This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Secu-16 behavior

I have magnetic garage door switches hard-wired to an Secu-16. I have a value change triggered event set up to detect when a door is opened or closed. The problem is every time a door is opened or closed, the value state changes 3 times. For example, it changes from 1 to 0, 0 to 1 and 1 to 0 when a door is closed. It ends up in the correct state (0) but why does it change 3 times to get there? Same happens the other way -- 0 to 1, 1 to 0 and 0 to 1 occurs when a door is opened. This all happens in less than one second.

My guess is that the contacts are a little too far apart. The door is probably vibrating a little as it's opening and closing and the reed relay in the contact is bouncing. If possible you may want to put a shim on one of them to try to get them a little closer together.

I have my garage doors on the Secu16 and haven't seen the problem you describe. I've even using the cheap RadioShack contacts.

g

Comment

That parameter should be set to 0. It is originally set as 10 meaning that the Ocelot will look for modules every ten minutes. For some reason I had a lot of contacts going on and off repeatedly. After resetting that parameter to 0, it went away. Might be coincidence but....

SteveP

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check both.

I downloaded the latest version of HS that I believe sets Parameter 7 to zero. How can I check that? I know the CMAX utility will display the parameters, but I have to shut down HS before I can start CMAX, don't I? If HS did set the parm to zero, would it still be zero even after HS is shut down?

Regarding the magnetic switches on my doors, they are good quality switches installed by the alarm company when the house was built. I never had them tied into the alarm system so I just used them for HS input. I believe they are adjustable so I will check to be sure they are adjusted properly.

Comment

Parameter 7 is stored in the Ocelot and will remain 0 even if you shut down homeseerer. Using C-Max, go to CPUXA Utilities and Retrieve CPUXA parameters.

Kevin Barrett
          ADI Tech Support

Comment

I also thought it was switches but never actually was.

Shut down HS, check it out in CMAX, and go back to HS.

It's worth a try.

It's great that Rich already incorporated that fix.

SteveP

Comment

I checked and my Ocelot parameter 7 is zero. I assume it's been that way since I installed the latest beta of HS which sets it to zero. The problem with the garage door sensors still exists.

I checked the magnetic contacts and the magnet is as close to the switch as I dare put it. Any closer and I'm afraid they would hit then the door opens and closes if the rails flex any.

Comment

I tested another Secu-16 input and found it does the same thing. I have a whole-house emergency generator with a 120V relay connected to the generator output. I have the contacts of the relay connected to an Secu-16 input so I can tell when the generator is running. I started the generator manually and the status changed 3 times -- ON to OFF to ON.

I am really starting to wonder if I don't have a bad Ocelot or Secu-16. (See another post about CRC errors).

Comment

DC,

A quick thought. It sounds like a transient of some sort. Do you have the inputs set as supervised and the 1K resistor across the inputs to the SECU16?

Also on the CRC errors, I had those some time ago and it was either a loose power connection or the RS-485 connection. If none of these ideas work maybe a ground loop somewhere??

Jon

Comment

Jon,

In HS, I have the inputs set as "digital". "Supervised" isn't an option in HS. Is there somewhere else I need to check?

Yes, I do have a 1K resistor between the input and common connector. This would mean it's in parallel with the sensor switch. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

I have checked the power and RS-485 connections and they seem to be good.

What is a ground loop and how would I check for that?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

DC,

The supervised setting is in hardware there is a jumper for each input and its pin 2 and 3 connected. I think this was the default setting but you might check. The "digital" setting is correct for HS. You are also correct that the resistor goes parallel to the contacts being monitored for closure.

A ground loop is a generic term that probably was not very helpful. One of the problems that I have encountered with the SECU16 is that one side of the input is a common connection.

When you have other things connected to the various inputs of the secu16, the SECU is also connected through the 485 interface to an Ocelot, the power connections, the Ocelot connected to the serial interface to your PC, etc. it is a far more complex situation electrically than you might expect. Currents often flow in strange ways that spoof the SECU16. I think the Ocelot/SECU16 are well designed but I know others have had problems because the inputs are not entirely isolated.

So to troubleshoot disconnect everything except the minimum necessary connections. Put the SECU16 next to the Ocelot, disconnect from all internal home wiring and use a momentary switch and see if you get the same problem.

If that solves it then you can add back the various pieces until the trouble starts again.

Hopefully someone else may have a better process but if it is this sort of problem they can be difficult to nail down.

Good luck,

Jon

Comment

Actually, Jon gave you some good advice here.

I ended up with the Ocelot and SECUs mounted together and I have a toggle mounted on the first input just for testing.

SteveP

Comment

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble to disconnect everything to try to fix this. I have an Ocelot and Secu16 side-by-side. Every input on the Secu16 is used. I have another one, with 16 inputs, on the way. I'm really not into this HA thing as a hobby. It can definitely be a lot of work to set it all up but, once it's set up, I want it to work 100% with little to no effort required to maintain it. If I have to continuously tinker with things to keep it working, it's really more trouble than it's worth. Automation should be labor SAVING!

Comment

Working...
                          X