This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secu 16 4-20Ma input - what is it

I am wiring some things to my Secu16, and setting up the inputs.

the manual says there is a type of input 4-20mA (jumper on pins 1,2).

i understand the other two electrical signal types. what is this one looking for? soemthing that will provide one of the two current levels at some indeterminate voltage?

Not having the Secu16 I can only guess what the jumper does but in industry it would probably change the input from voltage to currect input.
    The 4-20mA is a standard output from devices representing the range of the device e.g Temperature 0-100C would be 4-20mA, 4 being equivalent to 0C and 20 being equivalent to 100C. The 4mA off-set is there for equipment to detect broken wire (no current). If not already accounted for in the Secu16 software then the 4mA off-set must be adjusted for.
    It is also possible to transmit current over a longer distance of cable, depending on the supply voltage of the sending device, the cable resistance and the input resistance of the sensing input (usually 250ohms). In home automation there will be very few items that will have this sort of output available, especially in the UK. Without the link I suspect the input will be voltage e.g. 0-10volts DC would be equivalent to the range of the sending device.
    Trust the above makes sense.

Comment

Good explanation - thank you

Comment

No problem any time.

Comment

Working...
        X