Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Q: Use Ocelot for general X10 or not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Q: Use Ocelot for general X10 or not?

My Ocelot and HomeSeer should be arriving in the mail today. After reading everything I could find on the web on using these things together, I'm still at a loss concerning how to control my X10 devices. Should I use a CM11A (or some such) connected directly to my PC to manage most of my general X10 stuff or should I use my TW523 connected to the Ocelot for this? I've seen some vague references to the Ocelot not supporting certain X10 messages, etc. Can someone clear this up for me? TIA.

If you have a CM11A I would start with that. Its easier to configure and you could test HS and the CM11A prior to adding the Ocelot. This would make the learning curve of the Ocelot easier as well.

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Gorsat

Welcome to the HS community!

You certainly made the right choices in components so far. I would connect the CM11A to HomeSeer and not to the Ocelot. If you want to provide a backup, you could also connect another CM11A, or a TW523 to the Ocelot. Then you could put some of your "mission critical" functions in the Ocelot, just in case your computer locks up.

Otherwise, run your X10 from the computer directly. With the CM11A, or with the TI103, you get full extended code capability. I believe that the Ocelot does not support this, but I might be wrong. Even though, if you run your X10 directly from HomeSeer and not through the Ocelot, you will experience quicker response, as you would avoid channeling through another device.

Since you are just starting out, feel free to ask all the questions you can think of. On this message board, nobody has ever asked a stupid question, so don't be embarassed to ask anything.

regards, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

GenevaDude

Comment

If you already have a CM11A, sure, use that. But if you don't yet have it, and you're trying to decide what to get, there are some big advantages to buying the Ocelot now, rather than buying a CM11A, then getting sick of its unreliability and limitations and getting an Ocelot later. Namely, the $30 or so the CM11A will cost you, only to end up in your odds-and-ends box.

The extended codes thing is not much of a big deal in actual use, because very few items use them. You won't have trouble controlling two-way lamp modules, using an RCS thermostat, etc. Actually it's a bit of a challenge to find a module or device that that limitation does apply to.

The Ocelot is definitely more expensive. The extra features (integrated infrared, relay expandability, etc.) are not enough to make up that difference. The reason to cough it up is reliability. Do a search on this board on "CM11A lockup" and count the posts; then do a search on "Ocelot lockup" and count the complete lack of posts. That's what an Ocelot is for. Is that worth the extra cost to you? Obviously it is for some people and not for others. Decide for yourself.

Nucleus Home Automation | System Specs
        News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

Thanks for the advice and for the quick responses. With a strong community like this, HS must indeed be good stuff!

Comment

In regards, to Hunters comments, which I agree with by the way, you might want to purchase a TI103 when you get the chance. The unit is more expensive though. So as Hunter said, go with the Ocelot solution for now.

When you are ready to spend a bt more, get the TI103.

Personally though, I'd rather route my X10 directly to the line from HomeSeer rather than through the Ocelot first. (I'd rather install two interfaces, one for the Ocelot and one for HomeSeer.)

GenevaDude

Comment

I'm very interested in the TI103 and other ACT products. I have a few questions about them.

It looks like there have been some probs with the TI103. Are those fixed now (or about to be fixed)? Should I buy one now or wait a while?

ACT dimmers seem to have a great feature set and a reasonable price. Can anyone comment on their reliability? Do they last long?

Also, in terms of user experience, do ACT dimmers support the standard "press and hold" paradigm to set dim level like Levitron dimmers do?

Comment

Gorsat,
                I can't speak for the dimmers, but the TI103 is working much better than my CM11A. I had problems with the X10 unit "choking" every now and then, but the ACT unit has been 100% flawless - so far. And, yes there were problems at first but these have been fixed, to my understanding.

GenevaDude

Comment

Working...
                X