This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I've read all day but I still have questions on IR distribution

Newbie in IR here. I connect the Ocelot to my pc and learn codes. How do I get the codes from the Ocelot to my system down stairs. I have a CD player, DVD, receiver, and VCR. What do I need at this location to receive the codes and distribute them to all the separates. I also have a second receiver in another location. Can all the codes be sent to both locations and only the ones that apply be used at that location. I haven't bought the Ocelot yet. I want to be able to change the input source on my receiver from say CD to AUX for HS to speak and then back to CD. Is this possible with the Ocelot? Do I need a ADISECU16IR IR output module?

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I'm using the powermid RF things. They have worked great for me. YMMV of course with it being RF. I'm also still using the PCIR (& Win98). Still hoping for a Win2k/XP solutions to the PCIR. Trying to hold out as long as possible to get an Ocelot.

If your second receiver is of a different make then you should be able to just broadcast all IR signals.

Comment

Using the Ocelot to briefly switch from the CD input to the FM tuner (preset station), Make an announcewment, them switch back to CD but only if we're on the patio. The Ocelot is now doing that as well as controlling the CD changer just fine by itself. As long as your equipment is not identical, there seems to be no reason that I know of not to just blast the same thing to all locations. There seems to be no limit to the individual "signatures" available to use as infrared codes.
      As to distribution methods, I am now using the Powermids with largely successful results. But they have caused problems. As time allows, I will replace them with a hard wired system. Unfortunately, the only way to know if they'll work is to try them. Also I am having a bit of trouble getting my new cable box codes into the Ocelot. You may want to post a list of your equipment (including model numbers) here just to see if there are any known incompatibilities.
      Hope this is helpful.

Jim Fricke

Comment

Is there a device that can plug into the ocelot and be routed, say down stairs, to the stereo cabinet and blast all signals to all equipment?

-Rupp

Comment

It's been a while since I last looked into this, so I lack details but it can be done. I recall there being some issue with the output signal from the Ocelot being incompatible with the Xantech equipment. One work around was to use the Ocelot's plug-in emitter directed at a Xantech IR target (consider this an optical coupling) and then going through the connecting block to the emitters. I think someone came up with another way that was more hardwired though. Maybe someone from ADI will chime in with more details on this.

Jim Fricke

Comment

Rupp,

Actually the Ocelot output is compatible with Xantech emitters, it's just the input that requires the optical coupling. A Xantech amp and emitter should accomplish what you need, or just add a SECU16IR and put it in the equipment closet. That way there are no long IR runs and you can do zoned output.

Zac

Comment

Your talking to a beginner here so translate this into links and english terms. I haven't purchased an Ocelot yet and before I do I want to get all the "parts" lined up. OK, I have my Ocelot connected to my PC. rom there what do I need to hard wire this to my stereo that is downstairs? I have 2 different locations to serve so if you could guide me I would appreciate it. TIA

-Rupp

Comment

I have succesfully connected an IR distribution amp the the ir output on the ocelot and it works fine.

Zac,

You say that the ir input on the Ocelot needs to be optically coupled. Why is this, is there something funny with the connections.
                I need to connect an external receiver because the Homeseer computer is upstairs and the RS232 cable doesn't work properly at that distance. A thinner cable is easier to hide aswell.

I have just bought a receiver today and was about to wire it in when I saw this thread. Before I do it I think I need some more info. I was guessing that the tip was signal in to the ocelot, ring was + and barrel was ground. Now you made me nervous! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
                I was hoping to avoid the powermid solution.

Is there a 'genuine' ADI input device? I have never seen one and I bet you can't get one in the UK!

Jon P

Comment

Rupp,
                  I built the "IR Blaster" that was in the Hometoys article written by Guy Lavoie. I'll have to look up the specifics, but you may be able to find it. This is a really simple circuit that amplifies the IR out of the Ocelot and drives a high-power IR LED. I ran a pair of wires from a CAT5 from my basement (where the blaster circuit is) up to a point near the ceiling in my family room (where the LED is), about 20 feet from all my AV equipment. It works flawlessly, and I control all the on/off and mode set-up of my AV system through HS and the Ocelot. Except for when one of my kids is standing directly in front of the audio rack, I've never seen this little blaster circuit. Take a look at hometoys... Let me know and I can give you more details if you need them.

Steve

Comment

I searched the site for "IR Blaster" and couldn't find anything. I find that site very hard to navigate. Is it just me? If you find the link I would appreciate it.

-Rupp

Comment

Rupp

If the 2 locations can receive the same IR at the same time (single IR zone), it's pretty easy.
                      The IR out jack on the ocelot is connected to a xantech 789-44 Xantech info (pdf)
                      You would NOT use a power supply on the 789-44 - it's only used to supply power to Xantech IR receivers. Use a mono jack for the ocelot IR out, and connect the wire that goes to the tip (center) to the signal input on the 789-44, and the wire that goes to the ring (outer shaft) to the GND input on the 789-44. No connections to the +12VDC or Status inputs on the 789-44.

Now you have 4 emitter outputs on the 789-44 that you can wire to your destinations - in your case just use 2 of them. There should be no 'gotchas' here - just need 2 wires to carry signal / ground to where you want the emitter or blaster. You can use a Xantech CB12 to make it easier to connect the wires to an emitter jack, but it's not needed.

As long as you don't use too many emitters on the 789-44, you should be OK. If you need a lot of emitters, you can use a 791-44 (and power supply) which amplifies the outputs instead of the 789-44 .

Comment

Don't use a standard IR receiver with the ocelot - it won't work, and may even damage it. There is a special IR dongle for the ocelot (yes, that's what ADI calls it!) Also, anytime anything is inserted / removed into the IR in jack, make sure there is no power to the ocelot, since the jack has a power connection, it may short something out - especially if a mono jack is inserted!

Instead of using a jack to bring the IR input to the ocelot, hook up an emitter, and stick it over the ocelot's IR in window.

The dongle is available at Worthington
                        but is not in the online catalog, only in their print catalog -
                        ADI Catalog page

Comment

Rupp, you said that you have two different locations to serve. Is any of your IR devices the same brand? If so, do they operate on the same IR codes.
                          I have 5 locations that I need to control.
                          Location 1 - has 5 IR devices
                          Location 2 - has 5 IR devices
                          Location 3 - has 3 IR devices
                          Location 4 - has 2 IR devices
                          Location 5 - has 1 IR device
                          There is overlapping brands in every zone. In 3 of the zones I have the exact same model of satellite reciever. I alos have 3 of my 5 tvs that are the same brand. So an IR blaster would not work for me.
                          You are in the same position I was in a few months ago. Trying to decide.
                          I ended up going with the Ocelot and the Secu16IR.
                          Then I'm running cat5 from the Secu16IR to all 5 locations. Then in each location I'm putting a Buffalo IR100.
                          http://www.buffaloelectronics.com/p-ir100.htm

The IR100 has 4 outputs for emitters.
                          http://www.worthdist.com/xantech/emittersnp.htm
                          I ordered the X284-10 Dual emitter because it was cheaper to order 1 of the duals than to order 2 single emitters.
                          Connect the emitters to the IR100 and then run them to the equipment you want to control.

Jeff Farmer

--
                          Jeff Farmer
                          HS 3, HSPhone
                          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Hometoys Tips and Tricks - Entry 7 Across-the-room Infrared control - Guy Lavoie

blaster info

Comment

Rupp,

It looks like your questions have already been answered, but I'll throw in my overview anyway. Steve, Jeff, and Jim have all listed good solutions, it just depends on your arrangement. If your IR locations are close and all of your devices are different, then you could just send the same signal to everyone. This can be done with the small Xantech or Buffalo emitters and a small amp, or the blaster that was mentioned. Or, with a SECU16IR, you can define different IR zones to send the signal to. This is useful if you have two identical devices, such as a pair of cheap stereo amps for whole house audio, and you don't want both to respond to commands. You can create zones even if the equipment is in the same physical location by using IR blinders over the emitters. These are basically just plastic caps that stick over the emitter so that the signal is only received by the device that it is intended for. Electrical tape can be used too, although not as elegant a solution.

Jon P,

As Jim stated, do *not* plug a standard receiver into the Ocelot. The ocelot uses a different configuration than virtually everyone else and connecting a non-ADI receiver dongle can damage the input circuit. The ADI receiver is very inexpensive ~$10, but tends to have a narrower field of view than the Xantech style receivers and is not quite as aesthetically pleasing. For this reason, many people use a standard receiver or receivers, and then output the signal to an emitter that is stuck over the Ocelot's IR input. This seems like a "hack" but tends to work quite well and allows you to use virtually any receiver. Be certain to heed Jim's advice too about not plugging a receiver int the Ocelot while it is powered up.

Zac

Comment

Working...
                              X