:\Program Files\Homeseer 2\...

I assume the 1Wire/Xap setups will allow me to specify the Homeseer folders/sub-folders.

Are there things that mcsTemperature does not provide that you get with xapmcs1wire?
        Good question, I really don't know. I currently use 1Wire for the Hobby Boards sensors because, at the time, they were distributed all around the house, garage and attic and I perceived it easier to just run Cat6 from one to another. It would be nice to eliminate the 1Wire/Xap family and just use mcsTemperature, as long as I don't have to buy new sensors and run more Cat6. In the past, I had assumed mcsTemperature does not support the 1Wire topology?

Thanks
        Gary

Comment

mcsTemperature does not use .NET and depends upon older DallasSemiconductor drivers which includes the use of Microsoft Java VM. That JVM was last available in early versions of XP so only available via underground. It also does not support the 1wire hub, but for standard topology it does the same as xapmcs1wire.

The xap apps are independent of HS so folder structure does not matter as long as there is a structure. Often folks just dump everything into the HS folder and that will not work because some applications share common filenames so overwrite will occur. With the structure setup the browser pages will have links at the top to easily navigate between xap apps or wherever you want to hyperlink.

Comment

mcsTemperature does not use .NET and depends upon older DallasSemiconductor drivers which includes the use of Microsoft Java VM. That JVM was last available in early versions of XP so only available via underground. It also does not support the 1wire hub, but for standard topology it does the same as xapmcs1wire.
            Very interesting. Goes to show how much I either didn't know, or have forgotten, about my installed base. So, perhaps I should look at eliminating mcsTemperature since it uses the older technology. I think it services only the Temp08. I believe you mentioned that 1Wire can also service the Temp08? That would then mean I would not have to install either the Dallas drivers nor the MS JVM, just the somewhat old .NET 2.0, right? I am guessing that since you listed .NET 2.0, that even though I have all the latest versions of .NET installed, that .NET 2.0 is still required.

Thanks again, for all your support.
            Gary

Comment

HS2 uses .NET 2 so it is needed anyway. mcsTemperature only needs JVM if you are using DS9097U or DS9490D interface. If it is only Temp08 then nothing special other than perhaps some windows COM components that had been standard but likely do not come by default with W8. The Temp08 could also be interfaced with xapmcsTemp0x so you would have 1-wire data coming from two xAP sources.

If you are doing charting with mcsTemperature then you likely will want to retain it. I did capture the free COM version of ChartDirector and it could be loaded onto W8 to support mcsTemperature charting.

Comment

HS2 uses .NET 2 so it is needed anyway.
                Good to know. I wont bother to install it again. It seems, the .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0 (under Win8) now.

mcsTemperature only needs JVM if you are using DS9097U or DS9490D interface.
                All of my 1Wire goes through the Hobby Boards Hub so I don't use any of the DS devices, although I think I have one or two around somewhere. In any case I don't use any now.

If it is only Temp08 then nothing special other than perhaps some windows COM components that had been standard but likely do not come by default with W8.
                I may give it a try then to see if just moving mcsTemperature config/dB will work without installing anything else. If not then perhaps ...\/

The Temp08 could also be interfaced with xapmcsTemp0x so you would have 1-wire data coming from two xAP sources.
                This sounds like the best fall back plan if mcsTemperature needs more stuff. I assume the best place to download is from:
                http://mcssprinklers.com/xapXap.htm

If you are doing charting with mcsTemperature then you likely will want to retain it. I did capture the free COM version of ChartDirector and it could be loaded onto W8 to support mcsTemperature charting.
                I do have ChartDirector installed on my old XP system but I don't really use it anymore. So at this time, I probably won't spend time looking into it's transition.

Thanks again Michael for your great support, you've been a BIG help.

Gary

Comment

I put together an entire suite of xAP applications and tried to get them into the updater but have not had success. For 1-wire the updater file for HS3 is at xapmcs1Wire_3_0_6_4_HS3.zip You can extract the contents and use with any version of HS or without HS. The structure I recommend is HS2\xap\xapmcs1Wire, HS2\xap\xapmcsHub. mcsXap plugin will go in HS2. If you use Homeseer 2 or some other folder for HS2 then continue to use it and put xAP folder under it. For the hub xapmcsHub_1_2_0_4_HS3.zip
                  Michael, perhaps it is just me, but for some reason the links to the two ...HS3.zip files do not work for me. Can you verify please?

Thanks
                  Gary

Comment

You can get xapmcsTemp0x from the link you showed. I updated the link on the others. I forgot the http://mcsSprinklers.com in the URL

Comment

You can get xapmcsTemp0x from the link you showed. I updated the link on the others. I forgot the http://mcsSprinklers.com in the URL
                      Michael, sorry to be a PIA but I still get a 404 on the:
                      http://mcsSprinklers.com/xapmcs1Wire_3_0_6_4_HS3.zip

The xapHub downloaded fine. I even tried.
                      http://mcsSprinklers.com/xapmcsOneWire_3_0_6_4_HS3.zip

No joy. Sorry.

Gary

Comment

Try again

Comment

Try again

Got it, thanks.
                          Gary

Comment

XAP Plug-in

Well I think I got the directories set up as you recommended above. However, I must have missed a step or dependency somewhere. When I enabled mcsxap in the HS2 interface setup, it started with:

1/31/2015 03:45:44 PM ~!~mcsXap~!~Version 2.5.81 Registered with Homeseer
                            1/31/2015 03:45:44 PM ~!~Plug-In~!~Initializing Plug-in: mcsXap
                            1/31/2015 03:45:44 PM ~!~mcsXap~!~GetPluginTriggers
                            1/31/2015 03:45:44 PM ~!~mcsXap~!~ExecuteCommand CREATE TABLE xAPBSC ([ID] IDENTITY(1,1), Source VARCHAR (255) NULL , DC VARCHAR (255) NULL , Reject INT NULL , Accept INT NULL , UID VARCHAR (255) NULL , Controllable INT NULL , DetectedDate TEXT NULL , MaxLevel VARCHAR (255) NULL ) Line 0 Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
                            1/31/2015 03:45:44 PM ~!~mcsXap~!~ExecuteCommand CREATE TABLE xAP_OTHER ([ID] IDENTITY(1,1), Source VARCHAR (255) NULL , DC VARCHAR (255) NULL , Reject INT NULL , Accept INT NULL , UID VARCHAR (255) NULL , Controllable INT NULL , DetectedDate TEXT NULL , MaxLevel VARCHAR (255) NULL ) Line 0 Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
                            1/31/2015 03:45:44 PM ~!~mcsXap~!~ExecuteCommand CREATE TABLE xAPBSC_SEND ([ID] IDENTITY(1,1), Source VARCHAR (255) NULL , DC VARCHAR (255) NULL , Reject INT NULL , Accept INT NULL , UID VARCHAR (255) NULL , Controllable INT NULL , DetectedDate TEXT NULL , MaxLevel VARCHAR (255) NULL ) Line 0 Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
                            1/31/2015 03:45:44 PM ~!~mcsXap~!~ExecuteCommand INSERT INTO XAPBSC VALUES(1,"mcs.onewire.slvrs22g:xapmcs1wire_.0600000061754626 .temperature","",1,0,"21",0,"7/27/2006 09:37:57 AM","") Line 0 Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Seems to be looking for SQL Lite, which I assume is standard for HS3 but would need to be installed for HS2, right? Any way to specify MS Access instead?

That last line above was repeated for every device in my HS2 dB. Also the slvrs22g is my old XP machine name, which missed changing in the new machines mcsXapDevices.ini file. If I do that, will it still those HS2 devices or expect to recreate all new anyway?

Thanks
                            Gary

Comment

SQLite it the only one. The attached is the .NET .dll that you will also need in the HS folder. You will need to download sqlite3. If you have an older version of mcsXap that was working for you then you can continue to use it under W8 and Access. Older versions are on mcsSprinkers.com.

mcsXap creates devices based upon the source address of the xAP device. The address is formed by the xAP application by using the computer name as the third element. If you have HS/mcsXap setup to accept devices from an old computer and you want to have the same devices from a new computer then you will need to edit the source of the device in the database while HS/mcsXap is not running.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X