This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocelot questions

I'm thinking about getting an Ocelot for IR control. I'll put the Ocelot in the wiring closet with my Computer. I want to then run the IR Emitter to the other rooms to control satellite receivers.

I currently have two Cat 5s to each room. 1 for Computer Network. The second one uses two pairs for telephone. I was planning on using the 4th pair for an in wall speaker.

So can I use one of the leftover pairs for IR?
    If so, how do I connect the wire into the Ocelot?

Jeff Farmer

--
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Jeff,

Some thoughts. You will defintely need some sort of blaster. The Ocelot is known for its anemic IR output.

For a homebuilt solution Guy Lavoie wrote up a design for a blaster for the Ocelot http://www.hometoys.com/resources.htm. A commercial solution would be a Buffalo IR-100 from Smarthome (and probably others) or a pair of Powermids from Radio Shack or x10. The latter two I have used, and a pair of cat5 works fine for the Buffalo and the Powermid is wireless.

The only drawback to Guy's solution would be if your satellite receiver is hidden in a closet where you may want local control with a hand held remote and you would need some sort of local IR receiver that would be wired into your IR "distibution system."

You also said satellite receivers plural. What type of Satellite system? Dish, DirecTV or BUD. Are the manufacturers of the two receivers the same? I am fairly certain that there are at least 4 different device code sets for Dish that use common codes for all STB manufacturers so you could use a common system and have only the desired Sat Receiver respond.

For DirecTV, I think RCA and Sony only have one device code each so if both receivers are the same manufacturer then you might have to devise some method like a relay way to direct the signal only to the desired receiver.

Finally, If you are getting an Ocelot I have a fairly extensive device library based on Rob Crowe's excellent work with figuring out universal remotes. This library will produce the necessary inputs for GenIRDB, Barry Gordron's program that can generate IR files readable by Ocelot without learning.

There are many IR commands that are not on the OEM remotes that are very useful in Home Automation like discrete ON, OFF, A/V inputs, antennas and you could probably control all of your equipment. Let me know if you go this route and I can probably save you a lot of time.

Jon

Comment

Yes, I have 4 Dish Network receivers. Three are DishPlayers and One is a model 5000. I'm planning on getting a dual tuner model with 100 hours of record time when it starts shipping this spring. They are all in different rooms so I figured eventually I'd need to add a SECU-16IR.
      I also have three tvs that are the same brand so I will need zones.

Once I get things hooked up I will definately need the discrete on offs for the electronics that I have.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Farmer

--
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Jeff,

Like you, I have three different entertainment clusters and some common equipment that takes some workarounds. Although I have DirecTV, I have confirmed that there are definitely 4 different codes for Dish. So the other considerations would be more driven by what and how you want to control the other devices and economics. If the IR sensors on the TV's and A/V equipment are all exposed then it can be done with one blaster in each location.

You might also consider the several ~$30 One-For-All remotes that have a 6-pin plug in the battery compartment known as JP-1 that can be interfaced to the parallel port of a PC with a simple cable and freeware called IR.exe. With that interface you can program just about any function that you need to just about any button.

IR.exe can create pretty extensive macros that can easily be done when connected to the PC and there is a very active hacking group that continues to do astounding things with the OFA remotes. OFA remotes can easily be programmed with discrete codes even without the cable. I have an OFA remote in each location for local control and they are great because you can make the buttons on all remotes work the same way (for a high WAF) in all locations despite using variety of different equipment.

I do have an Ocelot and use it since I had already written all the scripts but had the capabilities of the OFA remotes been available three years ago I could probably do everything that I need with one of them in each location. So even if you ultimately want to go with an Ocelot you might want to try an OFA remote to see how close you can get to what you need.

For my setup with Ocelot, I use a SECU16 and some $3 Radio Shack DPDT relays to control the output to selected multiple locations rather than a SECU16IR. My reason is that almost all my AV equipment is hidden in closets and cabinets so I need a way to transmit local control (Vol, Channel change, etc). I think that it is too slow trying to use x10 or the IR match in the Ocelot. However, I do know that others have made this work to their satisfaction.

If you want any more infromation about the OFA remotes look at Rob Crowe's unofficial website www.hifi-remote.com that has links to the JP1 group.(Update: That site is down right now but should be back up in a day or so -- if you need any info or links just email)

If I can provide any additional information just email me at jarmstrong@hanarmco.com and we can take it offline unless someone else is interested.

Jon

[This message was edited by Jon Armstrong on Wednesday, 02 January 2002 at 03:22 PM.]

Comment

Working...
        X