This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Ocelot user

If I want to learn and issue IR commands using the Ocelot do I have to purchase an emitter separately? If so where and what kind? I thought this would have come with the Ocelot?

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Initailly, I took the emitter that came with a Tivo and used that.
    Since then, I have ordered emitters from Worthington.

http://www.worthdist.com/xantech/emittersnp.htm

I purchased the dual ones as it was cheaper to buy a dual than two single emitters.

I have IR control in three locations so far and will eventually have 6 locations setup.

Jeff Farmer

--
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

You'll need an amplified connecting block, not an unamplified one, as the Ocelot doesn't put out a very strong signal. After extensive experimentation, I can strongly recommend this one:

Channel Vision

But I wouldn't recommend buying it from that source, as they've failed me utterly on customer service in the past. I used that link because I know where to find a good picture there, that's all.

Nucleus Home Automation | System Specs
      News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

Rupp,

Guy Lavoie designed a blaster for the Ocelot described here:

http://www.hometoys.com/tips/tips20.htm#Entry 7

And to be hyper-technical answering your original question, you don't need an external device to learn ir commands only to transmit them.

-Jon

Comment

I am using one of Guy's blasters with an Ocelot and it works great. The range isn't quite what I was hoping for so I just moved it to a different location and use a Powermid to transmit to a second location.

I want to control two other locations. I was looking at two more Powermid receivers but, if I use an amplified distribution block will that help the range and power three blasters?

SteveD

Comment

What the difference between BLINK-IR emitters and a normal emitters?

-Rupp
            ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You get a visual feedback on the blink type, otherwise you need to see IR (Video camera) to know if the signal is being emitted.

Comment

I've been using Guy's blaster (that Jon mentioned above) for well over a year now. The emitter is about 25 feet from all my A/V equipment, and it has worked flawlessly every time.

I think people should realize that it really is a simple circuit, and I think anyone can wire it up. Because it doesn't draw down the Ocelot output, you can run several of them in parallel to handle multiple rooms if necessary.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X