This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all you HS/Ocelot/Secu16 users out there - a built in WatchDog timer

Many may already be doing this or not care but it has saved my butt a couplet times.

Windows (of course not HS) from time to time will lock up. HS is a mission critical app [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I implemented a watch dog timer, which keeps and eye on the HA box and if it is locked then reboots it. My method was crude but worked. Then I came across this article in HomeToys which talks about a nice algorithm to do this.

Essentially, the Ocelot sets a variable every 10mins, HS triggers an event and resets the variable to 9. If Ocelot seens the change within 30 seconds, then it resets the 10min timer and starts over.

If not then it sets another variable and checks again in 30 secs (this is a just incase HS is really busy timer). If the variable is not reset then it flips a relay on the Secu16 wired to the reset switch on the HA server (you could prob use an X10 device here but then that is not all that reliable) and reboots it.

There is some other logic there to handle the serve maintenance times.

Check it out and hope this helps some people!

http://www.hometoys.com/tips/tips25.htm

- Tom

I have thought about using the Ocelot and Secu16 in a similar fashion but just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I was thinking of this logic which I think would be a simpler approach:

1. Have an Ocelot timer that counts up from 8800 to 10000. Since the timer is in seconds, this would be 20 minutes.

2. If Timer > 10000, reset the PC.

3. HS resets the timer to 8800 every 15 minutes (or every 9 minutes if you want to give HS two chances before a reboot).

4. HS shutdown script sets the timer to zero. HS startup script sets the timer to 8800 again.

This would keep the Ocelot logic simpler because there is only one variable. Setting the value to zero on HS shutdown doesn't change the way the Ocelot pgm works, but it effectively allows HS to be down for a long time (almost a week) without restarting the server.

Comment

I have been doing the same thing.

In the ocelot I have a timer that starts counting on startup.

if variable 27 =63 then reset timer and set variable to 47
      homeseer sets variable to 63 every minute.

if timer reaches 3 minutes turn off all heating/cooling/sprinkling/important relays.

Turn on Relay with buzzer.

then at 15 minutes send off and on to appliance module server is plugged into.
      I think it has tripped once in about a year. when I had a power hit.

I was thinking at 30 minutes to blink all the lights in the house every minute or so. ( but what if I wasn't home ). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

StevenE
      Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Could somebody post their CMAX prg for those of us who haven't played with the Ocelot coding very much?

SteveP

Comment

Working...
        X