This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest headache

I've had an Ocelot lying around here for a long time and just now decided to try and use it.
    With nineteen pages of threads on the subject I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I did apparently learn a button for a nearby TV, and the Ocelot seems to be transmitting that code, but the TV doesn't respond.
    Could someone summerize for me just how to get started using the Ocelot for IR control of devices.
    1. Which plugin (are they both .NET?)
    2. How to learn and retransmit successfully (Yes, I have an emitter connected apparently transmitting)
    3. Am I wasting my time or is there a better/simpler interface available?

Once I get the TV to turn On/Off just once I can probably deal with the rest.
    Thanks.
    Thanks.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

The device and zone data files were changed between HS1 and HS2. ADIOcelot is able to sync the old format to the CMAX system project file, but no attempt made to work with the HS2 IR format files. I think you are better off with the HST Ocelot plugin if you are staring to work with IR.

Comment

I suspected as much and am currently trying that plugin with the same level of success.

Comment

OK I'm underway.
        Apparantly the Ocelot needs some sort of program running in order to process IR.

Comment

The IR and X10 of the ocelot have no dependency on an ocelot program. The variables do not make sense other than with a CMAX program.

On of the reasons I did ADIOcelot was the desire to do IR recognition and event notification back to HS. This mode was not supported with the HS plugin. Most people only want IR transmission and that is supported by the HS plugin and does not require any program in the ocelot.

Comment

Well, it was either that (documented on the ADI forum) or the fact I was trying to use location '0'. I decided to start at '1' at that point as well, and then later read in the Ocelot manual that '0' is reserved for factory use. Nonetheless, all is well now.
            Thanks.

Now if I can just remember where I put that Pyramid transmitter...

Comment

..now it's a migraine

This was supposed to be such a simple project.
              - I have the Ocelot learning and retransmitting IR.
              - I'd thought I might use the Powermids to get the IR out of the control room to the rest of the house, but this has turned out to be not so simple a task. It's possible I have a bad Powermid transmitter. The transmitter is indicating it's receiving the IR, as strongly from the emitter connected to the Ocelot as it is from an original remote. The receiver(s) however are getting a very weak signal if the LED is any indication... it blinks dimly if the receiver is within a few feet of the Transmitter, but not at all in another room perhaps 30 feet away. One of the receivers I've tried is brand new out of the box today so I think they're OK. The transmitter is several years old but hasn't been used a lot. I remember these working quite well in the past.
              My question is, has anyone any experience with these things getting weak or failing over time?
              Another possibility is of course, interference. There are a lot of various RF devices operating here, all getting along well so far... 5.8Ghz phone, Wi-Fi, Oregon sensors, X10 DS-10s and motion sensors, etc. Even so, I would think I should have better performance at close range with the Powermid Tx/Rx pairs.

Comment

Wadenut,

I've had situations where a Powermid wouldn't work at all. I'm not sure why, but I've had pieces of equipment that seem to operate in a range that these things don't include. There are other brands out there, but I don't know if they're any better / different. One idea for testing might be to temporarily move the equipment you're trying to control beside the Ocelot, and see if it will work without the Powermids, if I understand the situation correctly.

Joe
                Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

This began as a plugin issue but quickly moved to the hardware.
                  I believe I've discovered the problem.
                  - The Ocelot works fine if I stick the emitter to the TV's IR receiver.
                  - The remotes work fine through the Powermids.
                  I did go out and buy another set of extenders from Radio Shack. Same results. Fortunately these seem to be compatble with the Powermids, so I will use them eventually.
                  In desperation I dug out my old 1623 IRLinc and installed that plugin. It has a built in IR blaster which works just fine through the Powermids. However, if I plug an emitter into it and try to send through the extenders, no go.
                  So, it looks as if the Buffalo emitters I bought are the problem... Too weak. The signal transmitted by the powermids seems to be proportional in amplitude to the IR received. It would have been nice if they'd amplify. I went so far as to drill a hole in the Powermid xmtr case and stick the emitter over it directly in front of the sensor. Same results overall.
                  Now my options are.
                  1. Stick with the 1623 (not preferred).
                  2. Build a blaster circuit for the Ocelot and go from there.
                  3. Wire the house for IR (last resort) and use the Secu16IR (build more blasters).

Comment

The powermind is best rated IR extender. I also had a Jensen and can confirm the powermind is superior. In my setup I ran the Ocelot IR output to a xantech amp/distribution block and then one of the xantech outputs I stuck on the window of the powermind. I have used a mixture of brands of emitters and have found no difference in effectiveness. I do like the blinking style for easy visual feedback.

Comment

Working...
                    X