This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocelot TW523 and HS CM11A

I currently use HS with a CM-11A for X-10 and haven't been using the Ocelot to send/receive X-10 and overall things have been working fine.

I'd like to send and receive X-10 for some code that is running on the Ocelot separate from HS, but I'd still like to continue to use the CM-11A with HS.

With both plugged in and connected, I receive duplicate X-10 commands in the HS log. I'm sure it's receiving one via the CM-11A and another copy of the same one via the Ocelot.

I'm using the ADIOcelot plugin and am wondering if there is a way to keep it from relaying received X-10 codes to HS, especially since it is not listed as my X-10 interface.

I've used that configuration, HS using CM11A for x10 while also connected to an ocelot that is also sending and receiving x10, for several years. I can't remember that I've ever had duplicate log entries from it.

I probably would first try removing all the x10 interfaces restart HS then add back the cm11a. You might also check that "process x10 transmit from ocelot" isn't checked on the adiocelot setup. (Though I just looked at mine and it's checked so that shouldn't cause it).

For reference I'm running HS 1.7.7 and Adiocelot 1.9.7.

jim

Comment

YoYo,
      It should work since you can only have one X10 interface in HS at a time. This way I believe it would only listen for the chosen interface.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I use an Ocelot/TW523 combination to send X-10 commands independent of Homeseer. I also have the Homeseer/CM11a interface.

When the Ocelot sends X-10 commands they do show up in Homeseer's log. Its is nice that this happens as I can check to see if the appropriate Ocelot commands fired at their correct times.
        --------------------------------------------------
        **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

I'm not sure I'm following; I thought you could only have one X-10 interface to HS, and the one I've specified is the CM-11A. How would I remove the Ocelot?

Do you mean from the drop list?

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin
            When the Ocelot sends X-10 commands they do show up in Homeseer's log. Its is nice that this happens as I can check to see if the appropriate Ocelot commands fired at their correct times.
            And that's exactly what I want to happen as well. In my case however, I'm seeing exactly 2 entries for every X-10 command received.

If I simply unplug the TW-523, I'm back to one. It would appear that even though I've not specified the Ocelot as my X-10 interface, it's received X-10 is still being passed to HS.

I do know that HS is transmitting through the CM-11A, though....

Comment

Why?

I frequently see configuration posts from folks who are using the CM-11A together with the Ocelot/TW-523. Why are you doing this? If you specify the Ocelot as your X10 interface, it does a perfectly fine job of sending and transmitting X10 and it doesn't interfere with the Ocelot's ability to do the same. Are you using the CM-11A's ability to store programming in case your HS machine is down? If so, you could easily transfer those functions to the Ocelot, and you'd free up a serial port. Having two devices to transmit X10 also increases the possibility of collisions on the line. If you send everything through the Ocelot/TW-523, it will queue up all the X10 commands from both HS and CMAX and transmit them FIFO.

Comment

Originally posted by BorisB
                I frequently see configuration posts from folks who are using the CM-11A together with the Ocelot/TW-523. Why are you doing this? If you specify the Ocelot as your X10 interface, it does a perfectly fine job of sending and transmitting X10 and it doesn't interfere with the Ocelot's ability to do the same. Are you using the CM-11A's ability to store programming in case your HS machine is down? If so, you could easily transfer those functions to the Ocelot, and you'd free up a serial port. Having two devices to transmit X10 also increases the possibility of collisions on the line. If you send everything through the Ocelot/TW-523, it will queue up all the X10 commands from both HS and CMAX and transmit them FIFO.
                That's a valid question. I think the main reason is that the CM-11 has collision detection and avoidance and is capable of receiving the Levition extended commands, whereas the TW-523 is not.

Comment

In my case the typical scenario of motion sensor to PC to light needs to be done as quick as possible so the light comes on before the person leaves the area. The ocelot adds a second or more delay because of the serial communications that are a shared resource with SECU, Variables, and IR and the one-second cycle interval of the ocelot.

I cannot speak for how the ocelot handles collisions, but the CM11A is very graceful about it. The empirical evidence shows the CM11A is able to delay transmission until the powerline is not busy so a command delivered simultaneously to two CM11A's will appear on the powerline as one long command set. Per the x10 spec each command from the CM11A is sent twice, so with 2 CM11As the command actually gets sent four times.

While additional assurance is obtained with the command sent four times, the downside is with back-to-back commands. In this case the second one will likely be delayed because the powerline bandwidth is being utilized by the second controller to send its rendition of the first command. It could also be the case that the first controller retains control of the powerline until its command buffer is emptied and in this case there is actually no delay. I suspect it is probabalistic as to which way it occurs.

With the ADIOcelot plugin it is possible to configure so that a Homeseer X10 transmission will be reported back to Homeseer. I'm guessing that ocelot will also provide the feedback when it is sending its own X10, but I'm not certain of this. The reception of a X10 message event will be communicated from the ocelot to the plugin.

The plugin to Homeseer reporting of X10 transmit and receive only occurs if the plugin has been configured as the X10 interface to Homeseer. I did see in the ADIOcelot code where the X10 notification could be enabled after transitioning between CMAX and back. I'll update the ADIOcelot plugin to elliminate this possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry
                    I did see in the ADIOcelot code where the X10 notification could be enabled after transitioning between CMAX and back. I'll update the ADIOcelot plugin to elliminate this possibility.
                    Hmmm. In that case, maybe I just need to restart HomeSeer.... I try it and see what happens....

Thanks,
                    -Brian

Comment

Michael,

That must be it! I restarted HS and sent some X-10 commands via a mini controller, and no more duplicate entries in the log.

Thanks for the tip,

-Brian

Comment

is there a reason to not use ocelot as X10?

when I first started HA a year ago I got a CM11a and then put it away when I was told to go with an ocelot for various tasks.. I have a PSC05 connected to my ocelot for X10 and of course use the Ocelot for many other tasks as well... should I not be doing this? should I dust off the CM11a and go back to using it? does it have a stronger signal than a psc05? I have one room in my new house with a little trouble getting signals so i had to install a boosterlinc.. which i think looks ugly on the wall and would love to get rid of it..
                        -Christopher
                        PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Chris,
                          I believe the only reason not to use the Ocelot PSC05 combination is the PSC05 doesn't do extended X10 codes for the fancier switches. I could be wrong but I believe this is true.
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                          X