This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning Sony IR

I have an older Ocelot (All red LEDs) and have successfully taught it IR codes in the past. All formerly functioning IR is still working. But I am trying to get my Sony Receiver (STR-D665) to change inputs so I can make my Homeseer machine speak through the patio speakers when we're outside.
    I have tried learning through both Homeseer (using plu-in 1.0.18) and C-Max (latest version and executive). The learning process "seems" to go well and something is indeed stored. I am using powermids to bounce the signal into the livingroom and therefore get some feedback from the Powermid transmitter led that a signal is being sent, but it doesn't change the status of the equipment. If I point the OEM remote at the powermid, the signal does cause the desired result, so I know my transmission method is working. One note that might be of interest is that the signal sent out of the Ocelot is of much shorter duration than that sent from the OEM remote.
    Not sure where to go on this. I've considered wiping everything out and starting over with all learning, but don't want to risk losing the functionality that I already have. Is there a way to clear the memory in the Ocelot?
    I briefly played with Genirdb last night but didn't have the time to really get into it. Also, I couldn't find the Pronto codes for this receiver on RemoteCentral. From what I've read the Sony receiver shouldn't be a challenge. One more thing. I read (somewhere) THAT sONY USES A 40 KHZ carrier frequency instead of the default 38. I tried changing it in C-Max, but it didn't help.
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Jim Fricke

[This message was edited by Jim Fricke on Wednesday, 28 August 2002 at 10:31 AM.]

Check this out:
    Remote Central
    I think you are stuck if thats the case.

Your other bet is an S-linkE from Nirvis if your amp has ControlA1/S jacks on it.

I've not had any trouble getting the ocelot to learn any of my Sony kit and as far as I am aware there are no problems except with the old air egg stuff.

Not much help possibly, but some further info for your quest.

Jon UK

Comment

Thanks Jon.
      I checked out the link you recommended. I'm happy to say that my receiver isn't "Touched by Vision".
      You may be right in that I'll have an excuse to get the Slink-E. As I have a Sony CD Jukebox, it's "almost" justifiable now! My wife doesn't see it that way though.

Jim Fricke

Comment

You can't erase the learned IRs, but you can learn over the old IRs starting at 1.

Did you try placing the Ocelot in the room with the device and communicate directly to it not going through the power mids? I've used Sony remotes with the Ocelot without problems.

Also, when you transmit IR observe variable 60. Does it show the correct IR number you are transmitting?

Kevin Barrett
        ADI Tech Support

Comment

Jim,

Sony commands usually work great with the Ocelot. Here is a file generated with GenIRDB with all the common commands including discrete power and input commands for a Sony receiver. I have also included the protocol and device file to use them with GenIRDB, but I have already created the lir file that can be uploaded to the Ocelot.

Save (download to PC) your existing file in CMax. Upload the sony receiver.lir file into the ocelot from the PC in CMax. The sony_rcvr.dvc file is a text file and open that and it will tell you what commands are in what IR position. For example:

40- Power On =Sony12:16,46,4 is the entry for the discrete power on command it is in IR position 40 in the Ocelot. See if this works.

Also, the Powermids usually work great but they can get RF interference and flash away some times when no IR signal is present.

If this works, I (or you) can append this file to you lir file keep in mind that the IR positions will change since these IR position numbers mean nothing to GenIRDB or CMax or the Ocelot.

Finally, when learning don't forget to *always* put in fresh batteries in your remote.

-Jon
          Attached Files

Comment

Jon, Thank you for sending the files. I'm looking forward to testing it. But it will have to wait as my wife and daughter are watching some music awards show and they'll kill me if the tests are successful!
            Kevin, thanks also for your input. I'll watch variable 60 to see what happens. Unfortunately moving the Ocelot to the receiver is a big job that I'll save for a last resort. However I will say that other commands that the Ocelot has learned make it to the other equipment in the cabinet just fine. Also, I can control the receiver through my Powermid scheme with the original remote, so it seems that I can get IR commands through ok.
            As a quick first test, I'll try fresh batteries.

Jim Fricke

Comment

Finally had some time to work on this today. Turns out there was NO problem with the Ocelot learning IR. It seems that there is some problem with transmittng IR from the Ocelot Via the Powermids to SOME equipment. I'm guessing that there is some signal degredation due to the Powermids and that the Ocelot's IR output isn't as strong as the OEM remotes. Thanks again for the input and help.

Jim Fricke

Comment

Working...
              X