X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon A

Its code 500 that the 8-in-1 uses.

I have tried learning from the 8-in-1 but it doesn't work either. If you can decode code 500 that would be excellent.

All the numerical keys work, ch+,-, text, exit text, mix text/tv and the 'shrink'? key (above rewind), and also the left,right,up and down functions when shift is pressed.

You could probably make a fortune out of this in the UK if you succeed!

As to using concept1, yes i agree it can be done that way, but the 8-in-1 is a bit clunky compared to the original sony remote (one of those two way jobs- like a flip phone) and doesn't have enough buttons for all the amp adjustments. Plus I'd have to remember what they all were and my girlfriend would hate it! I shall keep that option for a last resort. I don't have a problem controlling any of the Sony kit. Its just this damn cable box.

Jon P

[This message was edited by JPLeedsUK on Saturday, 07 September 2002 at 09:36 AM.]

Comment

Assuming that it is Cable or SAT 500, I can't get any of the four different x10 remotes that I have to accept that code. I suppose that should not be a surprise since Cable/DSS STB's are the most different from continent to continent. TV's, receiver's, DVD's, CD's use pretty much identical codes worldwide.

I am going to have to upgrade my opinion of x10 remotes since they made a universal work with your STB. Has anyone tried learning the x10 signal to a Pronto? I can decode a Pronto file if you can learn to one.

Do you have a friend with an oscilliscope or can you dig around the UK newsgroups and get a link to a technical description of the signal. The Ocelot can produce signals at a much higher frequency than it can learn them.

Barry Gordon's GenIRDB can create an IR signal with any timings/frequency. I am encouraged that the Ocelot could work if x10 can get a universal remote to work.

-Jon A

Comment

Jon A

Firstly thanks for trying. This is the furthest I have got in several months!

Its a cable 500 code. My X10 remote is branded 'marmitek' which the european X10 brand. Part no. 08972EU.

I don't know anyone with a pronto, but by all accounts the pronto can't control this particular box either. I have browsed before for pronto CCF's but never found one. What I don't know is if anyone with a pronto has tried to learn from an X10 remote. All the information I have found is related to learning from the original.

Is ther anyone in the UK with a Pronto and an Marmitek X10 8-in-1 who'll try it for me?

If I can get hold of an oscilliscope (possible), how would I go about sampling the signal? Would I have to open the remote and connect to the leads on the ir LED or should I use some kind of receiver?

What kind of info would be required to be able to reproduce the codes?

Jon P

Comment

Jon P-

Lets use the Oscilloscope as the last resort. I think there are relatively cheap IR detectors (a few USD but I am concerned about their ability to detect higher IR carrier frequencies). Maybe one of the hardware experts here knows of a simple solution.

BTW, I thought there was a hardware solution some sort of detector/translator. I just skimmed through a lot of material so I may be imagining that.

-Jon

Comment

here is a link to nuts and volts magizine, this months issue has this
            Build a TV Infrared Remote Control Decoder may help with what you want to do also looks like a fun project

the link above is the code for the project you will have to get the mag for the artical

check out this link
            September 2002 Issue

[This message was edited by Radical_fish on Sunday, 08 September 2002 at 03:44 PM.]

Comment

I never succeeded at teaching the Ocelot the commands for the cable box. And to answer your question Jon, None of the commands worked.
              I have a Houselinc unit that I run on a PC in the livingroom that is only used for the Graywolf Jukebox software. As you may know it has a library from the One-For-All 6050 in it. Turns out code 417 does the trick. So I programmed that to run a "scene" that does my desired IR in response to the trigger I set up. TaDa!
              If this information leads to a code that I can upload into the Ocelot I would be grateful for any assistance since I'd like to expand the functionality in Homeseer to take advantage of the TV script as well as set VCR recording via the internet.

Thanks,

Jim Fricke

Comment

This is mainly for JPLeedsUk but may help others.

Ok, after several attempts to get a new STB out of NTL got a new DI4000-n, this model accepts both IR and IRDA. I phoned them and said that I have to pull the plug once a day as the whole box locks, also complained about the speed of the menus, channel changing etc. When the engineer turns I asked him 'nicely' for a 4000 model explaining about the speed etc. The only downside is that they all use the same IRDA remote control. See next step.

I now have a 4000 model but still cant control.

I own a IPAQ for controlling the house and didnt want to splash out on a pronto, so found this program www.pdawin.com/tvremote.exe. It loads ccf files
                Downloaded the pace ccf files. Fired them up and gave a test to see if they work. I was then able to learn the commands from this remote into Homeseer via my IR hardware (homevision). Voila..homeseer has control.

Finally, I can finish of my flash remote control [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

John F,

Can you point me in the direction of the ccf file you used? I am hopeful that it if worked for your 4000 box (using irDA if I understand correctly) it will do my 1000 box.

My problem will be that I don't have an IPAQ or similar! I'll have to look again at GenIR to see if I can tear it up into something the ocelot will cope with.

Cheers

Jon

Comment

JP, I think the main aspect is to get NTL to upgrade your box to a 4000 model, the commands were learned using standard IR which the 1000 model doenst accept. The link for the ccf files is
                    http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...r=&dv=&dt=&so=

I'm not too sure how you will get the IR out of these if you dont have an IPAQ or similiar as the ccf file just contains hex values for the IR.

Comment

I took a look at the commands and they are Philips RC5 Protocol, Device=10 the left most three digit number is the function or command code.

000 0
                      001 1
                      002 2
                      003 3
                      004 4
                      005 5
                      006 6
                      007 7
                      008 8
                      009 9
                      010 Up Arrow
                      011 Down Arrow
                      012 Power
                      015 help
                      016 Up Arrow
                      017 Down Arrow
                      032 Up Arrow
                      033 Down Arrow
                      040 back
                      047 browse
                      070 Mute
                      079 guide
                      080 Up Arrow
                      081 Down Arrow
                      082 audio
                      083 TV
                      085 Left Arrow
                      086 Right Arrow
                      087 ok
                      097 interactive
                      106 menu
                      107 r
                      109 y
                      110 b
                      111 internet
                      112 email
                      113 on demand

It will take a little bit of additional information to make them work properly if you get to that point but they can be gotten into an Ocelot.

Other than having followed this thread and a few similar elsewhere, I don't have any direct knowledge, but I think that JohnF is correct in that getting these commands into the Ocelot won't control the 1000. If you can get them to swap the boxes, I'll be glad to describe how to generate the commands.

I'll also mention that RC5 has a toggle bit and two successive identical commands need to have one bit changed in order to be recognized. To get to channel 111 will require the generation of two different commands for the numeral 1 (Numeral 1, Toggle bit=0; Numeral 1, Toggle Bit=1; and Numeral 1, Toggle bit=0)

-Jon

Comment

Your post is interesting I have just found out that my Homevision box will accept standard IR codes, (saves memory on the box if used) you speak about some extra info needed can you let me know what this is. Also I dont understand how I make a toggle bit??

I have tried sending a standard IR code of device 10 key 0 to the box put it doesnt register. How did you decide that it is device 10?

Thanks

John

[This message was edited by johnf on Monday, 14 October 2002 at 06:45 PM.]

[This message was edited by johnf on Monday, 14 October 2002 at 07:05 PM.]

Comment

John,

I am not familiar with Homevision but if it can take IR setup codes that call commands from a built-in library, then it may be capable of dealing with toggle bits internally.

The Ocelot that really depends on learned commands is more of a problem. The rules for toggle bits usually are for successive, identical button pushes.

So since I use GenIRDB a program that generates files readable by the Ocelot, I would just recommend generating two sets of commands. Then by programming macros or scripts, you just alternate them if you want to tune into channel 111.

If you do have to stick with learned commands then you can probably get by with just learning the numerals twice. it is also possible that your equipment may ignore the toggle bit and not be a problem at all.

-Jon

Comment

Working...
                          X