This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More questions

Can I connect this extention cord to an Ocelot and then plug in this blaster at the end (50-55 feet away)to control a rack of equipment?

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Just the raw Ocelot output is enough to drive a stick-on emitter, but not enough to drive several, and nowhere near enough to drive a blaster. I think you'd need to go through an amplifier before you could go into this. (Even then it might not work.)

Nucleus Home Automation
    News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

I'm not sure Hunter, I use the stick on device you mentioned, on my Ocelot, and it works just fine.

Both the Blast IR emitter and the stick on use IR LED's. The real question is the efficiency of the device, and how close it will be to the equipment it's supposed to control. I don't doubt that it will work, but I'm not sure of the range. Heck, for that matter why not just go down to RadioShack and buy a high efficiency IR LED and roll your own? Or get two and wire them in series (check voltages for enough swing first). You could get some jacks and audio cable, solder them up and have a custom design that fits exactly to your needs.

Another possible solution would be to build in an emmitter-follower circuit inside the ocelot to pump up the current, but I'm not sure of the voltages and normal states inside the ocelot, so I don't know if an NPN or PNP is right. But properly implemented, you could probably get by with one transistor and maybe only one resistor. But then, the ocelot's small wallwart transformer may droop on the higher currents, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] especially if you have alot of those bobcat thingies hanging out.

Rupp, it's only nine bucks. Buy one.

-System Spec------
      ASUS A7V333ARU VIA KT333 MOTHERBOARD; AMD ATHLON XP PROCESSOR 2200+ (1800MHz); 1024MB DDR 333MHz DDRAM; ATI RAGE 128 CHIPSET 32MB W/ TV OUT VGA CARD; AHANIX PLATINUM XP SILVER/BLACK COLOR 9 DRIVE BAYS SPI 300W POWER SUPPLY TOOL-LESS PANELS ATX MID TOWER CASE; Win2K SP2 5Serial 1Parallel, Hawking Modem, Broadband >Mediacomm, Phillips Audio, ATT Voices, PhoneSwitch, 10/100 Ethernet, Ocelot for IR and Bobcats, CM11A for X10
      -------------
      GenevaDude

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GenevaDude:
        I'm not sure Hunter, I use the http://www.smarthome.com/8170.html device you mentioned, on my Ocelot, and it works just fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's supposed to work for one, like I said -- but it's not strong enough to run several, to which I can attest first-hand. I haven't tried a blaster, but quite a few people (including AppDig people) have said "no" previous times it's been asked, and I've no reason to disbelieve them.

That being said, I agree -- it's only $9, and if it doesn't work, adding the amplifier won't cost any more than it would have cost to just buy the amplifier and the blaster in thefirst place. Just so long Rupp is prepared for the possibility.

Nucleus Home Automation
        News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

If you go to this web site you can see how to build one.
          http://www.hometoys.com/tips/tips20.htm#Entry%207

I took that circuit and build 6 of them in parrellel to give me 6 blaster outputs. I ran telephone cable to carry the signal and at the end of the line I put a .39 cent IR LED. You are paying 10 bucks for a wire with an IR LED on the end. If you build the blaster than you will save yourself some dough and it works great.

Rob

Comment

Working...
          X